What's up with the Swedish fish?

Like something? Don't like something? Don't see something? Here's the place to provide feedback about the SilentPCReview.com site. User feedback is very important to us -- we really do read the posts in this forum.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Edward Ng

Post Reply
NeilBlanchard
Moderator
Posts: 7680
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:11 pm
Location: Maynard, MA, Eaarth
Contact:

What's up with the Swedish fish?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:22 pm

Image

I don't geddit...
Sincerely, Neil
http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

datapappan
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:44 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by datapappan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:14 pm

Cool, where did you get that? Are the different from the ones that have U.S.A. on them?

/ d, close to a Swedish fish pond
[size=75][CPU: 2.4 GHz P4 Northwood w. AC Freezer 4 (fanless-Bluefront PSU mod inspired) / MB: ABIT VT7 (Via PT880) / GPU: ATI Radeon X800XL w Zalman ZM80D-HP / HDD: Seagate Barracuda IV SATA 80GB / CD: Samsung CD-DVD combo / Seahawk ALU Case / PSU: FSP 350-THN (fan mod-Everflow connected to CPU fan header)[/size]

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer
Posts: 8636
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:33 am
Location: Sunny SoCal

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:08 am

Image
Main Box: Intel i3-3225, Intel DH77EB, 16GB Corsair RAM, 256GB Samsung 830, SS360GP PSU, CM PS07 case.
Music Server: Intel DH77EB + i3-3220, 2xSamsung 2TB F4, Pico PSU, Fractal Define Mini, 2xScythe Fans @250 rpm.

CA_Steve
Moderator
Posts: 7431
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:36 am
Location: Monterey Bay, CA

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:35 am

For a true sammich, that rabbit needs another pancake.
1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, Asrock Z97 Anniversary, MSI GTX 1660 Gaming X, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung 860 Evo 500GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic SSR-550FX. 35W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)

frenchie
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:53 am
Location: CT

Post by frenchie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:55 am

Or just throw it in the oven with some mushrooms and cream, or plums and wine, and you'll have an upside down rabbit (pan) cake :)

What are those fish anyways ? Gummy bears proud of their countries wanting to be fish ?
Main/gamming : Antec Solo|X-650|Asus P5Q-E|Intel Q9550@3.4GHz|HR-01 Plus 120mm Nexus @6V|Corsair 2x2Go XMS2 DHX cas 4 @4-4-4-12|Exhaust Nexus 120mm @9V|Intel X25M G2 160Gb|Samsung 1TB in SQD|2xGigabyte GTS450 OC (@900/1900/3800)|GPU fan 120mm Nexus @6V
HTPC/folder/Storage : Silverstone|E5300 with Samurai-Z|2Go RAM|GTX460@800|2x1To WD EARS|Intel X25M G2 80Go

Fold with SPCR

NeilBlanchard
Moderator
Posts: 7680
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:11 pm
Location: Maynard, MA, Eaarth
Contact:

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:20 am

Are none of you seeing that Swedish fish in some of the ads here on SPCR? It's a plain ad with no text, and no discernible reason/product being advertised?
Sincerely, Neil
http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

frenchie
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:53 am
Location: CT

Post by frenchie » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:18 am

Nope : amazon, Antec, HP, endpcnoise, the usual
Main/gamming : Antec Solo|X-650|Asus P5Q-E|Intel Q9550@3.4GHz|HR-01 Plus 120mm Nexus @6V|Corsair 2x2Go XMS2 DHX cas 4 @4-4-4-12|Exhaust Nexus 120mm @9V|Intel X25M G2 160Gb|Samsung 1TB in SQD|2xGigabyte GTS450 OC (@900/1900/3800)|GPU fan 120mm Nexus @6V
HTPC/folder/Storage : Silverstone|E5300 with Samurai-Z|2Go RAM|GTX460@800|2x1To WD EARS|Intel X25M G2 80Go

Fold with SPCR

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: New York City zzzz
Contact:

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:02 am

I am a fan of Swedish Fish. I dont get them around near me at all. Yum. Much different than a gummy bear.

I havent seen any ads for swedish fish on here. I think I would have clicked that. hm.

wheres a good candy store hm

andymcca
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:19 am
Location: Boston, MA, USA

hmm

Post by andymcca » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:13 am

I saw billboard in cambridge MA which I have been unable to understand:

On a field of white, 10+ swedish fish are positioned facing the center of the billboard. In the center, the words "AN UNFORTUNATE AFFECTION".

I'm not sure why swedish fish are suddenly part of an ad campaign. That's like advertising gummy-bears or marshmallows.
Currently running Mint 14 MATE on all machines.
Desktop/Gaming: E8400 / 650ti + Accelero S1 / Antec Solo
Myth Backend + Home Server: D945GSEJT / WD15EADS / Hauppage 950Q / Home made case
Myth Frontend + HTPC: Sempron 140 / Asus M4A785-M
Notebook:AMD A4-3300M

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: New York City zzzz
Contact:

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:49 am

What?

I duno what you are talking about. Who keeps seeing swedish fish??

confused.

Image

N7SC
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:14 am

Don't know anything about Swedish fish, but we LOVE our Swedish dishwasher and our Volvos.

If the fish are of as high a quality as Asko appliances and Volvo cars, I'll try some. Where do you get them in Florida?
[size=75]The Dog philosophy is the best:
Eat, Sleep, Play, Love.[/size]

cottageaurora
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:00 pm
Location: cambridge

swedish fish

Post by cottageaurora » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:03 pm

I have been puzzled by that billboard for weeks now. so glad someone else is, too
how can we find out what it is all about?

datapappan
Posts: 199
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:44 pm
Location: Sweden

Post by datapappan » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:59 pm

You can find these here in Sweden, they're delicious!
Image

/d

PS Jelly rats
[size=75][CPU: 2.4 GHz P4 Northwood w. AC Freezer 4 (fanless-Bluefront PSU mod inspired) / MB: ABIT VT7 (Via PT880) / GPU: ATI Radeon X800XL w Zalman ZM80D-HP / HDD: Seagate Barracuda IV SATA 80GB / CD: Samsung CD-DVD combo / Seahawk ALU Case / PSU: FSP 350-THN (fan mod-Everflow connected to CPU fan header)[/size]

NeilBlanchard
Moderator
Posts: 7680
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:11 pm
Location: Maynard, MA, Eaarth
Contact:

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:43 pm

The image I posted at the beginning of this thread is all you seen and all you get when you click on it... My wife informs me that I *should* know about Swedish fish; but I am ignorant of them. Nor do I really care.

It 's an odd advertisement if it only works for people who already know about them? :roll:
Sincerely, Neil
http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: New York City zzzz
Contact:

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:01 pm

OMGOSH

swedish fish = rocks the candy party

If you ever liked a jelly bean or a gummi bear, you'll enjoy a swedish fish. Interesting to note that they do not use Gelatin. Makes them different.

uh oh and yeah you can do this:


Image

and stuff

Redzo
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:51 am
Location: Sweden, Stockholm

Post by Redzo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:16 am

NeilBlanchard wrote:The image I posted at the beginning of this thread is all you seen and all you get when you click on it... My wife informs me that I *should* know about Swedish fish; but I am ignorant of them. Nor do I really care.

It 's an odd advertisement if it only works for people who already know about them? :roll:
Don't feel bad Neil, I live in Sweden and I still don't have a clue about this advertising or what it's about :lol:

Tobias
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:52 am

Post by Tobias » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:24 am

Redzo wrote:
NeilBlanchard wrote:The image I posted at the beginning of this thread is all you seen and all you get when you click on it... My wife informs me that I *should* know about Swedish fish; but I am ignorant of them. Nor do I really care.

It 's an odd advertisement if it only works for people who already know about them? :roll:
Don't feel bad Neil, I live in Sweden and I still don't have a clue about this advertising or what it's about :lol:
Come on, you gotta know about Malaco's fish? There is even a special for 'em at IKEA! (For some odd reason!)

Redzo
Posts: 464
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:51 am
Location: Sweden, Stockholm

Post by Redzo » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:33 am

now I had that "AHA" moment :lol:

it's just that i really don eat candy, i dont like it so much.

N7SC
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:22 pm
Location: Sunny Florida, where dead people vote 3 times in a county they never even lived in!

Post by N7SC » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:20 am

~El~Jefe~ wrote:I am a fan of Swedish Fish. I dont get them around near me at all. Yum. Much different than a gummy bear.

I havent seen any ads for swedish fish on here. I think I would have clicked that. hm.

wheres a good candy store hm
Yesterday afternoon, my daughter who works in a Factory Card and Party Outlet (FCO) store saw this thread over my shoulder. She says that FCO carries them. In fact she was eating some yesterday morning. Also, Party City (PC) stores have bought FCO, and are in the process of changing the FCO stores over to PC. As the merchandise has started changing at her FCO, they simply changed the type of selection of Swedish fish they carry, but still carry them.

So, search for a FCO or Party City near where you are, and you should have a local supply of Swedish fish.

She was sufficiently intrigued by the Jelly Rats that I think she will talk to the General Manager of the store, and maybe the District Manager and see if they might try carrying them too.
[size=75]The Dog philosophy is the best:
Eat, Sleep, Play, Love.[/size]

andymcca
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:19 am
Location: Boston, MA, USA

Re: swedish fish

Post by andymcca » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:32 am

cottageaurora wrote:I have been puzzled by that billboard for weeks now. so glad someone else is, too
how can we find out what it is all about?
I'm not sure we ever will. :(

Positing theories was fun for an hour or two, though. My #1 choice was a non-english-speaking ad agency.
Currently running Mint 14 MATE on all machines.
Desktop/Gaming: E8400 / 650ti + Accelero S1 / Antec Solo
Myth Backend + Home Server: D945GSEJT / WD15EADS / Hauppage 950Q / Home made case
Myth Frontend + HTPC: Sempron 140 / Asus M4A785-M
Notebook:AMD A4-3300M

cottageaurora
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:00 pm
Location: cambridge

update:

Post by cottageaurora » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:06 pm

now they have painted swedish fish at the Harvard Square T stop. it was not quite finished when I had to leave Cambridge, but it sure doesn't seem like an ad to eat the candy.............

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: New York City zzzz
Contact:

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:11 pm

N7SC wrote:
~El~Jefe~ wrote:I am a fan of Swedish Fish. I dont get them around near me at all. Yum. Much different than a gummy bear.

I havent seen any ads for swedish fish on here. I think I would have clicked that. hm.

wheres a good candy store hm
Yesterday afternoon, my daughter who works in a Factory Card and Party Outlet (FCO) store saw this thread over my shoulder. She says that FCO carries them. In fact she was eating some yesterday morning. Also, Party City (PC) stores have bought FCO, and are in the process of changing the FCO stores over to PC. As the merchandise has started changing at her FCO, they simply changed the type of selection of Swedish fish they carry, but still carry them.

So, search for a FCO or Party City near where you are, and you should have a local supply of Swedish fish.

She was sufficiently intrigued by the Jelly Rats that I think she will talk to the General Manager of the store, and maybe the District Manager and see if they might try carrying them too.
yeah we have party city. I didnt know they had candy!? Nice :)

The rats, I am not too sure about. I know for 100% certain I have never seen the mult-flavored Swedish Fish anywhere. I also like those fake raspberry gumdrop things that have two consistencies. Those are easier to find though.

Mats
Posts: 3044
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:54 am
Location: Sweden

Post by Mats » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:16 pm

I thought it was something new..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Fish

andymcca
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:19 am
Location: Boston, MA, USA

Re: update:

Post by andymcca » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:57 pm

cottageaurora wrote:now they have painted swedish fish at the Harvard Square T stop. it was not quite finished when I had to leave Cambridge, but it sure doesn't seem like an ad to eat the candy.............
I will travel down there this Thursday to check it out. Where is it, exactly? On the sidewalk?
~El~Jefe~ wrote:The rats, I am not too sure about. I know for 100% certain I have never seen the mult-flavored Swedish Fish anywhere. I also like those fake raspberry gumdrop things that have two consistencies. Those are easier to find though.
I had the multi-flavor fish several times, and I must say you've missed nothing. The red ones are the best ones by far. The others are just stale jellies (IMO). I've never seen these raspberry candies you speak of, though. What are they marketed as? Swedish Raspberries?
Mats wrote:I thought it was something new..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Fish
Are you sure you are Swedish? Because I thought Swedish fish were your primary export! (Joke, seriously. I was never quiet sure if calling them Swedish was some marketing ploy. Thank FSM for Wikipedia :)
Currently running Mint 14 MATE on all machines.
Desktop/Gaming: E8400 / 650ti + Accelero S1 / Antec Solo
Myth Backend + Home Server: D945GSEJT / WD15EADS / Hauppage 950Q / Home made case
Myth Frontend + HTPC: Sempron 140 / Asus M4A785-M
Notebook:AMD A4-3300M

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:21 pm
Location: New York City zzzz
Contact:

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:08 pm

they arent called swedish at that point, but they are good! Harder on outside, and Swedish Fish like inside.

Post Reply