Gigabyte P35 DS3R won't POST

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jeepescu

Gigabyte P35 DS3R won't POST

Post by jeepescu » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:44 am

Hello everyone,

After putting everything together this weekend and turning the power ON, well, nothing.
No POST, no beep, nothing at all, monitor stays black, does not even power on (the monitor).

I started taking stuff off the MB, disconnected the hd, then the DVD, then took out the video, then the RAM, everything to no avail.

The fan on the ninja (connected to the cpu fan header on the MB) has a "twitch" when I turn the power on, but it never starts spinning. If i give it a nudge, it will start and keeps on spinning at a low RPM. The fins on the ninja are warm, not hot. The heatsink of the 8400GS are warm as well and I hear the PS fan humming.
Power on switch is correctly plugged into the mb, as I can hear the PS fan go on and the ninja fan twitch when I turn the power on. If I keep pressing the power switch for a few seconds, the system will shutdown (cou fan stops spinning and ps fan turns off).

System info:
PS: Corsair HX620
MB: Gigabyte P35 DS3R
CPU: Q6600 with scythe ninja
RAM Corsair DDR-800
GPU: Gigabyte 8400GS

Theories:
1. PS dead
2. MB dead
3. Short between the MB and the case

Here is my plan of action:
I have another system that I know is working, a Neo HE with a Asus AM2 mb. I intend to take the PS out of that system and test it on the P35, and test the corsair on the Asus. This will hopefully give me more info to crunch.

Any thoughts?

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:13 am

Did you clear CMOS first thing? Its happend on a few of my builds and I got into the habbit of clearing the CMOS and then setting optimaly defaults before I start to make my own changes.

jeepescu

Good call copyright, with a twist.

Post by jeepescu » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:28 pm

Good intuition copyright.

I forgot to mention in my initial post that I already tried that yesterday night, and did not fix anything.
This afternoon, before unplugging everything (that 8 pin cable underneath the ninja is a real @#$%^), I reset the CMOS again, this time with a proper jumper (yesterday I tried with a screwdriver).

Oh miracle!! Everything came up to life.

Morals of the story: Use a jumper to reset cmos, not a screwdriver.

BN

Copyright

Post by Copyright » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:34 pm

Awesome.. glad you got it up and going. I am about to do a build with that board next week. I dont want to be hearing bad stuff about it LOL.

kuhnto

Post by kuhnto » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:51 am

Glad to hear you fixed it.

FYI to anyone else out there where there might be a no post issue, try re-seating the CPU. The first time I installed the CPU I kind of just plopped it in there, and I think it was kind of somehow crooked. There is a little tiny plastic notch think sticking out on the right/front side of socket that the chip was kind of resting against and seemed to be causing a problem. I now also make sure to push a little on the back side (3/4 of the way to the hinge) of the hinged cover when clamping it down. This allows for a little more "even" pressure.

Tom Kuhn