CPU: if it's crying, is it dying?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zed Lopez
*Lifetime Patron*

CPU: if it's crying, is it dying?

Post by Zed Lopez » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:56 am

I took apart a computer to give it a thorough cleaning -- too much dust and cat fur had gotten inside. On reassembly, the CPU itself seems to be making a conspicuous whine, cycling high to low, sort of like a mobo's alarm noise (but not nearly so loud as that.)

I've stopped the case fan and the CPU fan indepedently -- it's not them. Just listening closely for where the sound is seems to rule out the hard drive (which is reasonably quiet, and which I just suspended) and the power supply .

The noise varies a little with activity, occasionally going silent for a moment before the whine resumes. And it's initially quiet during boot, until it's booted from the hard drive (but I swear the noise isn't the hard drive, which is far enough away from the CPU that that'd be obvious.)

Has anyone experienced a CPU starting to behave like this? Is it a sign of imminent death?

jackylman

Post by jackylman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:09 am

There's a thread called 'BE-2350 whine' that's still on the front page of this forum (currently just a few threads down). This sounds similar to that.

Direct link: viewtopic.php?t=43883

wwenze

Post by wwenze » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:14 pm

I continued using my whining VA-20 for at least 6 months IIRC, there was no problem whatsoever even when I stressed it hard. After that, the guy whom I sold it to never complained about anything too. Maybe he couldn't complain about the whine since it was clearly stated there when I sold it off at half price.