Anandtech - "NVIDIA's Ion Platform: Performance Preview

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lowpowercomputing

Post by lowpowercomputing » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:53 am

Plekto wrote:Actually, the dual-core model is supposed to be the next model of the Mac Mini. So technically it IS designed to be a tiny desktop.
I seriously hope this won't come true because that new Mac mini would have a significantly lower performance than the current Core 2 Duo-based models.

I'm still waiting for a new Mac mini, preferably with a C2D and a 9400M.

ilovejedd

Post by ilovejedd » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:30 am

QuietOC wrote:Why would anyone buy an Atom-based desktop?
Form factor and price. For some people, even Micro ATX is too big and there's a distinct lack of quiet, low-profile coolers for desktop CPUs. I wouldn't buy a ready-made nettop but I'd love to get my hands on an ION-based Mini-/Nano-ITX board.

Paired with the 9400M (or whatever chipset they use for the ION), it would be perfect as an HD extender. I have a Popcorn Hour (uses the same chip as the Western Digital WDTV) and there's still a bunch of stuff it doesn't play. Like Aris mentioned, it'll be like an Apple TV on crack.

Plekto

Post by Plekto » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:57 pm

lowpowercomputing wrote:
Plekto wrote:Actually, the dual-core model is supposed to be the next model of the Mac Mini. So technically it IS designed to be a tiny desktop.
I seriously hope this won't come true because that new Mac mini would have a significantly lower performance than the current Core 2 Duo-based models.

I'm still waiting for a new Mac mini, preferably with a C2D and a 9400M.
http://i.gizmodo.com/5132932/apple-to-u ... r-apple-tv
This is the article in question. CPU speed isn't the problem with the Mini - it's the pathetic video. For the intended uses, the Ion would result in a vast increase in actual usability. For less cost as well. $400 Mac Mini? Sounds great to me.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:10 pm

Plekto wrote: http://i.gizmodo.com/5132932/apple-to-u ... r-apple-tv
This is the article in question. CPU speed isn't the problem with the Mini - it's the pathetic video. For the intended uses, the Ion would result in a vast increase in actual usability. For less cost as well. $400 Mac Mini? Sounds great to me.
Ion is pretty likely for Apple TV (see article title), not so much for Mac Mini. The intended use (by Apple, which is all that matters) for the Mini is to be an iMac for people who want to have a separate monitor. Apple TV is there answer for people who watch iTunes on a big screen and want something a little beyond an iPod. If you want to do something beyond iTunes, that is your problem, not theirs :D I would be very surprised to see a Mac Mini using any sort of Atom or priced at $400.

lowpowercomputing

Post by lowpowercomputing » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:04 am

jessekopelman wrote:
Plekto wrote: http://i.gizmodo.com/5132932/apple-to-u ... r-apple-tv
Ion is pretty likely for Apple TV (see article title), not so much for Mac Mini. The intended use (by Apple, which is all that matters) for the Mini is to be an iMac for people who want to have a separate monitor. Apple TV is there answer for people who watch iTunes on a big screen and want something a little beyond an iPod. If you want to do something beyond iTunes, that is your problem, not theirs :D I would be very surprised to see a Mac Mini using any sort of Atom or priced at $400.
You took the words right out of my mouth. My current Mac mini is my main desktop and my next one will be as well. So I'm not too fussed about the GPU although a 9400 or so would surely be nice – but I want a fast Core 2 Duo. I'd also be willing to pay more than $400 for that.

Just my $0.02.