cpu clock affecting ram clock? (specifically phenom)

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Spare Tire

cpu clock affecting ram clock? (specifically phenom)

Post by Spare Tire » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:59 am

In the days of the athlon, the CPU clock affected the RAM clock and only certain CPU clocks would ensure full RAM clocks, if i remember correctly it had to be a multiple of the RAM clock. I was wondering if the phenom has the same behaviour? I'm using 800mHz ram so getting multiples is not a big deal, but those people with high clocked RAM, should be a problem for them. This is most relevant to speedsteps, as choosing only certain speedsteps (with programs like RMClock for athlon or K10Stat for phenom) that maintains full RAM clock is beneficial.

mczak

Post by mczak » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:28 am

No, this works differently for Phenom /-derivatives. Since the memory controller of those runs at different (and fixed - well it's changeable but usually not dynamically) clock than core clock, you'd actually expect the memory clock to be dependent on this clock (all am3 cpus so far have NB clock of 2Ghz, others may have 1.6Ghz - 2.0Ghz). But, in fact, this isn't the case neither, memory clock dividers are relative to the 200Mhz reference clock, with dividers available for 400/533/667/800/1066Mhz memory clock (+ 1333/1600 for am3 cpus). Hence memory clock is only dependent on reference clock (and divider), not any core (or NB) multiplier.