Temp01 Overheating - Rising to 100C+

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ces

Re: Temp01 Overheating - Rising to 100C+

Post by ces » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:48 pm

andyb wrote:It is totally possible that your CPU (an example, could be any chip with a heatsink) could be running at 100c and the heatsink might not be very hot. The reason is very simple, if the heatsink is not making a good contact with the chip, then it wont be getting very hot
That makes sense except that the cores are running cool. So in this case it can't be the CPU.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:52 pm

RockingSock wrote:My heat sink fan. When it runs at 4000rpm, the thing HWmonitor and SpeedFan says is over heating, stays at 63C and shut over time. When the fan runs at 1200rpm, it rise up to 85C+ before shutting down. And there is a fan on the side for blowing air out. That's nothing important. Tell me, what do you think?
Can you place some marks on the pictures showing where you physically feel heat with your fingers when the temp is running between 63C and 85C?

RockingSock

Post by RockingSock » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:27 pm

The hottest thing I can feel out is the North Bridge and the graphic card (Which are extremely close together). I also have left over thermal compound if you suggest anything.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:42 pm

RockingSock wrote:The hottest thing I can feel out is the North Bridge and the graphic card (Which are extremely close together). I also have left over thermal compound if you suggest anything.
Water boils at 100C.

85C is the same temperature as 185F.

A. Does the north bridge feel like it could be running anything close to 85C when it shuts down at 85C.
or
B. Is it just really really warm to the touch and you can keep your finger on the Northbridge without recoiling from the heat even while your sensor is reporting an 80 or 85C temperature?

Which is it?

RockingSock

Post by RockingSock » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:48 pm

When I touch it, it feels pretty hot. It's where the most heat comes out. That exact spot where the graphic card and north bridge meet is where I can feel the most heat being released. If I kept my finger on it for 2 seconds or more, I would be able to burn my finger :O. Could it be the North Bridge? I've noticed my card also goes to 70C+ now on idle. I remember back then it was 60C constant on idle.

ces

Post by ces » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:10 pm

RockingSock wrote:When I touch it, it feels pretty hot. It's where the most heat comes out. That exact spot where the graphic card and north bridge meet is where I can feel the most heat being released. If I kept my finger on it for 2 seconds or more, I would be able to burn my finger :O. Could it be the North Bridge? I've noticed my card also goes to 70C+ now on idle. I remember back then it was 60C constant on idle.
It must be your northbridge. A card at 60C or 79C isn't that extraordinary... then again you aren't stressing it so???

I forget, is it still possible to RMA the board? No matter what the cause, your board shouldn't be shutting down on you like this if you aren't stressing it. I think you just have a bad Northbridge chip.

RockingSock

Post by RockingSock » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:49 pm

So what do you recommend me doing?

ces

Post by ces » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:28 pm

If the northbridge is in fact bad, I don't believe it is practical for you to replace it. You may need a new motherboard.

If you can RMA it, or return it for exchange under warranty I think you should. You probably have a 1 to 3 year warranty.

I think you said you took it into a shop for repairs and they said they didn't see any problem. Do you have any idea why it wasn't shutting down for them, but it is shutting down for you?

Before you take any action or make any decisions, I think you should get a few more opinions from others here. I am not personally that experienced with diagnosing and repairing motherboards. I would like to see someone with more experience than I have confirm or correct my diagnosis of your problem.

RockingSock

Post by RockingSock » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:47 pm

It did shut down for them also but they don't know the problem. I really don't know what to do. D:

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:11 pm

I think that I have found your system after doing some searching.

Its the same case, I am pretty sure its the same mobo, and if you look at the photo's in the second link, its the same CPU heatsink/fan, and finally seems to also be the same HDD.

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=83046

http://www.techpowerup.com/index.php?80615

Different case fan, and different Graphics Card, but otherwise the same.

That motherboard has the smallest NB heatsink that I have seen on an X58, and also look at the placement of the SB, right next to the graphics card, as there is no front fan, and no serious cooling on the NB it could be either of them, or something else totally, however I strongly suspect the NB chip is overheating.

Can you confirm that the motherboard in your machine is the one that is in the links please. If so then in at least one case it has been seen with a FAN on the NB heatsink.

http://www.aicuxiao.com/taobao/goodsvie ... 59124.html

As it has been spotted with a fan on the NB i would suggest unscrewing the case fan, and put it in a position so that it can blow air straight onto the NB heatsink, fire it up, and see what that temp says.

FYI Acer own Gateway.

It has a Gateway FX case, black and orange along the lines of this.

http://www.slashgear.com/gateway-fx6800 ... g-2035216/

Note the case fan is 120mm, and yours is 80 or 92.

Did you buy this second hand by any chance.?

Andy

ces

Post by ces » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:56 pm

andyb wrote:That motherboard has the smallest NB heatsink that I have seen on an X58, and also look at the placement of the SB, right next to the graphics card, as there is no front fan, and no serious cooling on the NB it could be either of them, or something else totally, however I strongly suspect the NB chip is overheating.
If it is a design problem then replacing your motherboard won't help.

But one of these on your Northbridge will though:
http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?cat_id=8
You can run them without a fan, or add an 80mm fan (the Kamaflex 80mm fans are, in my opinion the best 80mm fans... I would get the slowest model). Black silent has some good 80mm fans too, though I haven't tried that size from them.

Seems to me you would be better off with a different model motherboard, but that may or may not be practical. But even with a heat sink and a fan, it seems like that chip is going to have a short life running so hot. I have an 1156 board running a 650 chip, and the northbridge runs about 40 to 45C.

RockingSock

Post by RockingSock » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:52 am

Yup, that's my exact mobo. Everything inside the case is what it came with. I did not change anything or swap anything out. My pc is a Gateway FX 6800-03h.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:40 am

Yup, that's my exact mobo. Everything inside the case is what it came with. I did not change anything or swap anything out. My pc is a Gateway FX 6800-03h.
Cool, try using the case fan to cool the NB heatsink, and let us know the result.

Andy

RockingSock

Post by RockingSock » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:48 pm

I applied thermal compound to the NB and the pc doesn't boot. It booted up the first time, over heated. Now it doesn't even want to turn on. All I hear is this loud beep. What did I do :(? -NEVER MIND, FIXED IT-

EDIT: Some of the thermal compound went off course. Any ways, I got the BSoD while using the computer. I've noticed something weird also. I touched the north bridge heat sink and it was hot. I took it off, poked the north bridge and it wasn't even close to being hot. It wasn't even hot.

RockingSock

Post by RockingSock » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:25 pm

I've noticed something funny. Aren't heat sinks supposed to prevent overheating? My NB heat sink is causing the overheating. After taking it off, my pc didn't seem to overheat. So what does this mean? Heat sinks are a lie? :O HW monitor reported 17C and 0C temperatures :S.

I really don't know what the problem is still.. but thats sorta weird.