LGA1155 mobos & Ivy Bridge (new CPU's and PCIe 3.0)

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

LGA1155 mobos & Ivy Bridge (new CPU's and PCIe 3.0)

Post by shleepy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:17 pm

It looks like motherboard manufacturers have started (in August, if not earlier) their marketing initiatives for claiming that their boards will be compatible with next-generation hardware, in the form of Ivy Bridge CPU's and PCI-Express 3.0:
Here's the Asus anouncement...
And here's Gigabyte's.
Tom's Hardware had an article about Ivy Bridge's compatibility with current motherboards, as well.

But do these compatibility claims come with any caveats?

Assuming that I'd just be running one discrete video card (and may want to upgrade the CPU and video card in the relatively future, when PCIe 3.0 x16 might actually be useful), what would be the benefit of waiting for next-generation motherboard chipsets, as opposed to getting an H67 or Z68 board today? Based on the product roadmap (e.g., as described by Anandtech), the only practical improvement that I see is the native USB3 support. I can't imagine needing more than 2 of such ports in the foreseeable future, though, and most current LGA 1155 boards come with a couple, already. Perhaps there are other features that are improved, as well - support for faster RAM, more efficient power management, etc... But haven't those mostly moved to the CPU, itself?

Abula

Re: LGA1155 mobos & Ivy Bridge (new CPU's and PCIe 3.0)

Post by Abula » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:13 pm

What i really want to see is new GPUs... maybe they will come PCIe 3.0. Either way seems its the time that all manufactures will adopt and release their mobos with.

shleepy
Friend of SPCR

Post by shleepy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:21 pm

Abula wrote:What i really want to see is new GPUs... maybe they will come PCIe 3.0. Either way seems its the time that all manufactures will adopt and release their mobos with.
I'm sure a lot of them will be "PCIe 3.0 compliant" or what have you, but I very much doubt that any of them will really take advantage of all that bandwidth. Are the current top dual-chip cards even coming too close to the bandwidth limits of PCIe 2.0?

Post by 1337 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:36 am

Abula wrote:What i really want to see is new GPUs... maybe they will come PCIe 3.0. Either way seems its the time that all manufactures will adopt and release their mobos with.
New powerful GPUs won't be out before Summer 2012. You still have some time... then ;)

Abula

Post by Abula » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:41 am

1337 wrote:
New powerful GPUs won't be out before Summer 2012. You still have some time... then ;)
Thanks for the headsup, there are rummor of AMD releasing early 2012 though, i think Nvidia is going to release between march and june 2012, personally i would love to see Ivy Bridge and Nvidia GPU be release close together so they temp me.... :)

Post by 1337 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:26 am

Abula wrote:
1337 wrote:
Thanks for the headsup, there are rummor of AMD releasing early 2012 though,
It won't be the powerful range though. The new tech based on XDR memory will come out later.
Abula wrote:
1337 wrote:
Abula wrote: i think Nvidia is going to release between march and june 2012, personally i would love to see Ivy Bridge and Nvidia GPU be release close together so they temp me.... :)
Me too. The 22/32nm tech looks very promising. Especially, performance per watt wise. Worth the wait IMO.