HELP! nb temps out of control for gigabyte ma770 mobo

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ddrj

HELP! nb temps out of control for gigabyte ma770 mobo

Post by ddrj » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:56 pm

Hey everyone, I just finished installing a new build and the temps for the northboard for this mobo are ~85*C with nothing resource intensive going on!! I googled and all fingers point to the stock nb heatsink that gigabyte has on these boards.

Here's the board I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128376

Now I want to get a good nb cooler that can be either passive or active cooling, it's no problem but the problem is this: I am also running a scythe mugen 2 as the cpu cooler so I don't know what nb cooler would fit!

Money's not a problem as long as I can get rid of the stock nb cooler. I would post pictures but I don't have my camera. However my build looks very similar to this picture (you can see the scythe mugen 2 there and the way the guy removed the stock hs on his vid card is the same as mine). The only difference is that mine is in a p183 case.

PLEASE any recommendations for a nb cooler that'd fit underneath the scythe mugen 2 would be helpful...

Thanks in advance..

ddrj

Post by ddrj » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:57 pm

quick update... here's my screenie with the nb temps for speedfan :

here's one for everest, but i don't see one for the nb: click

And tomorrow I think I might pop on over and buy this: http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item= ... pg#picture

what do you guys think?

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:20 pm

I have that zalman cooler, however I don't think it will fit under the Mugen. You may look at the Thermalright HR-05 SLI, but I wouldn't be able to tell you if it fits. I'd think that's your best bet, but wouldn't put money on it. If you go towards some modding, maybe you could pretzel the HR-05 like some have done with the Accelero S1, but the difference in size makes me skeptical, although not outruling the possibility. I have the normal HR-05, and it fits comfortably next to my Ninja, and keeps very cool, on my P45 chipset. It's at least worth looking into, but I can't say for sure if it would work.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:03 pm

ddrj

You might be getting all worked up over nothing. Not all sensor data reported by Speedfan should be taken at face value.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:49 am

ddrj wrote:Hey everyone, I just finished installing a new build and the temps for the northboard for this mobo are ~85*C with nothing resource intensive going on!!
Sometimes the motherboard's sensor reports a false value. Many people here including myself were very worried over the NB temperatures on the Gigabyte 780G boards. No matter what the conditions were, the board still reported very high NB temperatures, so it led some to believe the sensor was wrongly calibrated.

If the Mugen 2 didn't pose a challenge to you on that board, I would be suggesting a Thermalright HR-05 IFX as others have also. But I really can't tell you if it will fit with the Mugen 2 there.

You may have a lot of trouble getting that Zalman HS to fit as Gigabyte spaces the NB heatsink's pushpin holes quite far apart. It's also quite small compared to the stock HS. The miniscule screws, bolts and nuts will give you grief as well. But if you have a few hours spare and don't mind wasting it, hey, give it a go. Also, with todays hot chipsets, I don't think the Zalman HSs have what it takes anymore. On SBs, they should work okay though.

Sorry for not being able to give you a definitive answer.

ddrj

Post by ddrj » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:41 am

Thanks everyone! Perhaps I'm over reacting but after reading those newegg reviews and googling, i saw the same problem everywhere. I can't leave my finger on the nb heatsink for more than a second either. Oh well.. no use in getting that zalman cooler if it won't cool the thing. I think what i'll do is reapply the thermal paste.

In case the thermal paste doesn't work or somehow I smell something smoking, i'd wanna know what to do... Here's the situation: the scythe is pretty huge and it covers only 1/5th of the nb. In that case, would something like the hr-05 SLI work? i know the 05 ifx probably might not fit, but what about this:

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/ ... -05sli.jpg

edit: alright nevermind... i will take you guys' word for it that it's something wrong with the temp sensors. i'll let it run like it is atm i guess. i just don't want it turning into a ball of fire hehe

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:38 am

Is the chip burning hot at its default settings? Does the BIOS or third party utility allow you to lower the NB voltage? If it runs burning hot at even the lowest settings, then I think it must be the nature of the AMD 770 chipset plus Gigabyte's own design of this board. I remember also reading newegg reviews of an older version of this board: many users complaining of a burning hot chip/heatsink as well.

Unfortunately, this is a common problem with AMD chipsets especially on Gigabyte motherboards. You can try using an aftermarket NB cooler and see if the temps improve. There is no doubt that if you put one of those Thermalrights on the NB, it will keep it cool. If the readings continue to be unusually high, it tells you that the sensor is corrupt.

This is what I told another user regarding Thermalright HR-05 IFX SLI: [It] is designed for Nvidia SLI systems but can be used for other setups as well and benefits from being able to rotate to ideal position on board, so as not to interfere with other components. However, it does not sit securely after installation (perhaps due to rotation feature) which may be a small design flaw. Other than this, I really can't say for sure whether the Mugen 2 will get along nicely with the TR HR-05 IFX/SLI on your board.

BTW heatsinks aren't really designed for us to put our precious fingers on. But the curious (myself included) do so at our peril. If it is hot, it's a sign that it's doing its job of dissipating heat. But high temps are a worry for us who care about these things.

I found this post which may interest you, but I'm not sure it is of much help.

If you can live with higher chipset temps but want the peace of mind of at least having some air flow over the heatsink, you can try using a top-down cooler instead of a tower. There are a few good performing top-downers available, and if you need to, you can get recommendations from those of us who care about these things.

ddrj

Post by ddrj » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:24 pm

Shamgar wrote:Is the chip burning hot at its default settings? Does the BIOS or third party utility allow you to lower the NB voltage? If it runs burning hot at even the lowest settings, then I think it must be the nature of the AMD 770 chipset plus Gigabyte's own design of this board. I remember also reading newegg reviews of an older version of this board: many users complaining of a burning hot chip/heatsink as well.

Unfortunately, this is a common problem with AMD chipsets especially on Gigabyte motherboards. You can try using an aftermarket NB cooler and see if the temps improve. There is no doubt that if you put one of those Thermalrights on the NB, it will keep it cool. If the readings continue to be unusually high, it tells you that the sensor is corrupt.

This is what I told another user regarding Thermalright HR-05 IFX SLI: [It] is designed for Nvidia SLI systems but can be used for other setups as well and benefits from being able to rotate to ideal position on board, so as not to interfere with other components. However, it does not sit securely after installation (perhaps due to rotation feature) which may be a small design flaw. Other than this, I really can't say for sure whether the Mugen 2 will get along nicely with the TR HR-05 IFX/SLI on your board.

BTW heatsinks aren't really designed for us to put our precious fingers on. But the curious (myself included) do so at our peril. If it is hot, it's a sign that it's doing its job of dissipating heat. But high temps are a worry for us who care about these things.

I found this post which may interest you, but I'm not sure it is of much help.

If you can live with higher chipset temps but want the peace of mind of at least having some air flow over the heatsink, you can try using a top-down cooler instead of a tower. There are a few good performing top-downers available, and if you need to, you can get recommendations from those of us who care about these things.

Shamgar, I hate to have to do this especially after you took a long while to write up a solution that I will not be able to test :(

Sadly today my mobo passed away...

I left it on last night all night. I even placed a 120mm fan to blow directly onto the nb. I noticed that it kept randomly turning off all day and later today it would not even post.

The good news is that newegg decided to accept my return and even provided a shipping label.

Ah well... so long gigabyte board :( You will be missed...

-ddrj

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:03 am

Thanks for keeping us updated. Sorry to hear about the passing away of the Gigabyte. It happens. I think I may have to give up on one I have here too. Happy to hear newegg can help you out though.

As for me taking time to help you out, don't mention it. I try to do my best to help other so called newbies here in my own limited ways.

ddrj

Post by ddrj » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:10 am

Shamgar wrote:Thanks for keeping us updated. Sorry to hear about the passing away of the Gigabyte. It happens. I think I may have to give up on one I have here too. Happy to hear newegg can help you out though.

As for me taking time to help you out, don't mention it. I try to do my best to help other so called newbies here in my own limited ways.

Thanks Shamgar :) I ended up going with another gigabyte board (haven't lost all my trust yet ;) ). This is the one I got: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128387

I already checked up the reviews and they say that nb temps don't go above 40-50 degrees even under stress tests :)

I will keep you all updated and see how this goes.

-ddrj

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:37 am

ddrj wrote:Thanks Shamgar :) I ended up going with another gigabyte board (haven't lost all my trust yet ;) ). This is the one I got: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128387
That's one chockablock board. Lots of cables included too. Looks like you're going to have lots of fun. :) From what you just said, it shouldn't be too hot to handle either. Hope it serves you well.