x58 Motherboard fan control

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mattyc

x58 Motherboard fan control

Post by mattyc » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:07 am

I am looking for a x58 motherboard and one of the major requirements is fan connectors which can be used and varied by speedfan etc. I presently have a asus maximus formula x38 with core duo and it can speed control all my 4 case fans and cpu. I have seen various motherboards i like but they only seem to offer variable fan speed on the cpu header and i dont want a fan controller.
The asus gene 11 Rampage looks quite good :-

http://uk.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=6i ... templete=2

It has variable fan control for all fans but i am wondering if anyone has experience in with this subject on other x58 chipset boards.

Thanks in advance.

edan

Re: x58 Motherboard fan control

Post by edan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:52 pm

mattyc wrote:I am looking for a x58 motherboard and one of the major requirements is fan connectors which can be used and varied by speedfan etc. I presently have a asus maximus formula x38 with core duo and it can speed control all my 4 case fans and cpu. I have seen various motherboards i like but they only seem to offer variable fan speed on the cpu header and i dont want a fan controller.
The asus gene 11 Rampage looks quite good :-

http://uk.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=6i ... templete=2

It has variable fan control for all fans but i am wondering if anyone has experience in with this subject on other x58 chipset boards.
I am using that motherboard in my new build. It has two "chassis fans" that are tied together, the CPU fan header (which is PWM, a 3-pin fan will be 12V always), and two OPT fans that can be controlled separately. The two OPT fans have 2-pin temperature sensor inputs or they can be controlled at a fixed percentage by the BIOS. I've been relying on the BIOS to control the fans, and I'm happy enough with that right now. Using temperature controls in the BIOS, the chassis fans seem to ramp up with CPU temperature.

I'm totally new to SpeedFan, but as I recall I was able to control the two chassis fans together using SpeedFan with BIOS Q-Fan control off. I didn't have a PWM fan to test the CPU control within Speedfan, and it seems like it didn't let me control the OPT1 fan from SpeedFan either--although the Asus AI tool could see the OPT1 fan's speed (even though Speedfan couldn't).

I did a little searching on some Asus SpeedFan things and it seemed confusing. I liked the BIOS quieting the fans before the OS started up, so I just set the chassis fan to Q-Fan control "quiet" and used OPT1 at like 60% (where my S-FLEX E was still barely audible). I get a CPU Fan error at boot, but otherwise life is good. (My NB temps run kinda high--in the 80's--but I think that's my case/fan setup).

Hope this helps!

ame

Post by ame » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:58 pm

You might be able to avoid the error message by setting 'CPU fan speed' to 'Ignore' in the BIOS.

edan

Post by edan » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:16 pm

ame wrote:You might be able to avoid the error message by setting 'CPU fan speed' to 'Ignore' in the BIOS.
Thanks., but I'm pretty sure I tried that--I don't want to reboot right now to check, but I'm almost 100% positive I did. It also seemed the only way to ignore "CPU Fan Error" was to disable pausing for ANY error, and I didn't like the sound of that. I'm not using it as any kind of server, so I don't care if it reboots unattended, so I just live with hitting F1 for now.

Since I'm at home, I can comment from my notes. Q-Fan ran the chassis fans at 7.5V at idle on "Silent" mode. It, as mathematically expected, ran OPT1 at 5.36V when set to "Duty Mode" and 40%. OPT2 control was disabled, and was at 12V, until I shorted it out with my foolishly cavalier testing :P

But since the 2 OPT Fans can be set at 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, or 90%, I thought it provided a "free fan controller" for at least two independent fans, plus the two fans controlled as "Chassis," the motherboard seemed really quite flexible for fan control. With 2-pin temperature sensors (I was thinking of picking up these at FrozenCPU, you can set control points in the BIOS for temps to activate "low fan" or "high fan". Heh, I assume I can still use both OPT1 and OPT2 temperature sensors... even if I shorted out one of the fan headers 8)

Hope this helps!

PhilW

Post by PhilW » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:56 am

edan wrote:
ame wrote:You might be able to avoid the error message by setting 'CPU fan speed' to 'Ignore' in the BIOS.
Thanks., but I'm pretty sure I tried that--I don't want to reboot right now to check, but I'm almost 100% positive I did. It also seemed the only way to ignore "CPU Fan Error" was to disable pausing for ANY error, and I didn't like the sound of that. I'm not using it as any kind of server, so I don't care if it reboots unattended, so I just live with hitting F1 for now.

Since I'm at home, I can comment from my notes. Q-Fan ran the chassis fans at 7.5V at idle on "Silent" mode. It, as mathematically expected, ran OPT1 at 5.36V when set to "Duty Mode" and 40%. OPT2 control was disabled, and was at 12V, until I shorted it out with my foolishly cavalier testing :P

But since the 2 OPT Fans can be set at 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, or 90%, I thought it provided a "free fan controller" for at least two independent fans, plus the two fans controlled as "Chassis," the motherboard seemed really quite flexible for fan control. With 2-pin temperature sensors (I was thinking of picking up these at FrozenCPU, you can set control points in the BIOS for temps to activate "low fan" or "high fan". Heh, I assume I can still use both OPT1 and OPT2 temperature sensors... even if I shorted out one of the fan headers 8)

Hope this helps!
Are you using standard 3-pin fans on the Chassis and Opt headers? And the board can automatically control fan speed with these fans?

Phil

edan

Post by edan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:50 am

PhilW wrote: Are you using standard 3-pin fans on the Chassis and Opt headers? And the board can automatically control fan speed with these fans?
Phil
As I hinted above, I'm using three Scythe S-FLEX E (1200rpm), which are 3 pin. I haven't tried any PWM fans on the CPU fan header. Q-Fan in the BIOS can automatically control the two chassis fans based on pre-programmed temperature profiles (silent, standard, and turbo), and it will control the two OPT fans based on temperatures if you have sensors that are not provided.

But yeah, all the fan headers have 4-pins, but only the CPU fan header is PWM. The other ones it controls via voltages, so my 3-pin fans all work fine.

I have had trouble with the onboard network device dropping out in Windows 7 RC, but only when I played a 3D game. I finally started to notice audio dropping out and choppy mouse movement, which went away when I set all fans to 100%. I've noticed the NB temp via the LCD poster to be at least 87C sometimes, and I never looked at it when I was playing the game. So I would take caution you to mind the NB temps :)

(The temps are better back at stock speeds, so it's still a work in progress for me.)

PhilW

Post by PhilW » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:13 pm

edan wrote:
PhilW wrote: Are you using standard 3-pin fans on the Chassis and Opt headers? And the board can automatically control fan speed with these fans?
Phil
As I hinted above, I'm using three Scythe S-FLEX E (1200rpm), which are 3 pin. I haven't tried any PWM fans on the CPU fan header. Q-Fan in the BIOS can automatically control the two chassis fans based on pre-programmed temperature profiles (silent, standard, and turbo), and it will control the two OPT fans based on temperatures if you have sensors that are not provided.

But yeah, all the fan headers have 4-pins, but only the CPU fan header is PWM. The other ones it controls via voltages, so my 3-pin fans all work fine.

I have had trouble with the onboard network device dropping out in Windows 7 RC, but only when I played a 3D game. I finally started to notice audio dropping out and choppy mouse movement, which went away when I set all fans to 100%. I've noticed the NB temp via the LCD poster to be at least 87C sometimes, and I never looked at it when I was playing the game. So I would take caution you to mind the NB temps :)

(The temps are better back at stock speeds, so it's still a work in progress for me.)
Thanks man, that's exactly what I need to know.

As for your NB high temp, you may like to install a small 40mm fan to cool it or even reapply the TIM. Heard there're cases where this was badly done. I will be watercooling my NB so hopefully it will run cool.

Phil

johndavid

Need help

Post by johndavid » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:19 pm

Hey guys whats up. Got a problem here. I just bought a new pc.

I have :
intel i7 2.66 processor
evga x58 3X SLI motherboard
evga 8800GT superclocked videocard
850WATT cosair power supply
6gig's of ocz tripple path platinum

My problem is.. When I hit the power button. It takes like 10 or more seconds to have the post beep and then the LED on the motherboard says 7F. First time starting it. It would turn off, and then turn back on by itself. That was just a different outlet in another room though.

It was really frustrating cause I dont know whats going on. I just built it and I have it hooked up to a monitor that wont display anything just yet. But when I do I'll make another post.

Thank you in advance

ascl

Re: Need help

Post by ascl » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:39 pm

johndavid wrote:Hey guys whats up. Got a problem here. I just bought a new pc.
Please don't hijack someone elses thread. Please start a new thread in the system troubleshooting section.