Silverstone Nightjar ST45NF in Lian Li PC-7F - Good choice?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

zenzero-2001

Silverstone Nightjar ST45NF in Lian Li PC-7F - Good choice?

Post by zenzero-2001 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:36 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to put a Nightjar ST45NF in my Lian Li PC-7F case or whether it would run too hot. My system is as follows:

Asus P5Q-E Motherboard
E8400 Core 2 Duo passively cooled with Thermalright HR-01 Plus
Sythe Kama PWM 120mm fan as the case fan, but connected to the CPU fan header
xpertVision 9600GT passively cooled with an accelero S1 rev.2 (this can get quite warm)
There is also a 140mm Lian Li intake fan, which I have currently removed - but would either put back or replace if using a passive PSU.

With a passive PSU, I would likely remove the drive cage and either place the hard disk (Western Digital Green Power 750Gb) on some foam on the bottom or use a Scythe Quiet Drive. Would this improve the air flow to the PSU? Is this a good idea?

One thing that I would be concerned about is cooking my Xonar Essence STX soundcard (a quite expensive audiophile soundcard), which is currently situated in the bottom slot of the motherboard (as far away as possible from the graphics card). This is directly above the PSU and I am worried about the heat from the PSU affecting it.

Would it be necessary to compartmentalize the bottom part of the case containing the PSU or would it be okay as it is?

I appreciate your learned opinions! :)