p5q-em sleep mode no longer works after I overclocked ram

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

leiff

p5q-em sleep mode no longer works after I overclocked ram

Post by leiff » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:50 pm

After putting in my new ballistix 2X2gig 4-4-4-12 2v Ram I noticed PC set it at 5-5-5-18 1.8V so I put it to the rated speed in bios. Now my computer refuses to go into sleep mode. Is this because I changed voltage on Ram? I went into bios; hit f5 to reset everything and even tried different ram but computer will no longer sleep.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:02 am

I have a similar(?) problem that I haven't figured out, with the same board. When I try to put it to S3 sleep, it sleeps and immediately restarts. OS is Vista. I also have manual settings on everything, to the rated speeds and voltages. It's connected to a TV through HDMI, could this have something to do with it?

All my PCs, on XP or Vista, work perfectly with S3 but I can't find a solution for this.

leiff

Post by leiff » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:14 pm

I've replaced my original ram and sleep still won't work anymore. I've tried dvi, hdmi and vga. I'm sure sleep was working before but now it's not. I'm going to try reinstalling windows and if that doesn't work I'll try removing and reinserting c-mos chip.

Jimx,
Was your sleep mode working originally? If so, do you know what changes you may have made to your system since? Keep me updated on your progress.

JimX
Friend of SPCR

Post by JimX » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:36 pm

No, it never worked. But I only got the board on Friday, installed Windows on Sunday, set it up, no sleep...

I think I have tried every BIOS-Windows combination, but nothing changes.

Another thing that could possibly affect this is WMP sharing, that I set. But my Vista laptop sleeps OK.

Spare Tire

Post by Spare Tire » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:43 pm

run a memtest86+
It happened to me and i found errors with memtest86+. In my case, after i changed ram from OCZ to corsair, it worked again. But the thing is it worked with the OCZ in the beginning, so i suppose the hardware just got bad because of overclock. I suspected the VRM to be bad as they all eventually started to be unstable. I had the caps replaced but that's still not over with so i don't know if that was the cause.

leiff

Post by leiff » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:24 pm

After putting in my new ram and overclocking it, I put back my old ram that has never been overclocked and it won't even allow sleep. Has the MB been damaged? I'll run mem86 again. How many hours should I let it run? What is "vrm" and what are the "caps" you are referring to

Spare Tire

Post by Spare Tire » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:39 pm

I'm talking about the voltage regulation things that are right above the CPU slots. Those are the ones responsible for providing power to the CPU and they are the ones that are taxed when you overclock. In my case, i found that the rams were not defective because tested on another machine fine, but memtest86+ still detected errors, i suspect the memory controler must somehow be misbehaving, and since it was an athlon, the memory controler was on the CPU, and i tried different CPUs and they all had that problem so i thought it would be the voltage regulation module.
Caps are capacitors. If they are electrolytic ones, like in old time motherboards, they are often the first cause of failure in the mobo as they degrade with time, may pop, leak, or look just fine but don't perform well.
In my case, memtest86+ detected errors in one run, and repeated those errors but not at the exact same location, so that also made me think the rams were not the ones at fault.