D945GSEJT fan control (under FreeNAS)

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

fkj

D945GSEJT fan control (under FreeNAS)

Post by fkj » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:27 pm

Can I control a fan (on/off/speed) as a function of temperature on the Intel D945GSEJT Atom board using FreeNAS?

Want a system without active cooling, but would be nice with a fan just in case... :-)

~Frank

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:29 pm

In the bios there is an option for semi passive cooling. Unfortunately it didn`t work for me as the fan never turned on, even when the cpu reached 80 degrees. I haven`t got the latest bios version mind you. Normal fan control works fine. What kind of fan will you be using?

fkj

Post by fkj » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:42 pm

ntavlas wrote:Normal fan control works fine.
By normal fan control you mean software on/off/speed, not just speed, right?
ntavlas wrote:What kind of fan will you be using?
I don't know yet. Thinking of a slow 92-120mm (as slim as possible). The idea is, that it should run without a fan, but just in case that is right on the edge, of what I am comftable with, it would be nice to be able to turn a fan on at at certain temperature.

~Frank

arckuk

Post by arckuk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:58 am

Frank

This mobo has a option to enable bios controlled fan speed. There is a further option to set the minimum fan speed to 'low' or 'off'. I have tried both, and found that both work well, although like ntlavas, the system allowed the CPU to get pretty hot before ramping up the fan speed when the
minimum was set to off.

I am using 2 x 80 mm Nexus basic series fans, which are pretty much inaudible in the front of my case in comparison to the 1.5 TB Samsung F2 I have running in there. They are on low speed, with the CPU currently idling at 40 degrees.

Hope that helps,

Nick

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:57 am

By normal fan control you mean software on/off/speed, not just speed, right?
Arckuk explained it better than I did. There is an option to turn the fan off though I don`t think I would trust it because it lets the cpu get too hot (80c for me, but maybe the more up to date bios has fixed this.) Why bother with passive cooling anyway, a good fan will be quieter that the disk drive like you said.

Talking about fans, I would recommend the skythe kaze zuy slim fan @ 1000rpm. It`s only 12mm thick and very quiet even at full speed. Regulated by the motherboard it should be pretty much inaudible.

leem

Re: D945GSEJT fan control (under FreeNAS)

Post by leem » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:47 am

This mobo has a option to enable bios controlled fan speed. There is a further option to set the minimum fan speed to 'low' or 'off'. I have tried both, and found that both work well, although like ntlavas, the system allowed the CPU to get pretty hot before ramping up the fan speed when the minimum was set to off
Any more experiences with the fan control on this board? I'm going to put a fan in the Mini-box M350 case and set the minimum fan speed in BIOS to 'off', but I'm a bit concerned that temps will get too high before the fan kicks in...