Undervolting CPU bad for anything?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

farns

Undervolting CPU bad for anything?

Post by farns » Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:31 am

I dont know anything about basic electronics, is undervolting a CPU (specifically a Core2Duo) bad for anything such as the PSU, or indeed bad for the CPU itself?

My guess is that the less voltage the better if CPU passes stability tests, but then its making it work harder on less voltage....

My E6600 @ 2.4ghz passes Orthos + 3Dmark at 1.1V which is less even than idle on stock speedstep.

Please enlighten me wether this ok for the computer longterm compared to running it at stock Vcore and letting speedstep raise the voltage when under load.
I can overclock up to 3.2ghz on the stock VCore also , while still gaining the benefit of speedstep Vcore at idle, pretty typical overclock for these I think.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:08 am

Hello,

It is the inverse of overclocking, so if you use a voltage that is too low, it won't work. I don't think it will hurt anything, though; since it will run cooler.

Where in New Zealand are you located?

nici

Post by nici » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:42 am

Apart from unstability caused by setting the voltage too low, it can't physically hurt anything. It may actually increase the life of the processor. Just make sure it's stable by running some tests. The power draw of the processor affects the efficiency of the voltage regulators and PSU, so gaining efficiency on one part may lower it for another. But this is not really an issue in most cases.

Elvellon

Post by Elvellon » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:30 am

Can semi-unstable underclocking result in corrupt files, like Windows installations?

Edit: ofc meant undervolting
Last edited by Elvellon on Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Modo

Post by Modo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:55 am

Yes, it can, just as unstable overclocking.

farns

Post by farns » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Thanks for answers, Im in Taupo btw Neil (small semi-resort town by the countrys biggest lake, skiing/fishing/hunting + summer beach stuff, nice food etc) its nice for a small town I guess.

So in theory stable undervolting actually prolongs the life of the CPU, ideal. As pointed out there could be a marginal loss of PSU efficiency but 1.05V idle isnt that different on power draw to stock 1.125 idle (with speedstep), I dont care much about PSU efficiency under load as the CPU will be idle or under low load most of the time.