MSI to BIOS: Drop Dead

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

SGCSG1

MSI to BIOS: Drop Dead

Post by SGCSG1 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:14 pm

twitch

Post by twitch » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:08 pm

There is also some speculation that intel will integrate usb3 so mb manufacturer's will not have to rely on nec chips for usb3.

Makes sandybridge that much more exciting - can't wait for "year end"

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:03 am

Fancy, thanks for the link... since BIOS' have not exactly been infallible either, I'm not declaring UEFI heresy yet. I hope it works and brings more flexibility and less hard resets!

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:33 am

twitch wrote:There is also some speculation that intel will integrate usb3 so mb manufacturer's will not have to rely on nec chips for usb3.
What difference does that make for the end user? Personally, I couldn't care less.

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:26 am

Mats wrote:
twitch wrote:There is also some speculation that intel will integrate usb3 so mb manufacturer's will not have to rely on nec chips for usb3.
What difference does that make for the end user? Personally, I couldn't care less.
Biggest advantage I can see would be having less physical components, hence less crowded mobos, hence good for smaller-than-ATX boards like mATX or ITX. Would be less parts and drivers to go wrong or have incompatibilities as well.

I can remember comparing mobos for the current build and noticing an mATX board had to put a controller chip UNDER a PCI-E slot (yes, the physical connector interface) to fit it on the motherboard. :D

Mats

Post by Mats » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:50 am

Das_Saunamies wrote:Biggest advantage I can see would be having less physical components, hence less crowded mobos, hence good for smaller-than-ATX boards like mATX or ITX. Would be less parts and drivers to go wrong or have incompatibilities as well.
But is that really an issue today, when everyone uses NEC or VIA chips, seriously? I see your point, but I still don't think it will affect the end user anyway.
It seems like Asus and J&W are both capable to make mini-ITX boards with dual chip chipsets and loads of features, and the abcense of a separate USB3 chip wouldn't make enough room for regular RAM slots anyway.
If less parts are that important I'd suggest using eSATA only, as AFAIK it doesn't need any additional controller chip even in an external HDD.

My impression was that Intel have included a USB3 chip in their reference designs for SB motherboards, ie Intel suggests the manufacturers to add it, but that doesn't really change anything from how it's done today.

Sure, it would be great to have USB3 integrated, but in the end it would be one of the least important features of a board. It doesn't make new boards "much more exciting", that's for sure. :lol:

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Das_Saunamies » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:32 am

If it's just a suggestion to add a chip then forget it - thought this was proper integration á la Northbridge or GPU. USB3 is as exciting as cold porridge.