ASRock G41M-LE good for new budget build?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LodeHacker

ASRock G41M-LE good for new budget build?

Post by LodeHacker » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:06 am

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=G41M-LE

For the last two days I've been trying to find the perfect Micro-ATX motherboard for my new build. The ASRock G41M-LE seems to be the only one to fit the description, what do you guys think about it?

I see some problems with it though:
1) O.C. with jumpers? The price justifies this I guess.
2) No S/PDIF output (need a sound card for this :( )

What makes the perfect Micro-ATX are the following, in case you want to try and find a better alternative:
1) Support for Socket 775 Core 2 CPUs (preferred FSB support up to 1333Mhz)
2) DDR2 memory (preferred up to 1066Mhz)
3) PCI Express x16 for graphics (preferred is PCI-E v2.0)
4) S/PDIF coaxial output (optional)
5) Clean, but stylish look (please no ugly yellow/orange ASUS!) :P
6) Micro-ATX form factor, and price should be at maximum around 60 EUR / 90 USD.

Thanks in advance!

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:43 pm

mLy!

Post by mLy! » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:49 pm

I have also been looking for cheap motherboard with coaxial SPDIF, but I only found AMD boards with this back panel connector.

LodeHacker

Post by LodeHacker » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:55 pm

rpsgc wrote:G41 motherboards use the (very) old ICH7 southbridge.
What is wrong with it? Sure there is no RAID or Hot Plug support, but I have never used these features, so won't probably miss them or something.

The G43Twins-FullHD brings some nice features like PCI Express 2.0 and DDR3 support, but doesn't support S/PDIF either so I rather save some money by going for the G41M-LE, which has a more simple board layout as well. Both Gigabyte motherboards you refer to aren't any better than the G41M-LE and an S/PDIF I/O header is not really what I'm looking for. I rather place a dedicated sound card in place of a simple bracket with S/PDIF I/O. After all, space must be used conservatively in small form factors like Micro ATX. Thanks anyway.

The only motherboard which truly is the perfect one is the P43ME from ASRock, but the thing is I can not find ANYONE who sells these not even internationally! http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P43ME&s=775