nimo11

ask for a recommendation to a MOBO

Post by nimo11 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:39 am

building new desktop.
the cpu will be i7 8700.
2x8 gb ram.
ssd Samsung evo960 + hhd for storage.
air cooling.
probably one of the mid tower cases and around 550-600 w power supllty.
not sure yet about GPU will try first work with the one onboard.
i have 4 k monitor.
not planning O.C .
looking for a mobo that will have nice performance, reliability and good heat spreading efficiency.
sound is also important to me .
saw some with on board wifii which is nuie but ntr must.
like this one .
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/TUF-H ... fications/

p.s
will i get some advantages in the z370 chips over the h370 ,even that i'm not planning o.c?
things like heat efficiency or something else?

lodestar

Re: ask for a recommendation to a MOBO

Post by lodestar » Thu May 31, 2018 6:20 am

Based on this review of the audio quality of 17 Z370 motherboards the Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming might fill the bill. It features 802.11ac Wi-Fi and all the usual features you would expect from a board of this specification.

The main issue with an alternative such as the Asus TUF H370-Pro Gaming is that it is fitted with the Realtek ALC887 sound chip which will not produce as good audio quality as the one fitted to the ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming. There is a big difference in price between the two, in the UK the H370-Pro Gaming is about £70 cheaper than the Z370-E Gaming. You could consider buying the H370 and spending the difference on a separate sound card, or even a bit more than that depending on how important audio is to you.

The main Z370 v H370 differences are no CPU overclocking, no memory overclocking and fewer PCI-Express lanes. So potentially a lower performance platform unless you don't plan to use or need any of these things. If you were to run an 8700 on both H370 and Z370 without using overclocking the CPU or the memory I would expect the performance to be about the same. The only potential issue is that Asus Z370 boards use multicore enhancement. What this does is to change the CPU turbo modes so that all cores turbo at the maximum setting. For example, the normal maximum turbo frequency for the 8700 for all cores is 4.3Ghz, and for one core it is 4.6Ghz. Asus multicore enhancement is on in the BIOS by default, and it runs all cores at 4.6Ghz. It also slightly increases the CPU voltage to achieve this. The result is a form of automatic mild overclocking for non-K model CPUs. I suspect but can't confirm than Asus multicore enhancement is highly likely to be present on any board with 'Gaming' in its name including the H370 models.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu May 31, 2018 7:12 am

nimo11 wrote:sound is also important to me
Then go with dedicated soundcard, to me all integrated are trash, even 1220, i tried 4x Z370 boards and all have noise that my amp makes worse, if you are using computer speakers then you might be fine, but anything high end integrated is pure trash. As a suggestion almost any DAC would give you significant improvement over the integrated sound card.
nimo11 wrote:not sure yet about GPU will try first work with the one onboard.
i have 4 k monitor.
I would suggest to look for motherboards that have HDMI and specially displayport, those two will be the standards that will remain for years to come and the only ones that support 4k60.
nimo11 wrote:will i get some advantages in the z370 chips over the h370 ,even that i'm not planning o.c?
things like heat efficiency or something else?
The only advantage on z370 is that the bios are more mature, H370 are still very new and have some extra intel native stuff.

My recommendation is ASRock Z370 Taichi, has intel dual lans, wifi, and comes with displayport and hdmi as the outs for igpu, very good bios fan control, if you wish to read more check TweakTown ASRock Z370 Taichi Motherboard Review and TechPowerUp ASRock Z370 Taichi Review

Now if you wish to go with H370 and were willing not to have WIFI or use an addon card, i would recommend to check MSI H370 GAMING PRO CARBON, seems a very well rounded motherboard, with HDMI and DP outs, Intel Lan, very good bios fan control with switchable headers.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:21 am

i will check the two of them carefully later.
the first thing that came to my eyes on the Z370 Taichi is the limitation of wifi speed.
"Supports high speed wireless connections up to 433Mbps".
i read it also on the gigabyte gaming 5 as someone wrote about it:
"While the WIFI card is Wireless-AC, it's also an Intel Wireless-AC 3165 controller, meaning it's a 1x1, or 433Mbps controller, instead of a 2x2 867Mbps controller"

"With the whole WiFi thing, it depends on your internet connection speed at home, as the gaming 5 only comes with 1x1 adapter, which is good for up to 433mbps link rate"

maybe i wrong about this issue but i didn't red it on some of the asus mobo's.
i'll be glad if someone can clarify it to me.

i'm using the sound output from my pc to my stereo system.

what is the meaning of this, is it good/bad? :
"have some extra intel native stuff. "

what is the advantage of "intel dual lans".
don't all boards have it?

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:49 am

"The main Z370 v H370 differences are no CPU overclocking, no memory overclocking and fewer PCI-Express lanes. So potentially a lower performance platform unless you don't plan to use or need any of these things. If you were to run an 8700 on both H370 and Z370 without using overclocking the CPU or the memory I would expect the performance to be about the same. The only potential issue is that Asus Z370 boards use multicore enhancement. What this does is to change the CPU turbo modes so that all cores turbo at the maximum setting. For example, the normal maximum turbo frequency for the 8700 for all cores is 4.3Ghz, and for one core it is 4.6Ghz. Asus multicore enhancement is on in the BIOS by default, and it runs all cores at 4.6Ghz. It also slightly increases the CPU voltage to achieve this. The result is a form of automatic mild overclocking for non-K model CPUs. I suspect but can't confirm than Asus multicore enhancement is highly likely to be present on any board with 'Gaming' in its name including the H370 models."[quote][/quote]

i must confess that i didn't understand exactly the above.
is the bad thing from it is this will use more voltage then necessary and make will rise the heat?
it might be that at the end i'll use the K version of the cpu, will it make a difference ?

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:59 am

TechPowerUp ASRock Z370 Taichi Review

Now if you wish to go with H370 and were willing not to have WIFI or use an addon card, i would recommend to check MSI H370 GAMING PRO CARBON, seems a very well rounded motherboard, with HDMI and DP outs, Intel Lan, very good bios fan control with switchable headers.[/quote]

and if i prefer a build in wifi and planning to add separate sound card, internal or external , which board do you recommend?
do you thunk that the Z370 boards are superior to the H370 ?
as i said . i'm not planning to o.c at all.

Joshstarc

Post by Joshstarc » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:07 am

Now if you want a motherboard in 2021 then you must go with B550 or x570.because these motherboards have fast speed option for GPU which is PCIe 4.0 slot.So it is my recommendations to go with B550 or x570 and if you have budget and also want a premium setup then always go with x570.