Intel D201GLY2 -- exploding bad capacitor

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

philips_104b

Intel D201GLY2 -- exploding bad capacitor

Post by philips_104b » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:21 pm

Hello all,

am trying to figure out if its the power supply or just the board that has a flaky capacitor.

I bought this board 26-Feb and assembled it when i got home from the shop in sham shui po, hong kong. I didnt power it up immediately becoz was pretty tired.. on 28-Feb (when i had the chance). i plugged it into my LCDTV and powered it up.. sure enough it booted up.. but after 5 mins... i heard a loud pop which startled me. then i noticed there was no more video output.

i reset every connector and restarted.. nothing happened. however i noticed a faint whistling sound... i listened intently and i heard it coming from a capacitor.. upon closer visual inspection.. lo and behold.. the capacitor had already vented and become bloated.. i read thru wikipedia about possible capacitor plague.

search wikipedia for "capacitor plague".. i cant post urls yet. 1st post.

the cap in question is the small one nearest to the pci slot.. neares the edge where the ide and sata ports are.

so my question to our brethren...
could it be my casing power supply or just a bad board?

intel d201gly2
kingston 1Gb DDR2 667Mhz RAM
GTR F202 casing

philips_104b

Post by philips_104b » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:23 pm

psiu

Post by psiu » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:00 pm

Well, if the blown cap is on the mobo, bad board.
If it happens with a second one with that power supply, get them both replaced.
Always eyeball a new component to make sure everything looks good to start.
And confirm the PSU is set to correct voltage for your AC (if that's an option, most are auto now).

Good luck :)

Hifriday
Patron of SPCR

Post by Hifriday » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:54 am

I'm running in the exact same case, so the supplied DC-DC power supply should work fine with this board (assuming it's not defective). However you do need to add a fan to this case, or the mb/cpu will run too hot.
I don't think 5 minutes is enough to fry it though, but being a budget board it is very possible it has some low quality components.