35W SFF X2 3800+ is available again

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

awolfe63

35W SFF X2 3800+ is available again

Post by awolfe63 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:13 pm

Newegg seems to have OEM 35W Athlon x2 3800+ (the SFF version) in stock.
I haven't been able to find them anywhere to try. I just ordered a couple. I'll post when I try them. Good luck.

djkest

Post by djkest » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:26 pm

Wow, thats great. For those of you who haven't used this CPU, it's got plenty of horsepower for just about anything that would be considered normal use. With the right hardware and CnQ you could get a real efficient system this way.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:03 pm

Curious. They were supposedly unavailable because they got channelled off to become mobile CPUs... and to HP's low power systems. Maybe the latter is now discontinued?

LAThierry

Post by LAThierry » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:48 pm

I was highly interested in that chip when we first heard of it about a year ago. Nowadays, it feels like the girl I used to have a crush on long ago but I've moved on...

Should I make room in heart for this 35w dual core? What decent AM2 motherboard would you pair it up with?

I mostly code, haven't touched games in a year and nowadays Youtube is as graphic-intensive as it gets. Is there such a thing as a dual-monitor integrated graphics chip?
Last edited by LAThierry on Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djkest

Post by djkest » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:58 pm

For an interesting combo, you might look at one of the recent BIOSTAR uATX boards with the nVidia 7050 integrated graphics. Nice performance, and very low power consumption. I'm not sure about the dual monitors though.

RedAE102
Friend of SPCR

Post by RedAE102 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:51 pm

Not so fast, guys... I ordered this part from them over the weekend for possible use in a Ubuntu/MythTV-based HTPC I'm slowly gathering the parts for, and it arrived today...

What I ordered:
ADD3800IAA5CU

What they sent me:
ADO3800IAA5CS, AKA a standard 65W Windsor

I'll be calling them tomorrow to sort this out. I'll keep you guys posted.

LAThierry

Post by LAThierry » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:05 pm

Very glad I alt-backed to SPCR. I had one of those and a Scythe mini ninja in my shopping cart... RedAE102, thanks for your post and I hope Newegg corrects your order promptly.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:36 am

also,is this really so unique considering you can now get BE-2350/2400? tiny undervolt will get >35W.

LAThierry

Post by LAThierry » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:13 am

As of this morning, Newegg's website is still confusing. The description says two model numbers ADD3800 (35w) and ADO3800 (65w), while the picture shows an ADA3800 (90w). Red emphasis mine.

shadestalker

Post by shadestalker » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:46 am

Mistakes do happen.

LAThierry

Post by LAThierry » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:58 am

jaganath wrote:also,is this really so unique considering you can now get BE-2350/2400? tiny undervolt will get >35W.
The BE2400 is nearly twice the price of the ADD3800 at Newegg, $110 versus $60. However, we have yet to see if Newegg did intent to sell the ADD3800 or if it was a shipping error on their part.

LAThierry

Post by LAThierry » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:03 pm

Newegg responded the following:

***start***

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

Please kindly note that all the information you see on Newegg.com comes directly from the manufacturer. We guarantee the information provided on our website. In checking your item we show that it is 35W and the price is $59.99 with free 3 days shipping now. However, if you would like to contact the manufacturer for accurate answers, you may call them at 408-749-3060. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please visit our FAQs page. If you still need assistance, please feel free to email me directly and I will be happy to assist you.

Thank you

***end***

As much as I like Newegg's prices and selection, they (or at least the person who replied to my email) seem quick to be pointing the finger elsewhere in this case.

RedAE102
Friend of SPCR

Post by RedAE102 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:51 pm

I called Newegg this morning and spoke at length with the customer service rep. She made a call to someone in the warehouse to check the number on the ones in stock, and assured me that if I return this one for replacement, I will get the ADD3800AA5CU that I ordered. The RMA was issued, and they e-mailed me the return shipping label, and I dropped it off at a UPS store this afternoon. Time will tell if they have what they say they have. I'll believe it when I'm holding it in my hand.

That said, Newegg's customer service serves as a shining beacon of hope in this world of, "The corporation is always right. Please take a number and we will deal with you at our leisure." Apart from her calling the warehouse, I was on hold all of 5 seconds.

drees

Post by drees » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:39 am

Thanks RedAE102 for the update. Good to know that NewEgg is fixing the issue at no extra cost to you. I frequently order from NewEgg because of their prices and good reputation.

I went to Ruth's Chris last night for dinner with my wife - our appetizer didn't make it out in a timely manner (our meal arrived first). The manager apologized profusely and the appetizer was free, and also told us that desert would also be on the house, so make sure you order two! We got cheesecake to take home (they insisted! we would have only ordered one desert otherwise) He also stopped by a couple times later to make sure everything else was OK. That is the type of customer service that keeps people coming back (and telling their friends!)

Now you can't expect NewEgg to be throwing in free stuff with the operating margins they must operate on, but many retailers give you a hard time about paying for RMA shipping even when the issue is totally their fault. If NewEgg cross-shipped the order and/or offered to pay for shipping for a future order, that would be icing on the cake.

Let us know how the ADD3800AA5CU turns out!

djkest

Post by djkest » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:30 pm

I'm wondering what the stock voltage is, and if it could be further lowered to 1.0V or LESS!

LAThierry

Post by LAThierry » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:41 pm

It seems the elusive ADD3800 dual-core will forever remain outside of our reach. All those who reviewed this item on Newegg mention mention receiving the 65w version.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:50 pm

you know what they say, if it looks to good to be true....
I'm wondering what the stock voltage is, and if it could be further lowered to 1.0V or LESS!
stock Vcore is 1.025/1.075 V on ADD3800. all AM2 X2 3800 will do <1V, only question is at what frequency. my ADA3800IAA5CU does [email protected], haven't tried lower.

LAThierry

Post by LAThierry » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:02 pm

The link in my last comment previously showed 5 reviews. Now, it's down to one (they left the one with a 5-egg rating) plus my "complaint" which I suspect will also disappear...

RedAE102
Friend of SPCR

Post by RedAE102 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:24 pm

Alas, the product has been "deactivated" on their site... I'm going to call them in a few minutes, as I have confirmation that they got my return yesterday at 9:45 AM. I'll keep you guys posted, but this definitely is looking like a case of "too good to be true"...

RedAE102
Friend of SPCR

Post by RedAE102 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:57 pm

As I had figured when I first placed the order, the 35W part was a mistake. All they have are the 65W Windsors. I'm told I'll receive a full refund on Monday or Tuesday.

I think I'll be looking for a better board with BIOS undervolting options for my HTPC. It's really a pity that both my Biostar boards (TF7025-M2 and TF7050-M2) lack this.

On the RMA front, I never thought I'd be looking forward to getting my 7200.10 Seagate drive back. This old WD1200AB (5400rpm Protege) salvaged from my mom's dead eMachines is driving me up a wall. The seek noises are nearly nonexistent, but at idle it emits this metallic "ringing" at an extremely annoying frequency. It doesn't seem that loud when you're near it, but it can be clearly heard from the next room!

awolfe63

Post by awolfe63 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:06 am

Yep - I got 65W parts too. Sending them back. I'll try the 45W parts instead.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:11 pm

These 35W chips are about as easy to locate as Bigfoot. Has anyone here actually bought the CPU itself and not in a pre-built system?

aaroncgi

Post by aaroncgi » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:22 am

Argh, seems I was a victim of this as well! The description clearly said 35W and ADD3800AA5CU when I placed my order on 11/11. Then the part suddenly went out of stock after mine shipped. Now when I check my order history, the description has completely changed and it says 65W ADO3800IAA5CS. Of course, I just put my heatsink on tonight and didn't look at the part number on the CPU first. Oh well, I don't really feel like taking my heatsink off and cpu out to check. :) Conveniently for Newegg, the packing slip doesn't elaborate on the wattage or AMD item number, not to mention it's beyond seven days anyhow.

In the end, it's still the CPU that I wanted, and the 35w was icing on the cake. I guess now I have a cake without icing. We'll find out for sure when I boot the system tomorrow and see what voltage it's at. It could be worse, like the 89W X2 3800+.

aaroncgi

Post by aaroncgi » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:53 am

Yep, it's definitely the X2 65W Windsor 3800+. Core voltage is 1.21V. Still, my Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro would seem to be able to passively cool it. If I turn the fan off completely, the CPU temperature doesn't rise, and it's only sitting at 30C. How can you argue with that? I've never had a CPU run this cool. I set the fan at 20% anyway because it's inaudible. I suppose I could always experiment to see how much it could be undervolted, but my deal is silence, not saving every last watt. We have fluourescent light bulbs in the entire house and a heat pump, so we're already saving a good bit.

Mohan

Post by Mohan » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:40 am

My DX4/100 ran cooler :)

lefko

I have both a 35 and 65 watt version -- Cool and Quiet --

Post by lefko » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:25 pm

Hey there,

I finally went through and logged in so I can share some info. I am finally able to give back after using these sites to figure out what is going on -- for everything. I think this information is interesting.

Anyway, I have a 65 watt 3800+ and a 35watt 3800+. I got both on ebay. I mistakenly got the 65 watt version a while ago. I didn't understand then about the numbering and thought the Windsor core was the 35 watt. I was trying to build a HTPC. It was still better than what I was using. I chose the ASUS M2A-VM HDMI for the MB, and 2 gig of DDR800. The system worked pretty well, except I had a lot of trouble getting cool and quiet to work. The simptom was that it would work with the screen resolution set low (like 1024x768) but would not work at 1080i or 720p. My resolution needs to be 1776x1000 for my Toshiba HM167.

The Cool and Quiet issue finally solved by removing 1 stick of memory (ASUS told me to do this). Their drivers and BIOS are not quite baked yet. However, once I enabled CnQ I was able to go back up to 2 gig of ram.

I saw a 35watt on ebay. It came from some ebay store thing in Canada. It was unopened. The box says 35watts and the numbers are correct. i have not seen one since.

I found that 35watt CPU during the experimentation process on getting cool and quiet to work. What I decided to do was upgrade my desktop PC, and get the exact same board to help debug the CnQ issues I was having, since, at that point, I didn't know if it was the board or the bios version or the CPU or the memory. There is a lot of questions out there that apparently are not answered. Also, at that point I did not get in touch with the right people, and no tech support person was giving me the right answer.

What I found, after I got the Cool and Quiet stuff working was that there is an issue with the 35 watt version on either MB in that I can not run it with stock settings with the DDR800 timings. It would run for a minute or two then hang, bluescreen, etc. I had to drop down to 667 timings. After that it was stable. I got clues about this by googling cool and quiet and stability issues with the MB.

My suspicion is that there are issues with the lower wattage core AMD does not want in the general public. I wonder if the desktop systems have PC6400 or lower versions of DDR ram in them. If this truly is the case, having worked in a chip company before, I could imagine them not wanting this out in the general public because it could increase the number of support calls which is what they are all about. If that is the reason they are wrong because people would definitely buy it anyway to get the lower max power.

heero884

Post by heero884 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:07 pm

aaroncgi wrote:Argh, seems I was a victim of this as well! The description clearly said 35W and ADD3800AA5CU when I placed my order on 11/11. Then the part suddenly went out of stock after mine shipped. Now when I check my order history, the description has completely changed and it says 65W ADO3800IAA5CS. Of course, I just put my heatsink on tonight and didn't look at the part number on the CPU first. Oh well, I don't really feel like taking my heatsink off and cpu out to check. :) Conveniently for Newegg, the packing slip doesn't elaborate on the wattage or AMD item number, not to mention it's beyond seven days anyhow.

In the end, it's still the CPU that I wanted, and the 35w was icing on the cake. I guess now I have a cake without icing. We'll find out for sure when I boot the system tomorrow and see what voltage it's at. It could be worse, like the 89W X2 3800+.
Another victim reporting in..

At least you're happy with your purchase.. I built a AM2 system around this supposed 35W Windsor only to find out it was a 65W Windsor. I tried calling in to get a refund and they kept insisting that the product information never advertised a 35W Windsor. She then insisted I had received what I had ordered. I told her to look up the call logs between myself and a Rep a couple weeks ago where I was assured that I would get a 35W Windsor but she simply said that no log exists. I then referred her to this website but continued to insist that the product information was never modified and that it had always said 65W.

I just want to say, thanks again Newegg and congratulations on losing a customer.
Chat InformationPlease wait while we connect you to a Newegg representative.
Chat InformationThank you for contacting Newegg. My name is Darlene. How may I assist you today?
Me: Hello
Me: I'm having a issue with a replacement CPU.
Me: on SO# XXXXXXXX
Me: I ordered a 35W 3800+ X2 CPU.
Me: I received a 65W 3800+ X2 CPU.
Me: I got a RMA for that processor to get the correct CPU on SO# XXXXXXXX
Me: The processor I have received was also a 65W 3800+ X2 CPU.
Me: I checked the listing for the CPU and it is no longer advertised as a 46W 3800+ X2 CPU.
Me: It is listed as a 65W 3800+ X2 CPU.
Me: Since you guys do not offer the product I would like getting a alternative CPU.
Me: Is anyone there?
Darlene: Yes I'm here.
Darlene: Your order shows that you did order 65W so that is why we are sending you that item.
Me: No, the information was updated to say 65W but originally it said 35W.
Me: Is there any way to verify that?
Darlene: I can submit a request to the proper department so that they can take a look into this.
Me: Well since the CPU advertised isn't offered I would like to purchase a alternative CPU.
Me: Is there any way to waive the shipping cost?
Darlene: I apologize Sir, but according to our web site and your RMA account it shows that we did send you the correct item that you originally purchased. Unfortunately for a new order we are not able to waive off the shipping fee.
Me: Is there any way for me to contact a manager?
Darlene: My manager is monitoring this conversation and she is instructing me to provide you with this information.
Darlene: She is confirming that the web site did show 65W.
Me: If you could check the call logs for when I received the RMA, you will see that the newegg rep confirmed that I did order a 35W model.
Me: Dated 11/18/2007
Me: Around 9:30 AM PST
Me: The rep assured me that I would receive a 35W model replacement and that if there was any problems I could exchange it for something else.
Darlene: I apologize, but there are no notes regarding that in your account. Every order for this item shows that it was for 65W.
Me: I see.
Me: Could you check when the product was added or when the information was updated?
Darlene: A new RMA has been submitted for a refund for this item. It is RMA XXXXXXXX.
Darlene: Our data base shows that it was always showing 64W.
Darlene: I've noticed that you have been idle for 3 minutes; would you still like to continue this chat?
Me: Yes, I am looking at the information.
Me: Unfortunately I do not have the exact webpage saved, but I have pages where people were talking about the cpu.
Me: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=528564
Me: http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=51723
Me: So how do I request someone to look into this?
Darlene: I am submitting this information to our marketing department so that they can take a look into this.
Me: Okay, how does this help me? You have just comfirmed you guys DO NOT have the CPU.
Me: I'm trying to get the shipping on my CPU upgraded because there was misinformation on the CPU I paid for and the person I talked to said that you guys don't do that .
Me: But I don't see why not because I never recieved the CPU I paid for.
Darlene: Our RMA department and my Supervisor has confirmed that the information on the product's page has not changed and we are sending you what you are ordering.
Darlene: A new RMA has been submitted for a refund for this item. It is RMA XXXXXXXX.

aaroncgi

Post by aaroncgi » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:32 pm

heero884 wrote:
At least you're happy with your purchase.. I built a AM2 system around this supposed 35W Windsor only to find out it was a 65W Windsor. I tried calling in to get a refund and they kept insisting that the product information never advertised a 35W Windsor.
Darlene: Our RMA department and my Supervisor has confirmed that the information on the product's page has not changed and we are sending you what you are ordering.
I feel for anyone going through such an ordeal. I think that unfortunately it's somewhat common to have misadvertised products online these days. Most companies don't take responsibility for their error, be it just the price, or the product is not as advertised, and instead try to deny the error ever happened. I'm a little surprised that Newegg took this path, based on their record of good customer service, but on the other hand, I can also see them doing it. It's seems very tough for a company to grow as much as they have recently, without losing quality of service. As to Darlene's comment above, I find it quite humorous. Does she honestly expect you to belive that someone in the RA department, or any kind of supervisor, has knowledge about the complete history of one specific SKU out of many thousands?

My guess is that they found out, and hurriedly changed the description, affecting everyone's account who purchased that SKU. Then they hoped that nobody printed out the original product name, description, and specifications before it was changed, or at least that the people who found out about the change, are still happy with the higher wattage CPU. I'm in the latter group, as I would have still purchased the product anyway. But for people who really wanted/needed the 35W part, this is a big black eye to Newegg, I think.

bendit

Post by bendit » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:42 pm

I am surprised the original invoice or packing list does not list the part # as the 35w model. It seems to just take the description off of the item ordered.

RedAE102
Friend of SPCR

Post by RedAE102 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:56 pm

I feel for anyone who is having problems with NewEgg on this issue, and I'd like to help.

I somehow managed to have the foresight to have printed out the item description on 11/14/07 at 2:44 PM. I don't have a scanner, but I can fax the printout to anyone who needs it.

It clearly shows Item# N82E16819103066 as model ADD3800IAA5CU, title "AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0 GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 35W Processor - OEM". I will try and dig out my packing list if I still have it as well.

You can contact me via instant messaging links below, via e-mail at at [email protected] or via PM.