SilenX v. 120mm FSU for low airflow case?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

RDaneel

SilenX v. 120mm FSU for low airflow case?

Post by RDaneel » Tue May 27, 2003 1:39 pm

Hi everyone -

I was all set to order two SilenX PSUs for my upgrades, until the various info about the lack of ventilation issue for the SilenXs. I will have one watercooled system, so I figure that the SilenX is fine, as the heat source will be a radiator at the front of the case, not a hot HSF right under the PSU. Maybe I'll put a 7V 80mm L1A under it just in case...

However, my question is for my secondary system, an Athlon XP1800+ with a Glacialtec Igloo Silent Breeze HSF. I am worried that the SilenX will heat up, and the fan will end up being a noise problem. Would going with a (much less expensive, too!) FSU with the 120mm fan? Then I could probably skip an exhaust fan entirely...

What do you guys think I should do? Any advice would be appreciated!

RDaneel

Will35

Post by Will35 » Tue May 27, 2003 1:59 pm

I recently installed a Fortron FSP300-60PN in my server box, a 1Ghz P3 with the stock CPU fan running @ 8v the PSU provides the only air movement thru the case.... the box runs 24-7 folding and serving up a web page now and then. CPU temp 45, case temp 41, PSU exhaust temp 36 w/ the ambiant temp @ 25. Only mod I made to the case was to block the exhaust fan outlet.

Good luck, Will
Last edited by Will35 on Tue May 27, 2003 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RDaneel

Post by RDaneel » Tue May 27, 2003 2:47 pm

Will -

If I understand you right, then you are saying that the FSU provides pretty good airflow, and I shouldn't necessarily worry about having other case fans. Good to know, thanks!

I am leaning towards the FSU for two reasons: 1) while it may not be AS quiet, it won't turn out to get loud once it has to help exhaust case air and 2) it's one third the price.

Any more advice would be appreciated! I love this forum!
RDaneel

Will35

Post by Will35 » Tue May 27, 2003 3:02 pm

Sorry about the lack of clarity, RD. Yes, the Fortron provides the only airflow thru the case.