my humble opinon on the OCZ StealthXstream 400w(warning 56!)

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

stead

my humble opinon on the OCZ StealthXstream 400w(warning 56!)

Post by stead » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:38 am

I caved in and bougt the 400w version purely because it was £30!! was going to get the 500 but i've been running this machine for the last 3 years on a 380w antec neo he so figured it should be fine, afterall, i don't consider OCZ to be a bottom of the range brand.

so far i'm more than impressed, my pc is now virtually silent, can only hear the slight hum of the cpu fan, an old akasa heatpipe cooler

temps have dropped significantly in the case, i feel the antec's 80mm fan didn't really cut it, often the air coming out of the psu was very warm if the computer had been on for a few hours, after gaming for a bit the air was quite hot, systemps (according to hwmonitor) haven't got over 40 since using this ocz one, before they would often get to 48 with all the case fans spinning up to full trying desperatly to cool it.

starting to think i didn't need to stuff the case with foam now! although i can't hear the hd at all so maybe wasn't all bad :)

for anyone thats interseted, i'm running e7200 @ 3gh 4 slots of dd2 ram, asus p5k-wifi board, 1 seemingly warm running samsung hd (thinking of switching to ssd or a single platter drive) passive 4850 with a gentle typhoon running around same speeds as the case fans using the quiet fan feature of the board, wrapped up in an antec solo case, 2 92mm fans, one held in place by the hd suspension things, the other cablie tied to the 4850, and one 120mm on the back, I can only hear the pc now when i really listen out for it :)

even after a few heavy hours of gaming th air coming out of the psu is still quite cool.

also i noticed theres more connectors than the antec psu, 4 sata, 6 molex, 2 floppy, 1 pci express 6/8 pin connector, i did miss the modular for installation but once its done its done, cables are easy enough to move around, braiding is very tidy for a pre braided device, i've seen ones that cost well over £150 in work that look like the braid was an afterthought

I hope this very basic opinon can help people decide :) i was put off by some review sites claiming this was a cheaply made psu, it was a little lighter than the antec, but still had a quality chunky weight feel to it, i'm glad i didn't fork out an extra £120 for some zalman heatpipe psu, 140mm fan seems to really help with the cooling :D

now if only i can find a buyer for the antec psu! :shock:
Last edited by stead on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 40974111 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:21 am

Any chance of getting a photo of how you attached the gentle typhoon to the 4850. Always interesting to see solutions.

stead

Post by stead » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:50 am

can you upload photos to this forum?

got 2 photos of the inside of the case, but then you all get to see my hack nslash approach with the dodgy foam which i'm not 100% sure about!

i'll try n get them uploaded later to show

stead

Post by stead » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:17 pm

stead wrote:can you upload photos to this forum?

got 2 photos of the inside of the case, but then you all get to see my hack nslash approach with the dodgy foam which i'm not 100% sure about!

i'll try n get them uploaded later to show
heres my dodgy way of attaching it, large pics mind

Image[/img]

tropical_nut

Post by tropical_nut » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:22 am

The OCZ SXS400-EU was reviewed at HWSecrets.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/794

The components look good (unit made by CWT).
Any news on the acoustics of the 140mm fan by SPCR members who have this PSU?