looking for a kill-a-watt or power angel in canada?

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
outoftune
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:26 pm
Location: canada

looking for a kill-a-watt or power angel in canada?

Post by outoftune » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:41 pm

anyone know of a place in canada i can buy one of these online or in a store. all of the hardware stores i have checked so far havent had them in stock.
if someone is selling one i'd buy a used one too!

mark432
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:13 pm

Re: looking for a kill-a-watt or power angel in canada?

Post by mark432 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:22 pm

> anyone know of a place in canada i can buy one of these online or
> in a store. all of the hardware stores i have checked so far
> havent had them in stock.

You can get them online at http://store.greengadgets.ca

- Mark

coylh
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:56 pm

Post by coylh » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:04 pm

mr. poopyhead
Patron of SPCR
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: Mississauga, ON
Contact:

Post by mr. poopyhead » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:26 pm

i got it from this guy on eBay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Kill-A-Watt-Ele ... dZViewItem

it worked out to be under $30 CAD at the time.... now that the canadian dollar is doing so well, it works out to be $23 CAD i believe...

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:07 pm
Location: Vancouver

Post by Lawrence Lee » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:56 pm

Got mine at Canadian Tire:
link

alleycat8675309
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:39 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by alleycat8675309 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:04 am

Ditto. Had to get mine from the King George Hwy. location in Surrey as I couldn't find it in a few Vancouver locations a few months ago.
Amourek wrote:Got mine at Canadian Tire:
link

mark432
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:13 pm

Post by mark432 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:48 pm

Hmmm .... that photo you posted is not actually a Kill-a-Watt, but some lookalike product.

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:12 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact:

Post by zoob » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:56 pm

Check your local library too. The one in my town gives out free fluorescent light bulbs if you're borrowing it for the first time.

Blacktales
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 6:58 am

Post by Blacktales » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:15 pm

I got the one listed previously at Canadian tire today. (I actually though about ordering online but it was more trouble than it was worth to save maybe 2 bucks and get a brand name Kill-a-Watt which do not seem to have much more functions anyway).

It is a UPM Inc. EM100 Energy Meter exactly as listed on their website (you can check for availability in your region).

As far as i can tell, it works as advertised and seems to have quite good accuracy. So far I've tested it on :
- Two big AC fans
- A microwave
- A few lamps
- Clavinova Keyboards
- TV
and everytime the power meter was spot on compared to the apparatus manufacturers ratings. The input power readings were also quite similar to what i could measure with a multimeter. One thin

I haven't played with more advanced functions like the price calculator yet (One bad thing is there is no included manual and i could not find it on their website yet) but i am pretty happy with the purchase.

I have yet to actually connect it to my computer setup for i very rarely reboot the system. Maybe then i will finally know how much the thing really needs.

Post Reply