Undervolting Q6600?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

philje123

Undervolting Q6600?

Post by philje123 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:39 am

Hey there guys.

Im rather puzzled about how I can achieve this...

I've got an Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI motherboard and the only option in the bios is to increase the voltage from the stock 1.262v but cannot be lowered any further than that...

Any ideas chaps?

Phil

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:15 pm

This one is easy, high performance boards don't have undervoltage options. Just about the only time you will see undervoltage settings are on boards that are marketed at home entertainment crowd, PCs for home theater. This typically would be the boards with integrated video.

Sorry.

treker

Post by treker » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:41 pm

I have had several high performance mobo that undervolt. It is the manufacturer that decides to allow undervolting in BIOS. ABIT has chosen NOT to allow undervolting. I used to be an Abit fan and built several systems with their mobo. UNTIL they decided NOT to allow Undervolting. Instead, they select VID as the lowest voltage allowed. Very shortsighted!

I am currently using a pretty high performance Gigabyte P35-DS4 that allows it. I run at 1.0V! Nice and cool and quiet!
Same for ASUS P5Q PRO. Same for ASUS P5K PRO. See the pattern here. NO Abit!

Mats

Post by Mats » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm

Your only option is to undervolt with software.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:38 am

With CrystalCPUID you can disable EIST and force your Q6600 into "low power" mode. I think that's the best you'll get with a board that won't allow hardware undervolting.

There is a pencil mod floating around somewhere on the net, but I don't think it gets you much lower than VID. iirc it doesn't offer much benefit over software undervolting, but has the obvious associated risk of b0rking your chip.