Anyone try the GA-Z170X-GAMING G1 with a Scythe Ninja 4?

All about them.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

boe

Anyone try the GA-Z170X-GAMING G1 with a Scythe Ninja 4?

Post by boe » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:05 pm

I'd like to make sure it clears the video card as well as the memory.
Last edited by boe on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

quest_for_silence

Re: Anyone try the GA-Z170X-GAMING G1 with a Noctua NH-D15s?

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:37 am

boe wrote:I'd like to make sure it clears the video card
It mostly depends of the video card: the presence of a metal backplate, somehow bended heatpipes, or a full cover waterblock may affect the - tight - fit on the 1st slot.

IMO, if you don't need 4 video cards, there are more compatible designs around (I mean, the mobos with PCIE x1 as 1-st slot).

boe

Re: Anyone try the GA-Z170X-GAMING G1 with a Noctua NH-D15s?

Post by boe » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:51 am

I do need all the slots - I'm putting in a 8x raid and an 8x nic. I'm hoping they start to sell it at amazon or some place with free shipping.

For now the video card I'll be using will just be my old 780 gtx w/ ac cooling - waiting until next year to replace with the next model not yet released.

Abula

Re: Anyone try the GA-Z170X-GAMING G1 with a Scythe Ninja 4?

Post by Abula » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:36 am

On standard motherboards (normal CPU socket placement) usually it will clear the first PCIe slot as long as the coolers width is 140mm or below, this has been my experience on my TJ08-E (micro ATX case) with multiple micro atx motherboards, that usually have the 16x PCIe slot on the first pcie slot. The ninja has 130mm from what i can tell on the specs, so if the GA-Z170X Gaming G1 has a standard socket and the measurements provided by scythe are also accurate and it doesn't have a huge backpalate or screws coming in the back, then i think it should be fine.

Last edited by Abula on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

boe

Post by boe » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:38 am

Abula wrote:On standard motherboards (normal CPU socket placement) usually it will clear the first PCIe slot as long as the coolers width is 140mm or below, this has been my experience on my TJ08-E (micro ATX case) with multiple micro atx motherboards, that usually have the 16x PCIe slot on the first pcie slot. The ninja has 135mm from what i can tell on the specs, so if the GA-Z170X Gaming G1 has a standard socket and the measurements provided by scythe are also accurate and it doesn't have a huge backpalate or screws coming in the back, then i think it should be fine.
Thanks I was originally looking at the Noctua but I noticed the Scythe gave me 5mm more of clearance.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:46 am

boe wrote:
Abula wrote:On standard motherboards (normal CPU socket placement) usually it will clear the first PCIe slot as long as the coolers width is 140mm or below, this has been my experience on my TJ08-E (micro ATX case) with multiple micro atx motherboards, that usually have the 16x PCIe slot on the first pcie slot. The ninja has 135mm from what i can tell on the specs, so if the GA-Z170X Gaming G1 has a standard socket and the measurements provided by scythe are also accurate and it doesn't have a huge backpalate or screws coming in the back, then i think it should be fine.
Thanks I was originally looking at the Noctua but I noticed the Scythe gave me 5mm more of clearance.
If you wish to go with noctua, look into the S models, the newer revisions were done to have enough clearance for the first PCIe slot, thats if the motherboard has the standard socket placement, kinda like thermalright Silver Arrow that its also asymetrical which makes the widest part be oposite to the gpu and leave the 70mm side (from center to side) to the side of the GPU.

Do you mind me asking why going for that motherboard is extremely expensive, given that has some nice addons like the Creative Sound card, you will still have less spent going with the seperate sound card. If you are spending that high on the motherboard consider the X99.

boe

Post by boe » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:49 am

Abula wrote:
boe wrote:
Abula wrote:On standard motherboards (normal CPU socket placement)

Do you mind me asking why going for that motherboard is extremely expensive, given that has some nice addons like the Creative Sound card, you will still have less spent going with the seperate sound card. If you are spending that high on the motherboard consider the X99.
Initially I'm putting in a dual port 10g connection 8x for my 2 backup system, an LSI (if they come out with a new one) or Adaptec 24 controller 8x, I'll put my old 780 video card 16x in until next year. I want at least 1 high lane slot free in case I SLI or add another controller. They Scythe Ninja 4 is 5mm slimmer than the Noctua 15s.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:07 am

With that much I/O you may be better off with the X99 platform. It's my understanding that the Z170X G1 uses a PLX bridge to convert 16 PCI-E 3.0 lanes from the CPU to 32 PCI-E 3.0 lanes spread across the four PCI-E slots. I think that means your PCI-E cards will still only have a combined 16 lanes of bandwidth. That might be enough for what you intend, but you could have a true 28/40 lanes with a X99 + Haswell-E system, and not worry about bus contention.

I apologize if you're already aware of this and are nevertheless committed to Skylake. :)

boe

Post by boe » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:45 am

SometimesWarrior wrote:With that much I/O you may be better off with the X99 platform. It's my understanding that the Z170X G1 uses a PLX bridge to convert 16 PCI-E 3.0 lanes from the CPU to 32 PCI-E 3.0 lanes spread across the four PCI-E slots. I think that means your PCI-E cards will still only have a combined 16 lanes of bandwidth. That might be enough for what you intend, but you could have a true 28/40 lanes with a X99 + Haswell-E system, and not worry about bus contention.

I apologize if you're already aware of this and are nevertheless committed to Skylake. :)
Thanks - there is ALWAYS something new for me to learn. I think I'll be good. When I'm doing a backup of the many TB on the system, my 10G card and my RAID controller will be using a portion of the 20 lanes but in reality I doubt I'll be using much video processing bandwidth as I doubt I'll be playing video games. I might be misunderstanding but I don't think you fully engage all bandwidth a card CAN use when it is present unless it is really using the bandwidth.