Socket 939, mATX, Onboard Video, PCI-e

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

CX23882-19

Socket 939, mATX, Onboard Video, PCI-e

Post by CX23882-19 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:06 am

Hi,
At the moment I have an EPoX EP-9NDA3J motherboard and a GeForce 6200 AGP (ASUS) graphics card. Recently I have been experiencing problems with the motherboard, and I am not happy with the GeForce 6200's VGA quality either. I don't want to go down the AM2 route because that means replacing memory too (I have DDR, not DDR2).

So I am looking for a new motherboard, preferably one with integrated video. The two chipsets I have narrowed it down to are the GeForce 6150 and ATI RS482. In terms of features/performance the 6150 seems like a better option, because the ATI chipset suffers from poor USB performance, and I have seen reports of poor PCI performance too. But how does the power consumption of the two compare? I have seen a few comments that the ATI consumes less but no solid numbers.

I have a GeForce 7300LE PCI-e I removed from my other system, and I understand that to have quite low power consumption - but is it actually any lower than using the IGP? I am not interested in gaming performance, my other system is used for that. I want to aim for as low power consumption as possible, since this system is my HTPC.

Right now, I'm getting 73W idle in Windows (Athlon 64 3200+). 10W of that is consumed by the twin TV cards. I did replace those (which use traditional can tuners) with a single silicon-tuner based dual-tuner card, at one point (and the power consumption was considerably lower) but the tuner performance was poor in comparison.