Where are the VRM's on my motherboard?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

peternm22

Where are the VRM's on my motherboard?

Post by peternm22 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:21 pm

Hello,

I recently got a new system with a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard, and it doesn't appear to have any heatsinks on the VRM's. So I've decided to add some heatsinks to them (such as the Swiftech MC14). However, I'm not sure what "exactly" the VRM's look like. I did a bit of Googling, but I'm still not sure. Here is a fairly decent resolution image of my motherboard:

http://www.links.co.jp/items/cbiggama785gmus2h1.jpg

I think the VRM's are the 5 little black squares above the CPU socket that say R60 on them. Is this correct? Or are they the little black squares ABOVE the row of R60's?

Any help would be appreciated. Also, what have your experiences been installing aftermarket heatsinks of VRM's? Any tips or things I should know? Is there any risk of the heatsinks actually causing damage themselves?

Thanks!

-Peter

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:28 am

You are looking at the right spot. Most of the components above the cpu socket are indeed parts of the cpu voltage regulator (the are others for the chipset, ram etc). The row of capacitors along with the r60 chokes (the black boxes) are the filtering stage. What you want to cool however is the bunch of power mosfets above. They`re highlighted in yellow:

Now it`s not certain that they need any extra cooling depending on your cpu of course. On my similar gigabyte 780g they don`t get too hot, that`s with a low power 4850 cpu though. With a quad core Phenom it would be a different story.

If you decide to attach some heatsinks I would recommend something like the Enzotech mos c1 as the Swiftech mc14 might be a little too big: http://www.enzotechnology.com/mos-c1.htm

As for potential dangers, just make sure that no other components are touched by the heatsinks to avoid any shorts.

b_rubenstein

Post by b_rubenstein » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:08 am

Take a look at this piece:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/ ... ircuit/616

Remember that a heatsink is needed to keep a component within its specified operating temperature. There is no point in adding heatsinks unless they are in fact needed.

peternm22

Post by peternm22 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:05 am

Thanks for the help guys.
b_rubenstein wrote:Remember that a heatsink is needed to keep a component within its specified operating temperature. There is no point in adding heatsinks unless they are in fact needed.
SPCR did a review of a Gigabyte motherboard in the same series/class as the one I have ( http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1003-page6.html ), and you can see the VRM's get mighty toasty. I thought putting heatsinks on them might help. I use a Mugen 2 heatsink on my CPU, so the air is pushed parallel to the motherboard.

Do you think I would be fine with leaving it like it is without the heatsinks? I know I might be overly cautious, but I figured I better ask.

Thanks again.

P.S. My CPU is a Phenom II X4 945 95W.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:23 am

peternm22 wrote:Do you think I would be fine with leaving it like it is without the heatsinks? I know I might be overly cautious, but I figured I better ask.

Thanks again.

P.S. My CPU is a Phenom II X4 945 95W.
I think this really depends on your ambient room/case temps, and how hard & long you push your CPU. The temps we reported in that review you linked were seen during long extended runs of CPUBurn, which generally pushes the CPU harder than any normal application. >5 minutes at full load on all the CPU cores is unusual unless you do a lot of video encoding/processing or the like. As mentioned in the article, if you have a case fan near the VRMs (most systems do) and a heatsink with a fan, then chances are the VRM temps will not get as high anyway.

peternm22

Post by peternm22 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:28 am

Hey Mike,

I'm using an Antec Fusion Max case (one that SPCR reviewed) with the 2 stock fans. Do you think that is adequate cooling for the case? Ambient temp of the room is probably 20-25 degrees celsius most of the time.

Thanks.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:34 am

peternm22 wrote:Hey Mike,

I'm using an Antec Fusion Max case (one that SPCR reviewed) with the 2 stock fans. Do you think that is adequate cooling for the case? Ambient temp of the room is probably 20-25 degrees celsius most of the time.

Thanks.
Not possible to answer fully as the details of the system are missing... but if you assemble a system sensibly, your VRMs will be fine. The system will probably end up being outmoded before being damaged or worn out by VRMs overheating.

peternm22

Post by peternm22 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:25 am

MikeC wrote: Not possible to answer fully as the details of the system are missing... but if you assemble a system sensibly, your VRMs will be fine. The system will probably end up being outmoded before being damaged or worn out by VRMs overheating.
Full specs of system:
-Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
-4GB DDR2 RAM (2x2GB)
-Antec Remote Fusion Max w/ stock fans set to "low"
-Intel X25-M 80GB as OS Drive
-WD15EARS as secondary storage drive
-(both hard drives are installed in the 'lower' chamber of the case)
-LG 16x SATA DVD Writer
-AMD Phenom II X4 945 95w
-Scythe Mugen 2 w/ stock fan
-Cool'n'Quiet Enabled
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
-Seasonic X650

That should be the complete specs. I plan on doing some video transcoding, not a lot, but I know it is a strenuous task.

Mike would you recommend putting heatsinks on the VRM's? Do you have any personal experience with them?

Thanks for all the help.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:31 am

There's should be plenty of cooling to keep the vrms in your system from overheating. I would not both trying to heatsink them -- you might just end up damaging it and rma will be hard with glue traces on the board.

We have added heatsinks to vrms in the past -- for our last heatsink test board, for example, which lacked them. They improved things a bit but not enough when the fan speed dropped below 700rpm.

peternm22

Post by peternm22 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:06 am

Great, thanks Mike.

One more question (I promise). I'm thinking about swapping out the two stock fans on the case for quieter ones. I'm thinking about the Nexus 120mm (undervolting it) for one of them (not sure about the 140mm though), do you think this would still be sufficient cooling?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:56 am

Replace & use both fans -- an unused fan leaves a hole, which then changes the airflow pattern. The Scythe 140 is pretty good.

peternm22

Post by peternm22 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:01 pm

Is this the one you are referring to http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/0 ... etail.html ?

If so, I think it only fits 120mm holes (the Antec Fusion Max has 140MM mounting holes I believe).

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:07 pm

These are the ones I mean -- http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/fa ... m-140.html -- they also have only 120mm holes... but either will probably be better than the Antec stock fan. With a little creativity, either should be easy to mount in a 140mm fan vent.

peternm22

Post by peternm22 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Alright, after some research I have a plan now:

-Use 2 Nexus 120mm real silent fans in push/pull on the Mugen 2
-Connect them to the CPU fan header, and Sys fan header (both are controllable)
-Use Speedfan to handle control of the fans
-Planning on the basic 3 pin fans, I've heard mixed reviews on the PWM Nexus fans. Thoughts?

-Nexus 120mm real silent to replace Antec 120mm case fan
-Use Zalman Fanmate to undervolt

-Scythe Slip Stream 140 Series fan to replace Antec 140mm case fan
-Use plastic zap straps to secure fan to 140mm holes

There are 4 different fans listed in the Slip Stream 140 Series, all with different noise levels/RPM's. Would it be best to get a faster fan, and undervolt it via Zalman Fanmate? Or should I simply get one that is slow/quiet at 12v?

Thanks.