Gigabyte 780G GA-MA78GM-S2H

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xen
Friend of SPCR

Post by xen » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:34 am

Power meters have a limit beneath which they cannot measure. For mine it is below 1.5W I think. Anything below 1.5W will read out as 0W.

In order to get a reading, you will need to pair that PSU with another device whose consumption is constant and known. Then you will be able to know the difference attributable to your PSU.

Nighthog

Post by Nighthog » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:05 am

What do you guys think of pairing this motherboard whit a Phenom X4 9850 (2.5Ghz) 125W processor and 2x2Gb Corsair 1066Mhz memory?

I have these parts ordered and will probably get them next week.

They will be put in a Lian Li PC-A01B desktop chassi.

Small, tight & power hungry. I wonder what kind of temperatures I will get?
:wink:

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:27 am

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Moth ... uctID=2758

If I were you, I would hold my purchase or get Phenom 9600 instead judging by Gigabyte's CPU list; however, future bios update may add 9850 to the list. Only time will tell, but I won't buy something else at the risk of incompatibly when there are other choices.

Nighthog

Post by Nighthog » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:15 am

loimlo wrote:http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Moth ... uctID=2758

If I were you, I would hold my purchase or get Phenom 9600 instead judging by Gigabyte's CPU list; however, future bios update may add 9850 to the list. Only time will tell, but I won't buy something else at the risk of incompatibly when there are other choices.
k.. they haven't just updated the list whit the new TLB-bug free Phenoms. (B3 revisions) Why should I get the older no longer produced 9600(or soon not produced) as 9650 has replaced it? as other 9x50 Phenoms
and downgrading to 2.3Ghz from 2.5Ghz and sticking whit the TLB-bugg? I didn't buy a new computer sooner becouse of the TLB-bugg in the first phenoms

If it doesn't support it right off it will support it any moment soon. I can wait a little.

Which motherboard in m-ATX do you sugest instead for this Gigabyte one that I have choosen? As I choose CPU first motherboard second. I can probably presume not many motherboards yet list the new 9X50 phenoms as compatable yet.
(they just arrived to the shops a few days ago and many places won't get them for a few days more)

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:01 am

Nighthog wrote: k.. they haven't just updated the list whit the new TLB-bug free Phenoms. (B3 revisions) Why should I get the older no longer produced 9600(or soon not produced) as 9650 has replaced it? as other 9x50 Phenoms
and downgrading to 2.3Ghz from 2.5Ghz and sticking whit the TLB-bugg? I didn't buy a new computer sooner becouse of the TLB-bugg in the first phenoms

If it doesn't support it right off it will support it any moment soon. I can wait a little.

Which motherboard in m-ATX do you sugest instead for this Gigabyte one that I have choosen? As I choose CPU first motherboard second. I can probably presume not many motherboards yet list the new 9X50 phenoms as compatable yet.
(they just arrived to the shops a few days ago and many places won't get them for a few days more)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... 03&page=46

If I were you I would wait a moment till Gigabyte releases a new official firmware for newer 9X50 series. It looks like they will address Phenom seriously in the upcoming bios and take care of bug fixes. As for 780G boards, it's little of choices right now when only ASUS & Gigabyte on the shelves for customers to buy.

Nighthog

Post by Nighthog » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:46 am

loimlo wrote:
Nighthog wrote: k.. they haven't just updated the list whit the new TLB-bug free Phenoms. (B3 revisions) Why should I get the older no longer produced 9600(or soon not produced) as 9650 has replaced it? as other 9x50 Phenoms

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... 03&page=46

If I were you I would wait a moment till Gigabyte releases a new official firmware for newer 9X50 series. It looks like they will address Phenom seriously in the upcoming bios and take care of bug fixes. As for 780G boards, it's little of choices right now when only ASUS & Gigabyte on the shelves for customers to buy.
Gotta thank you for giving me that link!! I decided to read through alot of stuff and there pops out a anandtech link and a rant and some stuff blowing upp... seems any 780G motherboard won't work whit 9850... they will kill the motherboards! They are not designed for powerdraws of 125W as the 9850 requires... which results in the motherboards to be overloaded and blow up! the X2 6400 is also to powerhungry and will kill them aswell!

Here is the link
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3279&p=2

I had to draw back all my orders... Have to replan everything. Seems I can't choose a m-ATX motherboard if I want to have a Phenom X4 9850... So threw off all my plans I had made this last month and more. Have to start from scratch ;_;

DAMN CHEAP ASS MOTHERBOARD MAKERS!!! if they could have just designed them whit 5-phase PWM or better. 3 is highly to low and 4-phase is at it's limits and won't last long.

Seems 9850 has only been cleared whit 2 motherboards as off yet...
MSI K9A2 Platinum (MS-7376) or Asus M3A32-MVP deluxe

damn... So much time gone to waste. ;_;

NX3

Post by NX3 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:50 pm

Its been a long time coming but from my previous postings I finally have a hybrid crossfire score !

690v mobo, ATI HD 2400, Cats 8.2, XP : 1373
780G mobo, IGP, Cats 8.3, XP : 1132
780G mobo, IGP + ATI HD 2400, Cats 8.3 Hybrid crossfire enabled, Vista : 2000'ish
780G mobo, ATI HD 3450, Cats 8.3, Vista : 1692

The new score..........

780G mobo, IGP + ATI HD 3450, Cats 8.3 hotfix Hybrid crossfire enabled, Vista : 1975

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:09 am

I am glad that I could help you to clarify the mainboard mystery. By the way, Jetway seems to release a 5-phase 780G board from Andadtech article. It would be enough to drive a 125W TDP processor.

Nighthog

Post by Nighthog » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:58 am

loimlo wrote:I am glad that I could help you to clarify the mainboard mystery. By the way, Jetway seems to release a 5-phase 780G board from Andadtech article. It would be enough to drive a 125W TDP processor.
But wasn't it a standard ATX board?

And by the way I can't buy Jetway Motherboards anywhere in sweden
Asus, Abit, MSI, Gigabyte, Intel and a few DFI seems to be all there is offered here.

I would have loved to have built a system whit this board but now I can't build the one I wanted. And I can't build it to a media comp only as I need a update on my reglar comp first(wanted to build a all-round computer, for media, games and work in a compact style)

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:24 am

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?optio ... 1&Itemid=1

DFI will release an MicroATX AMD 780G board from this interesting reading. As usual, DFI Lanparty boards catered to high-end market and also priced at high price; thus I believe you should have no problems running Phenom 9850 on DFI boards. Sorry, no definitive proof yet. :?

Nighthog

Post by Nighthog » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:14 am

loimlo wrote:http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?optio ... 1&Itemid=1

DFI will release an MicroATX AMD 780G board from this interesting reading. As usual, DFI Lanparty boards catered to high-end market and also priced at high price; thus I believe you should have no problems running Phenom 9850 on DFI boards. Sorry, no definitive proof yet. :?
Interesting, maybe will be able to build my system afterall, just have to wait a bit more and see how these DFI boards will look and what they will manage. But from what is told I can start to smile again a bit and get my hopes up a bit more again.

line
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by line » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:21 am

New northbridge cooler?

Source: http://www.cpu3d.com/index.php?option=c ... 54&limit=1

Power consumption vs. Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI

Source: http://www.hothardware.com/Articles/ASU ... d_/?page=1

Nighthog

Post by Nighthog » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:31 am

Is it just me or is the NB heatsink upside down? Or what are they thinking if that's the correct orientation?

making the PCI-E x1 port usless?

loimlo

Post by loimlo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:04 am

Dear Nighthog

I've found an interesting article containing important info for you. I think it would be helpful to you. MSI is also a choice that you might take it into consideration.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?optio ... 4&Itemid=1

NX3

Post by NX3 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:41 am

The northbrigde heatsink is discussed on avsforums, 50+ pages about the gigabyte 780g motherboard so far. Anyway summary is the one in the photo posted by 'line' was on the very early versions sent out and isn't the one shipping. Mine is totally flat and thus the PCI-E x1 slot is useable. It seems they had the shaped cooler on early demo versions only, the shipping version is flat.

Nighthog

Post by Nighthog » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:53 am

loimlo wrote:Dear Nighthog

I've found an interesting article containing important info for you. I think it would be helpful to you. MSI is also a choice that you might take it into consideration.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?optio ... 4&Itemid=1
Yeah I've read about that, but the supposed motherboard mentioned is cheaper and looks cheap, and has towers of condensators that look really cheap. SO I wonder if they are strecthing off what the board is cabable off from MSI support.(none solid cap ones as Gigabyte or ASUS)

MSI K9A2GM-FIH

Then I haven't found any review of the board yet either. As a bonus it doesn't have a dvi port which I would have needed, only a hdmi.(well dvi-d is as optional so maybe it's there anyway)
Also it hasn't shown up to the shelves in stores yet, they list it but none has it in stock.

And the little sister for this board the K9A2GM doesn't support 125W cpu's
and the FIH version doesn't have a cpu-support list. And looking at the two boards they don't seem all that diffrent. And I can't find the FIH version mention to support 125W elsewhere but at Fudzilla.

NX3

Post by NX3 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:03 am

Cat 8.4 seem to fix the previous problem of "As mentioned Vista on power saving mode keeps setting the minimum cpu idle to 100%."

It stays at 5% and in CPU-Z I can see the cpu speed throttling down when idle. Also my power reading in watts drops :)

Nighthog

Post by Nighthog » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:11 am

Well whatever I decided before I went whit this motherboard after all. I choose the Phenom 9750 instead. This Cpu is supported on this board! It's basically only the 9850 that isn't supported.

If you check the updated cpu-support list you can find that 9750 is supported. Well 100Mhz lower cpu speed but I will alteast can get my computer now, have actually all parts on their way now.

Phenom 9750
Corsair 2x2Gb 800Mhz (4.4.4.12)
And the Gigabyte board

Nighthog

Post by Nighthog » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:33 am

sorry for the double post.

I feel like there might be a slight problem whit this Gigabyte 780G motherboard.

First. You can't undervolt anything... you can only overvolt... which it does anyway ewen if you didn't want it to... :roll:

Second... Some part on this will reach whoping 124C!! under heavy load.

In AMD OverDrive there are a few temp sensor readings named badly like TMPIN1, TMPIN2, TMPIN3. TMPIN3 will reach 124C for me under the Stability test in AMD OverDrive... it froze my comp after a while also... (And add bad whining sounds from the computer :? )
Haven't gotten this temp down in any way yet. it's at 90-95C under idle computer usage. This is in contrast to system temperature off 31C and CPU temp off 40C in idle... ( cpu hasn't reached 60C in load yet, as best 59C but then I had bad ventilation and I've improved that now)

The passive heatsinks on the 780G chipset gets burning hot... Which I think 124C or 90C should be fairly good guess at. :x

the heatsink on the SB700 southbridge gets fairly hot aswell, probably gonna burn myself on it aswell if I keep my fingers on it a bit longer.

I don't at the moment really know what normal/stock vcore voltage is for Phenom 9750, but in bios it says normal vcore is 1.250volts... but I get as minimum in windows 1.328volts... and that goes upp to 1.408volts under 100% cpu usage automatically!
I've set all voltage regulators to manual and normal so it should not increase the voltages... but it does anyway..
And then as said in the begining... you can't lower the voltages but just add extra voltage whit like +0.1, +0.2, +0.3 etc...
The lowest you can choose is the "Normal" voltage which in turn doesn't garantie you that it's actually the normal stock, but just what the board thinks stock/normal should be.

I need a fix for that HOT part soon. Anyone know any cooler that would fitt on the 780G place whit that hole-to-hole witdh?(about 75mm I measured across)

Adding extra air-intake fans did nothing for temps but to lower the system temp from 41C -> 31C but all other temps stay the same and computer only got 10X louder... (added 1x 120mm & 1x 80mm fan in front at max speed)

SKeptical Thinker

Post by SKeptical Thinker » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:19 am

I think you are looking at the DDR voltage control. I'm undervolting a BE-2350 in that MB @2.1GHz at 0.975V in the BIOS. Speedfan shows the voltage varying from 1.01 to 1.02 under load.

The BIOS allows control of the CPU, DDR, and NB voltages separately. The CPU voltage range is silly. It goes from just under 2V to way under 1V. The DDR voltage starts at 1.8, I don't know that there is any reason to go lower. I haven't looked at the NB voltage control, yet, so I don't know what it can do.

My temp3 is 77-78 at idle. I have driven it as high as 106 before instability. I think that temp3 is really the GPU internal temperature, since I could move it directly by overclocking the GPU, independent of load. You might want to check that your NB heat sink is correctly mounted. Mine rocks back and forth if I push on either end.

I'm going to replace my NB heat sink with a Thermalright HR-05 IFX since I'd like to try to lower the temp on it and would like to have reliable contact between the heat sink and the NB. I'm waiting on delivery of some 80mm Thermaltake Smart Fans. One will be on the HR-05, the other on the CPU HS. The CPU Smart Fan Control is set to turn the HS fan off if the CPU is below 40C, so it doesn't run most of the time. I'm going to run the NB HS fan off the same header for the same reason.

I have the board in an Antec NSK-2840 chassis with the stock 380W power supply. I replaced the two 120MM Antec tri-cool fans with Thermaltake smart fans. I'm using the thermal controls on the 120mm fans so they both spin under 700RPM at idle. They only speed up if the google image screensaver is running.

I'm not using the stock CPU HSF. I put a Ninja Mini on and am running it essentially passively. Running two instances of Prime-95 with both cores at 100% barely gets the CPU up to 40C at 26C ambient. The NB runs ~82C. At idle the CPU runs 2-5C above ambient.

Kill-O-Watt shows my system consumes 47W at idle and 59W during the stress tests. The undervolting takes 4W off the idle wattage and 12W off the stress test.

System inventory:

Antec NSK-2480 with two Thermaltake 120mm Smart Fans
ga-ma78gm-s2h
BE-2350 with 10x multiplier, .975V in BIOS, clock at 210
Ninja Mini CPU HS
GeIL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Seagate 500GB SATA hard drive
ASUS 18X DVD±R DVD Burner PATA Model DRW-1814BL

I'm running Windows XP Pro.

If you play around with the CPU fan control in EasyTune5-Pro, don't set the low percent below 10. 10 is low enough to turn the fan off at or below the low set point. Less than 2% will lock up the system. You can set the high within a degree of the low. Setting it the same or lower will lock up the system. The only way to get the system back in either case is to un-install ET5. It takes forever to install, so save yourself some time and don't try to prove me wrong :D.

Esben

Post by Esben » Thu May 29, 2008 11:47 am

How did replacing the northbridge heatsink work for you? I've built a computer for my parents based on the same motherboard and a 4400+. As a whole, the machine runs very well, but I'm experiencing high temperatures on TMPIN3 as well (82 C). I think the northbridge might be overheating, when I leave the computer running rthdribl, that gives maximum GPU load. Suddenly the computer turns off, with no indication of why. Maybe this is because of thermal protection?

My sister has also told me that I turned off in the middle of her editing a photo, so it sounds like even the Vista Aero desktop causes it to overheat.

I wouldn't mind changing the northbridge heatsink, but which good model fits? I'd like to be able to run it completely passive, with the CPU fan turned off. I think Gigabyte should have considered the thermal load when they chose the northbridge heatsink.

BillyBuerger
Patron of SPCR

Post by BillyBuerger » Thu May 29, 2008 4:30 pm

Esben wrote:I wouldn't mind changing the northbridge heatsink, but which good model fits? I'd like to be able to run it completely passive, with the CPU fan turned off. I think Gigabyte should have considered the thermal load when they chose the northbridge heatsink.
I just recently picked up this motherboard and bought a Zalman ZM-NB47J with it right off the bat for the chipset. I don't plan on using the PCIe 1x slot and if I do at a later time, I'll just chop down some of the fins. It just barely fit though. The J-shaped mounting pieces with the Zalman have to be installed with the end with the bend on the HS side or they'll hit the nearby capacitors. And I had to have them screwed in right at the edges of the grove they fit in to reach the mounting holes. It will get pretty warm occasionally but I'm sure it's much better than the tiny HS that came with it. No overheating issues yet.

SKeptical Thinker

Post by SKeptical Thinker » Sat May 31, 2008 2:36 pm

Esben wrote:How did replacing the northbridge heatsink work for you?
Pretty well. I put the Thermalright HR-05 IFX with the smart fan on a couple of weeks ago. I was able to overclock the GPU all the way to 980MHz after upgrading to the F4 BIOS (950MHz on F3) with the NB voltage at the max. I was running the folding@home GPU2 client on it 24/7 and it was running in the low 90s. I was getting over 400PPD on the GPU2 client.

I've since switched over to the SMP Beta 5.92 client and am getting ~1000PPD after overclocking the CPU from 2.1 to 2.9GHz. The fans are running now, but the system is still a lot quieter than the one it replaced.

I should back down the overclock to see how quiet it can get.

Yup, that sure did make a difference. I may trade some science for some quiet.

Thomas

Which CPU cooler?

Post by Thomas » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:41 am

I plan on buying this mobo and a 4850e.

I was aiming for the Ninja, but reading about this relatively hot NB, would it be better with a top-down cooler?

Will a Ninja leave enough room for a third-party NB cooler, if heat should be a problem?

Nighthog

Post by Nighthog » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:00 am

No whit a Phenom you can't undervolt in bios whit this board only overvolt or stick whit standard "normal" orginal stock voltage.

I've experienced some overheating problems over here when playing games that utilize graphics somewhat.

I had a X850XT whit Ice-Q cooling whit a ghetto 120mm modification. well my case is cramped to the max so the fan only had 4-5mm of space for air to get into it and tiny space for graphics... gpu temp got like 75C or such under lesser load whit playing GridWars. ilde was 54C or something like that. Well case ambient temp was 50C... Well ofcourse it was overheated. the card starts to crap out whit temps at 70C already. Well nothing major but the game exiting abruptly and temp shows 75C on X850XT card I knew it was a overheated and the symptom for overheating in GridWars was that sound would starts to mess up and then later game would just shutdown whit no warning or message. Well I removed that graphics card as I no longer needed as I got back my 24" monitor from repairs and don't need the tv-out for my crap 21" tv anymore from the X850XT.
Well I go and play GridWars again but I get the same symptom of overheating and game quits after an hour or so off playing. Whit the X850XT I could only play like 20min before the heat was to much. So my NB is overheated I can tell certainly... Well whit the removal off the X850XT i got a ambient temp off 40C under idle and lower general overall temps so it managed longer but it still gets overheated when in use longer times and can't handle it all to long it seems. the NB idle temp was 93C whit the X850XT installed but it's now 84C when removed. So it can still reach those 124-127C I've have gotten when fully loaded. Even if they are incorrect readings and temp may be a in reality at 90C or something alot lower it still is overheated...

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:28 am

Gigabyte seems good choice for my next build. However I have read a lot colmplains that gigabytes NB runs hot. That is not big deal for me, since I got Enzotech purecopper round NB sink just incase on shelf if I need to change NB. However I'd be intrest to hear users experience of GA-MA78GM S2H's NB temperatures

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:29 am

Moro,

roughly 80C at idle and over 90C when stress testing. It was above 100C while stress testing, but I added an airguide which helped. This is the HTPC build linked in my sig.

Good board, works well in Linux (Debian, kernel 2.6.18 and 2.6.25). However I recommend updating to the newest F4 BIOS.

-Aleksi

Esben

Post by Esben » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:43 am

BillyBuerger wrote:I just recently picked up this motherboard and bought a Zalman ZM-NB47J with it right off the bat for the chipset. I don't plan on using the PCIe 1x slot and if I do at a later time, I'll just chop down some of the fins. It just barely fit though. The J-shaped mounting pieces with the Zalman have to be installed with the end with the bend on the HS side or they'll hit the nearby capacitors. And I had to have them screwed in right at the edges of the grove they fit in to reach the mounting holes. It will get pretty warm occasionally but I'm sure it's much better than the tiny HS that came with it. No overheating issues yet.
Thanks for the info Billy! I'm also considering the Zalman cooler as a replacement. I've used it in the past with no problems (on Abit NF7-S nForce2 board and MSI K8N Neo2 nForce3 250 Gb.
I think they have somewhat similar TDP.
SKeptical Thinker wrote:Pretty well. I put the Thermalright HR-05 IFX with the smart fan on a couple of weeks ago. I was able to overclock the GPU all the way to 980MHz after upgrading to the F4 BIOS (950MHz on F3) with the NB voltage at the max. I was running the folding@home GPU2 client on it 24/7 and it was running in the low 90s. I was getting over 400PPD on the GPU2 client.

Yup, that sure did make a difference. I may trade some science for some quiet.
Thanks for the report. It sure sound like the ThermalRight cooler seals the deal and makes it completely stable (and overclockable). But it surely comes at a steep price! The Thermalright cooler costs about the same as an external HD3450 graphics card, while the Zalman cooler costs 1/5.

I doubt this system will be used in an overclocked state, but I'd like complete system stability, even when airflow is very low.
Can't quite make up my mind whether I should go for the Zalman or the Thermalright...

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:07 am

Aleksi wrote:roughly 80C at idle and over 90C when stress testing. It was above 100C while stress testing, but I added an airguide which helped. This is the HTPC build linked in my sig.
Aleksi, thanks for sharing the pics, gives me a good idea of the "space management" around NB with a Ninja.

I guess your NB temps aint with overclocking?

NX3

Post by NX3 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:22 am

My NB is 79/80c according to hardware monitor. I think its the temp of the core as the top of the north bridge used to be very hot to the touch. I bought a Zalman BR123 mount and 80mm fan for a few quid. The northbrige is now cool to touch but the temps in hardware monitor didn't change. Dead easy to install, no problem with space and cheap :)