Gigabyte 780G GA-MA78GM-S2H

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:28 am

NX3, clever, another good option 8)

That temperature reading, on the other hand, dont sound particularly convincing...

It seems nobody tried a top down cooler?

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Thomas wrote:Aleksi, thanks for sharing the pics, gives me a good idea of the "space management" around NB with a Ninja.

I guess your NB temps aint with overclocking?
No overclocking involved. I'm in the middle of moving to a new apartment so I can't check this right now, but I have this odd memory that the NB temps would be lower than 80C with Cool N Quiet enabled and the system idleing. Will check at some point.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:01 pm

Aleksi, ok, thanks.

I got a new idea, I simply start out with the stock CPU cooler for the 4850e, to get a feel of NB temps with my kind of use. Probably too noisy, but this way I'll get more knowledge, before doing any mods. I can always buy a Ninja, Asus Triton 75 and/or a 3-party NB cooler later on...

Still, it wouldnt hurt, to hear your experiences 8) It would also be nice, to hear experiences from people who uses a top down cooler :D

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:23 am

BillyBuerger wrote:I just recently picked up this motherboard and bought a Zalman ZM-NB47J with it right off the bat for the chipset. I don't plan on using the PCIe 1x slot and if I do at a later time, I'll just chop down some of the fins. It just barely fit though. The J-shaped mounting pieces with the Zalman have to be installed with the end with the bend on the HS side or they'll hit the nearby capacitors. And I had to have them screwed in right at the edges of the grove they fit in to reach the mounting holes. It will get pretty warm occasionally but I'm sure it's much better than the tiny HS that came with it. No overheating issues yet.
Can you please provide your current NB temp? And which case, CPU, CPU cooler and fans.

Thanks.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:25 am

SKeptical Thinker wrote:
Esben wrote:How did replacing the northbridge heatsink work for you?
Pretty well. I put the Thermalright HR-05 IFX with the smart fan on a couple of weeks ago. I was able to overclock the GPU all the way to 980MHz after upgrading to the F4 BIOS (950MHz on F3) with the NB voltage at the max. I was running the folding@home GPU2 client on it 24/7 and it was running in the low 90s. I was getting over 400PPD on the GPU2 client.
If you remember the NB temps at stock speeds, I'd appreciate it 8)

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:21 am

NB sounds bit too warm for me. I got Enzotech full copper NB heatsink on my shelf. I knew it was going to be useful someday... Now I do hope I can get full sized Ninja fit with Enzotecn CNB-R1 I think trying to fit Ninja with TR HR-05 IFX would be pushing...

Once I get my board I will try with stock heatsink and see how temps are. Maybe I don't need to change heatsink...