T-Power Semi-Passive 400W

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Jordan

T-Power Semi-Passive 400W

Post by Jordan » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:21 pm

I serched for this on the forums already and I don't see it so I appologise if it was already reported.

http://www.mcubed-tech.com/eng/produkte_FSP400.htm

I have wanted to see this kind of thing for ages. When there were problems with the first Passive PSUs my toughts went something like "why don't they make a PSU with good sized heatsinks, designed like the ones that were having problems with overheating but rather than overheat, when they get hot a fan then comes on?".

It's a huge transformation going from with a fan to being completely fanless so why didn't they try in between first? I mean an emergency fan makes a lot of sense. The only downside I see is it takes away from some heatsink space inside.

I wouldn't mind a quiet fan coming on (as long as it wasn't going on and off constantly) if it meant my PC would start next time...

I'd like to think this PSU will be much cheaper than the fanless ones and since it's a Fortron it should hopefully be quiet and efficient too.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:40 pm

The most interesting about this is that you can also buy the controller they use inside that PSU as a seperate product.
http://www.mcubed-tech.com/eng/produkte_semikit.htm

Imagine a Seasonic Super Silencer with this type of control and silent fan.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:42 pm

Wow, I first saw this product over a year ago and just re-stumbled across it. Does anyone have any experiance of it?

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:27 am

Hi,

IIRC that PSU is the Fortron FSP400-60PN(PF) (unless they have now made an updated version). If you want to control your PSU with the T-Balancer but don't want to mod the PSU yourself then this is probably an option. Well, it's the only option.

But, the PSU model / design are a bit outdated (20-pin ATX connector, single 12V rail), so with the money they are asking you could get a "modern" normal PSU with a good fan control, like Seasonic, Antec or if you want a semi-passive then the Elan Vital Greenerger.

I think the biggest difference to just using a normal T-Bal digital / analog sensor with the PSU kit Tibors linked to is the HW implemented emergency fan on/off at 80C/75C.

Personally I wouldn't pay what they are asking for that PSU (109€ in their own webshop) as I could get a better PSU and mod it for less money.