[WTB] Mobo for Mobile 2500+ Barton

Got a hot deal to share, info about a vendor, gear to sell, or a question about where to buy?

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tinker77

[WTB] Mobo for Mobile 2500+ Barton

Post by tinker77 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:25 am

like title says, looking for something reasonably inexpensive yet great mobo :)

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed May 20, 2009 6:05 am

eBay.

Good luck finding anything worthwhile however. I tried to replace an old nForce2 board last year for my brother who had inherited my old system. The only thing that was reasonable was a refurb Jetway board for <$50. But two tried to purchase and all were out of stock. I think we ended up getting him one of the PCChips boards for ~$40, which was a ripoff.

Here's a good place to start. Stick with the namebrands though, as the cheap boards will not have much in the way of features or reliability. Be sure to get dual-channel DDR if you can, it makes a big difference.

My fav nForce2 board of all time, the A7N8X-E deluxe, can be had for ~$100, now. It has the Soundstorm chip for built-in Dolby Digital Live encoding over SPDIF, dual-channel DDR, and GigE. The only downside is nForce2 boards are not supported under Vista (no drivers).

swaaye

Post by swaaye » Wed May 20, 2009 12:16 pm

The only time dual channel makes much difference with Athlon is when you have an IGP going too. The reason is that the CPU's FSB is saturated by a single channel of DDR.

mcoleg

Post by mcoleg » Wed May 20, 2009 4:12 pm

where are you at? i've got a DFI NFII Ultra B taking space in the closet, won't mind finding a good home for it.