Audio System Mods, Repairs & Maintenance

Chat room for MikeC's Audio Craft, music & sound reproduction, streaming, audio PC, etc.
NeilBlanchard

Audio System Mods, Repairs & Maintenance

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:12 am

Hi,

I have a question about cleaning pots and switches in audio equipment: over time they corrode and cause noise and/or intermittent dropout. My Audible Illusions Modulus 2C had the left channel on the line input sporadically dropping out and causing lots of scratchy noises, and I managed to get it working (better) simply by toggling it on and off multiple times. Is the best method just to spray contact cleaner in the switch, or maybe get some conductive grease on the contacts? I will take a look at it to see if the latter is even possible.

Also, on my office / computer stereo, the Denon receiver has a variable loudness control that is very intermittent, and I already tried to spray clean it a while back. I think this one will require soldering a jumper on each channel to bypass the pot's wiper contacts, and run it "flat" - which is how I prefer it anyway.

maalitehdas

Re: Audio System Mods, Repairs & Maintenance

Post by maalitehdas » Sun May 15, 2016 12:30 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:I have a question about cleaning pots and switches in audio equipment
Toothpaste or coca-cola are great stuff to remove corrosion both for silver, copper and golden surfaces. (I'm not sure if it works for coal surfaces used on some variable switches in older amps, but worth a try as well). How you might get the paste to the surfaces is up to you, but after you get it there you only need to turn the switch for a few times.
NeilBlanchard wrote:...or maybe get some conductive grease on the contacts?
After the cleaning you could actually use some grease to protect them from future corrosion. The paste also removes all the existing grease possibly there, so the surface is left "fragile" for oxygen to attack again.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun May 15, 2016 6:27 pm

Thanks for the tips; I appreciate it.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Sun May 15, 2016 10:46 pm

maalitehdas wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:...or maybe get some conductive grease on the contacts?
After the cleaning you could actually use some grease to protect them from future corrosion. The paste also removes all the existing grease possibly there, so the surface is left "fragile" for oxygen to attack again.

I don't know what yo mean for "grease", but oily products can be counter productive on potentiometers.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Mon May 16, 2016 1:03 am

I used electronic cleaner spray with great success on the volume pot on my cheap kitchen radio. That stuff is supposed to evaporate. I would hesitate to use something that leaves grease behind.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed May 18, 2016 3:03 am

What about something like this?

tdot

Post by tdot » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:49 pm

I've always liked the DeoxIT sprays. DeoxIT F-series was designed for faders but works equally well for pots. DeoxIT D-series works well for contacts/switches and is also recommended for use in pots.