Confused about P-States

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

doveman

Confused about P-States

Post by doveman » Sat May 14, 2011 5:56 pm

Now, I know enough about P-States to set them up, what's confusing me is I don't know what method I should be using under Win7 64-bit (with my X4 630) so that my gaming isn't adversely affected.

I get the impression that PhenomMsrTweaker was developed to overcome some limitation in this regard with Cool n Quiet, but I'm not sure.

So, should I disable Cool n Quiet in the BIOS firstly? Then, do I want to use Win7's Balanced Power mode, with it's 5% minimum and 100% maximum settings, or do I need to do something with PMR as well?

Damn, this business gets confusing :?

Petr

Re: Confused about P-States

Post by Petr » Thu May 26, 2011 11:33 am

Leave everything as is. PhenomMsrTweaker is used to change P-States parameters. Just set new values (new frequency and voltage combinations) and the OS will do the rest. It is very simple.

Post by 1337 » Fri May 27, 2011 10:24 am

Undervolting the thing in bios usually suffices for me. This can be useful under certain circumstances though. Had anybody made an in-depth research in this field? ;-)

Petr

Post by Petr » Fri May 27, 2011 1:38 pm

There is no reason for BIOS undervolting when you have control of P-States.

doveman

Post by doveman » Sat May 28, 2011 12:34 am

Petr wrote:Leave everything as is. PhenomMsrTweaker is used to change P-States parameters. Just set new values (new frequency and voltage combinations) and the OS will do the rest. It is very simple.
Sorry, but "leave everything as is" doesn't really help as you don't know how my system is already. Should Cool'n'Quiet be enabled or disabled in the BIOS? Should the two tickboxes on the Service screen be ticked, and if so I presume CnQ SHOULD be disabled in the BIOS as it says so on that screen! What do those tickboxes do, maybe I only need to tick the top one? See, there's lots of questions that I need answers to if I'm to be confident I'm using PMT properly. :wink:

On the homepage http://phenommsrtweake.sourceforge.net/ it says "These 2 disadvantages are remedied by using the PhenomMsrTweaker service. It allows to automatically apply custom P-state settings when Windows is starting/resuming and to use a configurable C&Q replacement which uses only P0 and P1 and keeps all cores' P-state in sync.", so I would assume I would want to enable the Service (which presumably is done by ticking the two boxes on the Service screen and disabling CnQ in the BIOS as instructed), but I don't know for sure at the moment.

Petr

Post by Petr » Sat May 28, 2011 12:42 am

Leave CnC enabled and just change P-States. The Windows will do the rest.

Post by 1337 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:09 am

Petr wrote:There is no reason for BIOS undervolting when you have control of P-States.
PhenomMsrTweaker is software driven. That's not the explanation I was hoping for. But thanks anyway :)

doveman

Post by doveman » Sun May 29, 2011 3:47 am

Petr wrote:Leave CnC enabled and just change P-States. The Windows will do the rest.
But surely if I do that I won't get the advantages from the PMT service, as described on the homepage?