corsair RM750x v2 whine noise

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

nimo11

corsair RM750x v2 whine noise

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:16 am

i am building a new pc and was thinking to go on the corsair RM750x v2 psu.
read in several places that people report about this annoying noise that you hear on idle.
i am very sensitive to those kind of noises.
is there a recommendation for any other very quiet 650-750w psu, that will not have this noise?

CA_Steve

Re: corsair RM750x v2 whine noise

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:41 am

Could you link these references? Offhand, I don't recall ever hearing about this.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:02 am

first, i'm glad that you have not heard about it.
it means that hopefully it's not so common as many people complain about it all over the internet.
after reading a lot on it looks that it's not typical only to one brand or model or quality but almost all modern pcu can have this issue in different volumes.
some replaced it with the warranty and it helped, other get the same result after replacing.
here some examples. the internet is full with it:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... e.3590504/
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... 8.3638245/
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... f.3507336/
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... g.3530195/
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/c ... king_this/

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:14 pm

I think this is a non-issue. Read less internet threads :)

In the first one: do you plan to have your ear against the PSU? Might be hard to see the monitor.

2nd one: only happened during gaming...and hadn't fault isolated it to the PSU. That said, the fun combination of random motherboard + PSU+ random Gfx card can sometimes cause coil whine in some PSUs - especially if the user is running the game at crazy high fps (think 100's). This is one of the things Corsair designed for when the first gen came out. It shouldn't be an issue.

3rd one: was because the dude didn't have grounded outlets.

4th one: JonnyGuru answered it. Potential +5VSB transformer whining. Never had anyone in this forum mention it. Some PSUs had it as a problem when the EU improved standby power efficiency.

5th: I couldn't hear it.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:45 pm

thanks steve.
as you said yourself it can happen randomly due to some combination of components .
the thing that worry me is that people reported that they hear this electronic noise, some relatively loud, from the psu even when on idle and when the fan does not spin .
there are lot more complains about it over the internet , i brought here only few of them.
since they are about to assemble my pc this week i will ask them to check carefully this thing before it will be supplied to me.
hope I'll be one of the lucky that will not get this issue.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:08 am

I have a few RM550X and one RM750X. No issues with any of my units.

Electronic noise will always be there. Even my main system with no moving parts makes a faint squealing, grinding noise when under load. Comes from the motherboard it seems. It's very faint and not annoying though. With a good ear pressed against even a very good power brick or PSU you will be able to hear some kind of noise while the load is high or the load fluctuates. Sometimes while idle. My very nice Meanwell 12V power bricks I like to use with my picoPSUs whines a little, but only really noticeable with the system turned off, and then I usually cut the power to the power brick so no issue really.
So anyone really looking for any kind of noise will probably be able to find it. My advise is not to worry to much about this issue. Avoid the known "problem units" (the Corsair RMx series is not one of those) and buy from places with good return policies. Pray like hell that the parts you put together plays nice together. :) This is the main problem with whining components it seems - some combination of graphics card and PSU will sometimes cause issues etc.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:49 am

So called ,,coil whine" can happen with any PSU, GPU and mobo. There's no way to avoid it, it's just needed to be checked in case of return or RMA (depends on the deal you buy your computer with). Corsair for sure covers this problem with their warranty, because I personally asked them about it few months ago.

Another thing to check are every fan in the system. Faulty ones happen to rattle or buzz.

Such checks are the basics of building the computer and should be executed before anything else (the same as trying to unscrew every screw in the case you could ever need to remove). You should tell guys, who will build your unit to do all these checks in case of they thinking another way than me ;)

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:26 am

thanks Vicotnik and Japanese Capacitor .
i guess you are right, but of course it depend on the level of the noise.
i read on one of those posts that someone suggested to the guy that complained that he can hear it even when the pc is turned off, to unplug or shut off the psu when not using it.
and someone else said that doing it many times can reset the bios.
the store i bought from and that will assemble for me the pc have a good reputation and experience for returning and replacing something that have some damage.
of course noise is something that everyone can interpret differently.
i wrote about it to the guy that i'm in touch with him and he promised that they will check it during the assemble, and if there will be an issue they will replace it on place.
hope for good.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:18 am

Generally don't worry until you meet some problem - worries won't prevent you from this ;) Reasonable is just checking everything. Faulty components happen however good ones you buy - faulty from the start or not long later.

Vicotnik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Vicotnik » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:00 am

nimo11 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:26 am
i read on one of those posts that someone suggested to the guy that complained that he can hear it even when the pc is turned off, to unplug or shut off the psu when not using it.
and someone else said that doing it many times can reset the bios.
When possible I always cut power to my systems when not in use. Reduces wasted power. :) The battery on the motherboard (usually a cheap CR2032) holds the time and settings for years. I've replaced the battery on quite a few motherboards, but never on a system not well beyond its prime. Do not fear cutting the power.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:02 am

great, thanks

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:12 pm

hi everyone.
i have my new pc for 2 days and i am very pleased of performance and silence.
in my previous pc the fans of the case were a bit loud(after almost 10 years i have it ), so i didn't noticed to the sound of my storage hdd i have.
i installed it to my new pc ( in addition to the main ssd drive) and now i can hear it turning when it read data from it.
planning to change it to ssd sata drive, 2 tb.
is there any recommendation for one?
read good things about Samsung evo 970.

second question.
is there a way to set the fans speeds on the fractal 7?
i read that it depends on if it was installed with 3 or 4 pins, which i don't know exactly what it means .
something about PWM fans.
i made a short check in my bios and think that found only cpu cooler fan to set.
my pc runs relatively cool , so i think i can try lower fans speed.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:17 am

You can turn off your HDD, when it's not active. I quote what Steve wrote yesterday in another topic:

,,Type "edit power plan" in the windows search bar.

Change advanced power settings-> Hard disk-> turn off hard disk after xx minutes"

If you still want to change your HDD and all you need is just noiseless space for data, go with SATA SSD. My reccomendations are: Crucial MX500 or Samsung 870 Evo.

In terms of Define 7 fans, you can control them. First check, how you have them plugged. Case fans should be plugged into hub you will find on cable management wall under right side panel. They should be plugged into 3-pin connectors and hub should be plugged into motherboard (one of the CHA_FAN/SYS_FAN) and to PSU's SATA cable. Don't plug here anything else like e.g. CPU cooler. If it's done like I said, fans probably run constant 100%. If so, go to bios and find settings of connector you plugged hub into. Search for something like Control Mode/Type, it's probably on Auto, so switch it to PWM. Then you should be able to control case fans and set them your own fan curve. If I remember well, in Gigabyte bios this switch is on the same screen you set fan curve.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:04 am

thanks.
the noise from the HDD is only when i go to read or write some data. other wise it's not noisy .
i want to change any way to a sata ssd which will work faster.
i'll check the two you mentioned.

about the fans speed i'll do the checking you suggested.
Last edited by nimo11 on Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:10 am

To my taste the thing is to have your computer just silent as off during no-load as webbrowsing and you have conditions to have it. So if it's not like that, however close it is, it sucks and you don't get what you paid for. Generally it will be determined by your HDD and being or not being able to slow down case fans to inaudible speeds.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:01 am

i am planning to buy the Samsung evo 870 for storage.
it's original connection is sata 6.
i have on my board additional pci-e connection.
do you think that kind of this adaptor sata to pci-e will improve the ssd sata performance?
https://www.amazon.com/Sedna-Express-Ad ... B01452SP1O

or this:
https://www.newegg.com/riitop-model-dul ... klink=true

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:26 am

If your board is B550 Aorus Pro AX, you don't need these expansions - they are for people, who run out connectors and secound one is incompatibile with 870 Evo. You have six SATA 6 Gb/s connectors, so just buy this drive and do what instruction says without any of your invention ;)

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:02 pm

sorry for my ignorance , i always thought that pci-e is faster than sat 6.
this is my board.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B5 ... v-10/sp#sp

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:06 pm

No problem - just buy this storage and don't worry.

Did you manage to set these fans?

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:05 pm

it will take me some time.
actually right now i almost can't hear them.

Japanese Capacitor

Post by Japanese Capacitor » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:45 am

You can also check, if your motherboard has some Windows software to control fans. It's usually main mobo software, which has various functionalities and fan tuning is one of them.

nimo11

Post by nimo11 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:01 am

thanks.
i'll check later on