Intel OEM CPU packaging question

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

oldabelincoln

Intel OEM CPU packaging question

Post by oldabelincoln » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:38 am

I've just bought an Intel Q9300 from Fry's, for a new build. It's not retail boxed, has no cooler, and comes in a modest clear plastic clamshell case. The case doesn't want to open, and that's my problem.

The clamshell looks like it's designed to be opened without much fuss - it has an easily grasped and well designed set of lips on one side, presumably meant to allow easy opening of the shell, and a plastic hinge at the opposide side. All told, it looks like it is designed to snap open and closed with only modest force.

I've tried to open it, succeeding only in bending the lips apart without opening the shell at all. It's acting like the top and bottom might be glued together inside the shell, which would defeat the apparent purpose of the design.

I've never used an "unboxed" or OEM version of a CPU before (or an Intel CPU for that matter). I'm wondering if I have a unit that has somehow been heated enough in transit or storage that the plastic shell is sticking together because of melting (although it looks ok) - in which case, I should probably return it.

Or, is it meant to be cut open, in spite of the design? If I cut it open, and it proves to have a problem, then I've got a problem returning it with a chopped-up case.

Any ideas or experiences?

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:19 am

It'll be fine! Open it! :D

johnniecache7

Post by johnniecache7 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:58 am

:lol: Reminds me of the AMD Athlon XP packaging were you needed chainsaw to get it open and even then the damn packaging was so sharp it could take finger off. :shock:
Last edited by johnniecache7 on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:29 am

It’s a shame you don’t have a retail boxed CPU as you could use the heatsink to bludgeon open the packaging. :lol:
Try using a sharp knife and poke around the edges. The CPU is likely sitting in a plastic holder and should be safe. Unless the packaging looks compromised to the point that you’re concerned about the CPU I wouldn’t worry about it.

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:32 pm

Thanks for the comments thus far.

However, I'm hoping for actual previous experiences with this OEM Intel packaging. No poster thus far has mentioned any.

If you've previously bought an OEM Intel package like this, did it open easily as it appears to be designed to do, or did it act as though it was glued together, as mine acts?

smilingcrow
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by smilingcrow » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:40 pm

I’ve bought OEM Intel CPUs in recent years and never had a problem opening the packaging.

oldabelincoln

Post by oldabelincoln » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:47 pm

smilingcrow - thanks for the response.

I decided to return the chip, but thought to give it one last try. I showed it to my wife and explained the problem. What, I thought, did I have to lose?

She had it open in 2 or 3 minutes without damaging the clamshell. No tools or brute force. She said, and I'm trying to be accurate, that she had to wiggle it around a bit. I watched her do it and I still don't know how she did it, but after 27 years of watching her do things like that, the only real question in my mind was why I didn't ask her earlier.

The CPU in question has just completed 9 hours of memtest86+. With any luck, the other 3 cpus will be fine.

Sigh...

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:47 pm

Comments on a CPU 'going through' memtest aside, my E8400 arrived wrapped in cellfoam and nothing more! :lol:

I was very close to sending an e-mail to the store to ask why on earth the CPU was packaged this way, but I had just waited three weeks for the stock to come, so I wasn't about to get difficult about it.

Congrats on the new CPU, and sounds like the good ol' second opinion can solve many an issue. :wink: