Asus AT3GC-I

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jeffinsf

Asus AT3GC-I

Post by jeffinsf » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:36 am

Does anyone have any experience with these Atom 330 boards?

I've not been having the best of luck with the BIOS on the Intel D945GCLF2 and need to consider alternatives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131396

fornaf

Post by fornaf » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Does anyone have any experience with these Atom 330 boards?
I've not been having the best of luck with the BIOS on the Intel D945GCLF2 and need to consider alternatives.
I recently bought Intel D945GCLF2 MB and I am quite satisfied with power consumption and performance: I measured 37W for a system composed by the MB and 1Gb RAM and 43W for the full system (+ 1TB green HD, DVD-RW, Kybd & mouse).

Unfortunately it seems refusing to work with the Adaptec SCSI card AHA-2940UW (quite old but perfectly working on other my PCs) :cry:

In particular Windows sometimes boot sometimes not (when it starts I can find controller error and controller memory error in the event viewer); Linux OS instead always Panic after probing the controller (this with recent distributions).

IMHO my SCSI card is not correctly managed by the BIOS
Did you have similar problems ?

In the next days I'll test the Asus AT3GC-I MB and I'll post some results about.

jeffinsf

Post by jeffinsf » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:58 am

My problems were with an inability to boot, potentially related to GPT disk drives. The BIOS on the Intel board would basically enter a state in which it could not properly detect bootable devices and not be recoverable in any reliable way.

So far I have four of the ASUS boards running. Assuming the temp measurements are similarly calibrated when viewed in Speedfan, the ASUS boards run significantly cooler than the Intel boards. The 40mm fans on the ASUS boards are better than the Intel ones, but still worth replacing with something like the Scythe 10mm or 20mm thick ones. No more than a couple degrees difference seen under Prime95 load for the 10mm vs. 20mm, with a 120 mm Yate-Loon exhausting a Apex MI-100 case (with its CD door removed to provide an air inlet). The ASUS boards don't seem to have BIOS-level control of the fan speed.

Edit -- 2009/08/10 -- Probably could run without a fan on the heatsink in the MI-100 with the airflow as described, but for under $5 for a decent Scythe 40mm replacement, running at minimum on a Zalman FanMate with the 120mm, there is neither significant noise nor cost to be saved.
Last edited by jeffinsf on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fornaf

Post by fornaf » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:36 am

Today I prepared a new system with the Asus AT3GC-I MB, after some tests I agree 100% on what you said about CPU temperature.
My scope is to realise a NAS system with 6 HD (raid5 with hot spare). Since the computer will be placed in an isolated room, noise should not a problem for me...

The very good news is that this board correctly manage my Adaptec SCSI controller.

johan851

Post by johan851 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:27 pm

So far I have four of the ASUS boards running. Assuming the temp measurements are similarly calibrated when viewed in Speedfan, the ASUS boards run significantly cooler than the Intel boards.
Out of curiosity, do these offer any options for changing clocks and/or voltage?

codemonkey17

Physical Specs

Post by codemonkey17 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:44 pm

Hi I was just curious if anyone has the ASUS AT3GC-I what the physical height of the board is... I have searched every where on the net and can find the width/depth of 6.75in or 17.1cm but i need the height from bottom of board to the heightest point if possible.