ABIT IP35 Pro, uGuru, Vista 64

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PretzelB

ABIT IP35 Pro, uGuru, Vista 64

Post by PretzelB » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:39 am

Anyone have the ABIT IP35 Pro and Vista 64? If so, can you run uGuru? When I do the application fails with an error WBEM_E_INVALID_CLASS that pops up in a dialog box several times then closes the application. I tried posting at the ABIT forums but didn't get a response. I just worry I have a hardware issue and don't want to assume the software doesn't work.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:43 am

I have this combination, dual booting with XP32. When I get home tonight I'll check for you, I never ran uGuru on Vista, only on XP.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:22 am

That would be great. Thanks.

I should have added to my first post that I'd like to hear what other tools people use with this combo. I think I tried Speedfan and it didn't work but I have to go verify that. Seems like it worked but the numbers were way off and didn't make sense.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:29 am

OK, I just installed uGuru and it works properly. CPU temp is not correct, but it shows the same on XP.

I use Speedfan, but you have to add +13c to Temp1 (board), +25c to Temp2 (CPU area) in Configure -> Advanced -> Winbond. Core temps need +15c in Configure -> Advanced -> Intel Core. I found these temps by comparing CoreTemp, Speedfan on XP, uGuru, and common sense!

I hope I helped.

Edit: Core temp adjustments are for my E6750 GO (100c Tj.Max), older CPUs with 85c Tj.Max do not need adjustment, newer ones (E8200-E8500) will probably report wrong anyway.
Last edited by JimX on Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:50 am

Thank you very much. But now I have no clue what to do. Something is wrong on my end but I have no idea what.

I'll see if I get Speedfan installed again and use your instructions to alter the settings. If that works I should be ok but I'd still like to know what the problem is with uGuru. I'm having other issues that I thought were Vista 64 but now I suspect hardware.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:59 am

Check my edit about core temps, I wrote it as you were posting. :D

What other issues?

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:13 pm

The major issue is the dreaded nvlddmkm issue which causes games to crash. At first I thought it was a driver issue but it appears to come and go without any updates or changes. Along the way I noticed that if I try to run nTune it will blue screen. So both uGuru and nTune were failing to work and SpeedFan was giving me crazy numbers. I was going to chalk this up to either Vista 64 or Nvidia, or both but now I suppose it could be something about the new hardware.

toki_c
Patron of SPCR

Post by toki_c » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:11 pm

You must have an issue somewhere... but nTune and µGuru work just fine on my vista x64.
Well, lately µGuru crashes whenever I try to tune my settings. And vista freezes at the same time. But it's just hstarted recently and I can't figure out what the source of this issue. I have a back up and I'm pretty lazy to reinstall vista x64 again.
But both work fine... withouth considering those µGuru recent crashes.

The thing is, you can't set your fan voltage down to 5V in the bios. But µGuru can only set down to 6V. If you want 5V you should do it manualy. And you can't undervolt a cpu too. I writed to Abit a while ago but they didnt even reply!

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:01 pm

Well SpeedFan doesn't crash but it shows

System 38c
CPU -1c
AUX 22c

Obviously it needs adjusting but I'm not familiar enough with it to figure it out. I do need something to make sure my temps and voltage are ok. Or I need to figure out why uGuru won't work for me.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:50 am

PretzelB, what about core temps? Not reported?

Is this Speedfan 4.33?

Do you have BIOS version 14?

Which processor do you have?

Too many questions! :lol:

Edit: I found a program for you to get proper readings. PC Wizard 2008 reads everything properly, except CPU (area), that reads low. With this you can adjust Speedfan. I didn't try HW Monitor from them, but I believe it will also work properly.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:28 am

Well this is ... something.

Back to SpeedFan, it is 4.33 and the readings are the only default settings that appear (system, cpu, aux).

PC Wizard is showing me something very scary, or maybe I'm not following.

Processor Temp = 195c
Processor Temp (core1) = 41c
Processor Temp (core2) = 41c
Mainboard Temp = 28c
Power/Aux Temp = 29c
GPU Temp = 51c
GPU Ambient = 39c

What is that first value? The core temps seem right but the other is scary.

I also just noticed that in my bios (yes version 14) it is now saying CPU temp is "N/A". I know that it was working when I first built the machine.

BTW, no overclocking for me. I even have the stock cooler installed right now. I think I might want to rip it all out and reseat that cooler but I wonder if my mb is bad since I had issues from day 1 with uGuru.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:19 am

I installed Folding@Home and it's bringing the CPU to 50% but my temps stay the same. I'm not sure if this is a CPU issue or a mb issue. Before I leave for work I copied and pasted the PC Wizard 2008 info below (neat utility). It's all new equipment so I should be able to get some replacements but not sure what part and how to prove a problem.

Oh, one more thing. I suspect the cpu and mb but with Folding running it appears stable. I did try to run a dx10 demo called Cascades and it caused my rig to freeze. The GPU did go to 73c before the freeze but it was slowly and I think 90c is the danger zone. So cpu work doesn't cause an issue but gpu work does. I suppose I could try throwing in my old 7950 instead of the 8800gt but not sure if that will help.

Hardware Monitoring : Abit µGuru 2005
Voltage CPU : 1.13 V
+3.3V Voltage : 3.26 V
+5V Voltage : 5.04 V
+12V Voltage : 11.94 V
DIMM : 1.80 V
SB : 1.05 V
CPU VTT : 1.09 V
SB : 1.24 V
MCH : 3.02 V
Processor Fan : 2040 rpm
Chassis Fan : 0 rpm
Power/Aux Fan : 720 rpm
Processor Temperature : 195 °C
Processor Temperature (Core 1) : 41 °C
Processor Temperature (Core 2) : 41 °C
Mainboard Temperature : 29 °C
Power/Aux Temperature : 30 °C
:
Video Monitoring : nVidia Driver
GPU Temperature : 52 °C
GPU Ambient : 40 °C
GPU Fan : 100%
:
Hard Disk Monitoring : S.M.A.R.T
Hard Disk Temperature ST3250410AS : 32 °C

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:16 am

OK, you didn't write which processor you have, but we now know that you have an E8400!

They report wrong idle temps on most boards. Search E8400 temps on Google! Idle is always 41c.

M/B temp is definitely OK, CPU temp is 99% OK.

What RAM do you have? Maybe it needs a little bump for everything to run.

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:43 am

I feel like such a fool right now. I cruised the Abit forums and found someone else who posted on bad temp readings and someone pointed out that the officially the E8400 isn't even on the supported list for the IP35 Pro. I tortured myself over this last purchase and now it's such a kick to the groin to realize such a huge blunder. I see that some Gigabyte boards list compatibility with the new E8400 but Gigabyte has so many models it often leaves me confused. Plus I'm not so sure they are rock solid and I'd hate to jump from one problem to another.

Here's a current part list:

Vista 64
Antec P182
ABIT IP35 PRO LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX
EVGA 512 GeForce 8800 GT
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0 LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
Corsair XMS2 4GB(2x2GB) 240 Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR800 (PC2 6400)
Seasonic S12-500 ATX12V 500W PSU
2 Seagate 250gb hard drives (no raid)
1 DVD drive
SB X Fi Platinum

I don't know what the memory is set at in the bios because I just let it default. I'll have to check that when I get home.

What confuses me is how I was able to get by with no issues for an entire weekend just a week or so ago. Now I can't run the Cascades demo or a game without the driver quitting or the entire system locking up. I guess I have to assume the cpu is cool enough at this point because I'm not going to get a reading. I hate not being able to know though. I still have my 7950 so I can try that to see if it fixes the graphics issues, but I'm not sure if I could rule out a psu issue if it works.

I'm going to go kick myself more.

My memory is CORSAIR XMS2 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400). I did run memtest for a few hours yesterday with no issues.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:29 am

95% RAM voltage, 5% something else.

XMS2 4GB kit need at least 1.9 volts (from Corsair). I would give it 2.0 volts.

Everything else looks great. Why get upset for a known extremely efficient and cool CPU?

PretzelB

Post by PretzelB » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:40 am

Oh, I'm just mad because I didn't verify the IP35 Pro was certified with the E8400. I know at least Gigabyte says it has boards that will run Wolfdale and I assume others must also. I would normally never go with a combo that wasn't at least promised to work together but I didn't cross my T's or dot my I's to verify the combo of the IP35 and the E8400. So in the end a lot of this is my fault for not being thorough enough. I think the problems with my temp readings are definitely from the mb choice.

When I get home I'll look at the memory settings. To be honest I tried to leave that alone so I didn't mess it up but maybe it's messed up out of the box.

Looking back, the one change I did make was adding the second hard drive and hooking up the XFi (and shutting down the onboard sound). I thought that might mean it's a PSU issue but I did unhook the hard drive and front extender this morning and still had issues. I didn't rip out the sound card yet but that's also an idea. Plus I can't rule out the video card yet until I try the older 7950.

Thanks for the support - although it's starting to feel like I need psychological more than technical help!! :shock:

tfinger

PretzelB, still out there 3 months in?

Post by tfinger » Sat May 24, 2008 4:50 pm

I just built with the same hw as you and fought the same fan full-speed problem on the 8800GT. I fought BSOD's on ntune and instant crashes on uguru. Bios 16 is out now and gave me reasonable temp readings on my ip35 pro. rivatuner managed to bring the fan under control. This rig is fairly quiet except for a whir of air sound and without shrill hdd or fan sounds.

I wondered if you had an alternate solution and hoped you didn't have to buy more hw.

Antec Solo, Abit IP35 Pro, Wolfdale E3110, Zalman 9700, Gskill 8GB, Enermax Liberty 500W, EVGA 8800GT 512, Samsung 750GB, Asus DVD, Vista 64 HP