SATA mobo connectors detaching (ABIT IP35)

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PretzelB

SATA mobo connectors detaching (ABIT IP35)

Post by PretzelB » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:36 pm

On a recent build I used the recommened ABIT IP35 and while installing two HDD and one DVD I've managed to detach three plastic connectors for the SATA devices on the mobo. I was willing to blame myself for the first one but I've pinched the cables to the point of breaking and I'm still unable to detach the cable from the mobo without taking the plastic connector away from the mobo. Even worse, now I'm trying to reconnect everything and the cables push on each other and bend the pins on the board because the plastic headers are no longer sticking to the board.

Is this a bad board or am I just insanely clumsy? I think it's all working but I'm afraid to sneeze on this thing. And just forget ever taking these cables off, that is never going to happen.

/Edit
I should say that I have little experience with SATA devices as I've been using some PATA hand me downs for a while. Also I ask because I'm thinking of getting another IP35 board (the Pro version) but now I'm concerned.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:15 pm

Maybe your SATA cables have the metal thingies that you have to push to be able to remove? If yes, there's nothing wrong with the mobo.

I have a IP35 Pro but the SATA connectors are all together on the side.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:56 pm

The cables do have that metal tab on them but I'm pinching that has hard as I can and it still won't budge. I even tried using needlenose pliers. What's worse is that it gets harder as you add cables since you can't pinch one cable without shoving another cable and bending the connector on the mobo.

After I couldn't get the 3rd cable off using the pliers I began to wonder if I was the only one who used the cables that come with the mobo.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:01 pm

I hate them and never use them, I just use normal SATA cables. Where are they supposed to go, slide away??? :lol:

truckman

Post by truckman » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:09 pm

I broke one of the SATA connector shells on my Abit AN-M2HD the same way, though in my case I was trying to unplug the cable in poor lighting conditions and couldn't really see if I had the latch depressed. I was able slip the connector shell back over the pins and the connector still works.

This is one of the few things I don't like about this motherboard.

It might be a good idea to defang the latch on the motherboard end of the SATA cable connectors by bending the little metal prongs flat(er?) before plugging them into the Abit motherboards with this type of connector shell. Or maybe just do some light filing to make the prongs a little easier to back out of the shell, being careful to clean up the filings so that they don't short anything out.

I've had non-latching connectors come loose from drives when futzing around inside some of my machines.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:06 am

I did a quick browse at NewEgg to see if maybe there were better cables but mostly I just found the same thing or ones at a right angle (which would be worse with the way the connectors are arranged on the mobo). You'd think the cables that came with the mobo would be the ultimate in cheap and not have the push tab to secure them. Instead they are cheap and dangerous because the push tab appears to be difficult to disengage unless you have fingers like a child.

In the end I guess I have myself to blame for not being careful enough. But it seems like the alternative is to remove the mobo if I ever want to disconnect the cables. Seems like a big waste of time.

My next question .... should I attempt to super glue the connectors back to the mobo?

Right now if I just move the cables the entire connector goes with it which I assume must be bending the pins. It all works but who knows for how long. I suppose it's fine if I don't touch it but I don't like being forced to not touch the new rig.

I'm not confident that super glue will be able to re-stabilize the connectors but I feel like I should try. I'm not sure if it will mess up the circuity though.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:06 am

Sure, glue it down, super glue is not conductive. But maybe it needs something stronger.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:56 am

JimX wrote:Sure, glue it down, super glue is not conductive. But maybe it needs something stronger.
I barely trust myself with super glue because I'm so clumsy - I'm not sure I want anything stronger. :shock:

Maybe I'll give it a try. It's such a pain tearing everything out of the case though. Thanks.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:58 am

Why would you remove the motherboard? Just lay the case on its side and be careful not to pour super glue all over! :lol:

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:19 am

JimX wrote:Why would you remove the motherboard? Just lay the case on its side and be careful not to pour super glue all over! :lol:
I don't have a picture but the layout has two rows of three connectors that are stacked vertically. Another mistake I probably made was to add connectors sequentially so I have an entire row (sata 1 - 3) filled with cables. With the connectors stacked vertically, all the space between them is so jumbled it's hard to see the plastic headers let alone where the headers hit the board. This is partly why all the connectors were roughed up by me - when I go to pinch one with my fingers I am pushing / bending at least one other one because the gap between the connectors cannot fit the cables and my fingers (and I have small hands).

It would be nice if the connectors were stacked horizontally. Or if the cables allowed you to pinch them from the sides. But pinching from top/bottom and stacking vertically makes it hard for a clutz like me.

Live and learn I guess. Hopefully I won't make this mistake on my next build (trying to wait for the next Intel cpu due 1st quarter).