Fan monitoring in Gigabyte's P35 boards

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Fan monitoring in Gigabyte's P35 boards

Post by line » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi,

From my limited experience with Gigabyte's GA-MA69G-S3H (F4a) board, I learned that the boards stops recognizing a fan if it dips below ~800rpm. As soon as that happens, the BIOS monitoring section displays 0rpm and if the "SYSTEM Fan Fail Warning" option is active, the board starts beeping. This false positive behavior forced me to deactivate the alert for the low-rpm intake fan I installed in that system, and I can't say I was happy with that. Does anyone know if Gigabyte's P35 boards also do that?

ame

Post by ame » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:31 am

Had a P35 DS3P and cpu fan control was working fine. My CPU fan was running at about 450 rpm with some kind of automatic mobo voltage control (dont remember how its called)
The fan sometimes didn't stat spinning as the voltage was probably too low but then it would kik in as temps rise...

what fan are you using? where did you buy it?

PS
The reason I keep using the past tense is that I replaced that MOBO yesteday with ASUS P5K SE.

bahatzlacha

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:32 pm

I used a 120mm Yate Loon fan that came with the Compucase 6A19 case. I don't remember the exact model name but it started with D12SL. The fan was attached to the SYS_FAN header. Whenever it ran below ~800rpm the BIOS would lose track of it. Has anyone else experienced this with a modern Gigabyte mobo?

zorrt

Post by zorrt » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:25 pm

I have the p35-ds3p and I have nexus fans runnin off it at around 700rpm. Seems to be fine.

I know with one of the older gigabyte board (cant remem which model) it has problems with the cpu fan header where it doesnt start up the fan sometimes or runs it at too low speed that the motherboard starts complainin.

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:29 pm

Ok, thanks for the input. Hopefully that was a local issue.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:22 pm

I have a P35 Neo2-FR and I used it to adjust a Slipstream 800rpm down to 500rpms and it displayed everything properly. However, the SmartDoctor software that comes with most of these boards is crap and out the box will beep like crazy if any of your fans run below 1000rpm. You have to create user profiles to lower the alarm speeds.

MSI boards are very good boards, and I know the one I have in particular was rated an Editors Choice by Anandtech. It's completely passive using heatpipes, and has plenty of options for just about anyone.

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:53 pm

One good thing about MSI's BIOS is that it lets you specify target tempereature for the CPU and starting speed for the CPU fan. These two settings are not user accessible in Gigabyte's BIOS but people seem to be happy with the factory settings.