Asus PR on "Energy Processing Unit"-equipped board

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Asus PR on "Energy Processing Unit"-equipped board

Post by line » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:12 pm

http://www.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=9696 (Jan 29)
The ASUS-developed EPU is the world´s first hardware-based on-demand power saving IC controller.
Does that mean EPU does not require software to run? That would give it an edge over Gigabyte's DES, because from what I have been able to tell DES won't work without the Gigabyte software. (Hope someone proves me wrong on this!)
As the EPU is such an important part in environment conservation, the following P35 chipset motherboards: P5K PRO, P5K/ EPU and P5K SE/EPU will be re-launched with the EPU.
Would be nice if they relaunched P5K-E as well.
The new RAMPAGE FORMULA and P5E3 PREMIUM/ WiFi@n motherboards will also sport the EPU; while X38 chipsets motherboards with EPU include the MAXIMUS FORMULA, P5E3 DELUXE/ WiFi@n, P5E3 DELUXE, P5E3, P5E, P5E64 WS PRO, P5E3 DELUXE/DDR3 1333 2G, MAXIMUS Extreme and the P5E3/DDR3 1333 2G. Other motherboards that carry the EPU are the Striker II Extreme, Striker II Formula, P5N-T DELUXE and the P5N-D.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:27 am

I was intrigued by your question, and for the first time I tried a M/B manufacturer's program. I have a P5E for two weeks in my HTPC, given to me as an RMA exchange from an old Albatron board that died (lucky me for a GREAT retailer). The rest is an E6400, 4GB of RAM, XP.

Results:

The EPU works with AI Gear only. You have to put everything in Auto in BIOS. It does some useful stuff, like underclocking and such, but as soon as I tried the Turbo (I think it's called) mode I had BSODs... I hadn't seen one in years in my PCs.

My innacurate but indicative APC Powerchute software shows no power consumption differences from my undervolted and slightly overclocked to 2.4GHz settings.

So, I uninstalled everything again. :)

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:29 pm

I see.

wdekler

Post by wdekler » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:05 am

I just tried out the AI NAP mode on my P5K SE/EPU board and was blown away by a powersaving of 2 watt. :x

I guess that there's not much to gain for people who are already running a fairly energy efficient setup (E4300, rmclock switches CPU to 1.2ghz when idle, 7600GT, 80+ PSU).