mini-itx with both PCI and PCI-e?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Spare Tire

mini-itx with both PCI and PCI-e?

Post by Spare Tire » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:31 am

Are there any mini-itx board with two expantion slot, one PCI, one PCI-e? I know MSI Fuzzy has some with intel chipsets (old 965) but are there other? Preferably something that can do hybrid cross-fire or hybrid SLI.

QuietOC

Re: mini-itx with both PCI and PCI-e?

Post by QuietOC » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:37 am

Spare Tire wrote:Are there any mini-itx board with two expantion slot, one PCI, one PCI-e? I know MSI Fuzzy has some with intel chipsets (old 965) but are there other? Preferably something that can do hybrid cross-fire or hybrid SLI.
Mini-ITX specification only allows 1 expansion slot. AMD's DTX specification allowed 2 expansion slots. Intel's FlexATX allowed 3 expansion slots. MicroATX is 4 expansion slots. All of these share the standard ATX I/O plate area.

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:53 pm

If you check the MSI mini-ITX boards, you'll noticed that a few have a 2nd slot beside the first one. The second slot is not usable in any standard ATX form factor case but works if you have a bunch of riser cards going somewhere. The only other board make I've known that does that is Kontron (which is very expensive to and difficult to buy).

But why do you even need SLI/X-fire? AMD has the 4870x2 cards which does it on the card itself, and it sounded like nVidia were considering their own version of a dual-GPU card.

Spare Tire

Post by Spare Tire » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:46 pm

The power supply of my mini-itx case tops out at 120W, 4870x2 would overshoot this by a mile, and being a 2 slot solution, it'll take up the second expand for the PCI (which defeats the whole purpose of me looking for a mini-itx board with a PCI and a PCI-e).
How badass a CPU and GPU do you want to cram into a mini-itx case?

As for riser cards, not a problem, they go for cheap enough on ebay, even the ones that are pci-e/pci stacked combo.

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:12 am

Oops! I misread your original post! Somehow I thought you were asking for dual PCIe.

p5ycho

Post by p5ycho » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:17 am

the new MSI im-gm45 has a PCI slot and a PCIe x1 slot right behind the PCI slot. check out the press release at the MSI site.

GM45 based.

Spare Tire

Post by Spare Tire » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:16 pm

Naw, i'm looking for PCI-e x16 and PCI.

Shobai

Post by Shobai » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:32 am

sorry for digging up such an old thread, but just wanted to chime in, if anyone's looking for something similar in the future. one of the best ways, i reckon, to find something suitable is to check out what companies like HP and Dell are using in their SFF machines.

For example, being in the same boat as the OP [although not worried about hybrid SLI/etc] i came across the Asus M2NC51-AR, as used in some HP slimline machines. I know it's not a recent chipset, but the venerable geforce 6150LE still gets the job done, and with a 65W [max] CPU and mild discrete graphics card, media centre duties are covered =)

but yes, maybe not everyone's cuppa, but possibly a good place to start. good luck!

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:31 am

Of course I can't find it but I swear I did saw a PCI Express x16 riser, which then gave a single PCI slot and a PCI Express x16 slot (x8 electrically) or something like that. Yes and it costed big $$$

boost

Post by boost » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:04 am

How about this one:
http://us.kontron.com/products/boards+a ... 5mitx.html
But I think you need a riser card to use both slots (or a Dremel for the case).