Is there a mATX AM3(+) board with 3 or more PWM headers?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fire-Flare

Is there a mATX AM3(+) board with 3 or more PWM headers?

Post by Fire-Flare » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi. As topic says, I'm looking for a smaller board with plenty of fan control.

Most I've been able to find is 2 PWM headers. I'd really like to avoid a 5.25 bay controller if I can, thanks.

Abula

Re: Is there a mATX AM3(+) board with 3 or more PWM headers?

Post by Abula » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:40 pm

As an alternative you can use Akasa PWM Splitter - Smart Fan Cable (AK-CB002) you can control 3 fans with a single mobo 4pin pwn connector, all fans will have the same rpm as the mobo sets for that single PWM connector, power should be drawn from the PSU 4pin molex, its a cheap way in case you like certain mobo. There is even a 5x PWM fan connector (that i havent seen yet hit retail) FLEXA FP5.

Image Image

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:25 pm

Abula wrote:As an alternative you can use Akasa PWM Splitter - Smart Fan Cable (AK-CB002) you can control 3 fans with a single mobo 4pin pwn connector, all fans will have the same rpm as the mobo sets for that single PWM connector, power should be drawn from the PSU 4pin molex, its a cheap way in case you like certain mobo. There is even a 5x PWM fan connector (that i havent seen yet hit retail) FLEXA FP5.
Thank you, but my goal is to have all the fans run independently.

mttcrlsn

Post by mttcrlsn » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:50 pm

Assuming you are going for the 1155 socket how about the Asus Gene IV

Zolishoru

Post by Zolishoru » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:18 pm

mttcrlsn wrote:Assuming you are going for the 1155 socket how about the Asus Gene IV
Topic: Is there a mATX AM3(+) board with 3 or more PWM headers?

Abula

Post by Abula » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:51 pm

I dont know much about the new mobos from AMD, the only one that i seen with multiple PWM heather (most that i seen are only have 2x4pin and the rest 3pin), is the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard, but its not micro atx, in case you are interested on it, check the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard Overview (AMD Bulldozer) | JJ's Corner, also a review in case you want to read more, Guru3d ASUS Sabertooth 990FX review. I think it comes with 5x 4pin pwm heathers and 1x3pin (better crosscheck it) here is the boards layout,

What im not sure is if all are controlled independently, you can see some in the video i posted above, but i didnt catch all fans options in bios.

Now if you do need a Micro ATX mobo, and you dont want to use the cables, and willing to consider Asus/Intel, then the option posted by mttcrlsn, might be worth a look, ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard. The mobo in appearance has 4x pwm 4pin heathers, check Official ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z Motherboard Unboxing if you are patient and stop the video when he is showing the mobo you might catch the fan heathers. There is also a nice review, Guru3d ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z review.

Here is the best pic i could find, check if you can see if all are 4pin,

What im not sure, is if all fans are controlled or tweakble thru the bios, in the Guru3d they show some pics of the bios, but they dont show it deep enough to see if there are independant controls for each heather, i would asume so, if not why bothering with 4pin heathers, but im not sure either.

Either way good luck with your choice,

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:49 am

Abula wrote:I dont know much about the new mobos from AMD, the only one that i seen with multiple PWM heather (most that i seen are only have 2x4pin and the rest 3pin), is the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard, but its not micro atx, in case you are interested on it, check the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard Overview (AMD Bulldozer) | JJ's Corner, also a review in case you want to read more, Guru3d ASUS Sabertooth 990FX review. I think it comes with 5x 4pin pwm heathers and 1x3pin (better crosscheck it) here is the boards layout,

What im not sure is if all are controlled independently, you can see some in the video i posted above, but i didnt catch all fans options in bios.

Now if you do need a Micro ATX mobo, and you dont want to use the cables, and willing to consider Asus/Intel, then the option posted by mttcrlsn, might be worth a look, ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard. The mobo in appearance has 4x pwm 4pin heathers, check Official ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z Motherboard Unboxing if you are patient and stop the video when he is showing the mobo you might catch the fan heathers. There is also a nice review, Guru3d ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z review.

Here is the best pic i could find, check if you can see if all are 4pin,

What im not sure, is if all fans are controlled or tweakble thru the bios, in the Guru3d they show some pics of the bios, but they dont show it deep enough to see if there are independant controls for each heather, i would asume so, if not why bothering with 4pin heathers, but im not sure either.

Either way good luck with your choice,
Asus is the only company that I've seen put more than two PWM headers on a board. Their AMD 'Republic of Gamers' boards all have them and solve the issue of whether or not the chassis fans are linked to the same sensor by letting you use thermal probes. The Sabertooth is basically the Crosshair V Formula without the probe option and you can't use another PC to tweak the BIOS while it's running.

I'd buy the Gene in a heartbeat if Intel's gaming processors were cheaper.