Does anyone know when Antec are releasing the Phantom?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

davidstone28

Does anyone know when Antec are releasing the Phantom?

Post by davidstone28 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:42 am

Does anyone know when Antec are releasing the Phantom fanless PSU? Haven't heard any news for ages......

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13518

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:25 am

Dunno. Is that an internal or external supply? If internal, where does the heat go? :?

will0957

Post by will0957 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:37 am

it looks really, really nice. i'd love to get one. $169 isn't terrible for what it is... i just read an article saying they were supposed to ship in march? who knows.

perfect timing though.. cause in the next month or so i'm going to be building my first silent pc :D

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:25 pm

nutball wrote:If internal, where does the heat go? :?
It's internal, and that was my concern back when they first announced it. What's the point of dumping 30W+ of heat right back into the case?

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:55 pm

Ralf Hutter wrote:What's the point of dumping 30W+ of heat right back into the case?
I don't actually think its going to be as significant as you think it will be. My CPU probably dumps 70W-90W of heat into my case, disappated only by a small slab of finned copper. That doesn't have any adverse effects on the temperatures of other components in my case due to the distance. I would be very very surprised if a something like the Phantom (which seems to use a whole side of the PSU as a HS) would make any noticeable difference to component temps. And besides, temps easily within manufactuers specs. If anyone's going to design a fanless PSU well, its going to be Antec.

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:53 pm

I'm glad that you brought this up davidstone28. I've been very happy with my Silentmaxx Prosilence-350, but I am quite interested in the Antec offering as well. End of April was mentioned in this thread.

I do wish we had a firm date for the Phantom...

8)

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:25 pm

Well, this PSU will definitely look a lot better sitting outside the case than a generic PSU. Hope the cables are long enough.

Or you can always create your own well ventilated case (links to AeroCool's Lubic gallery).

For it to efficiently dump heat into the case, the surrounding temp needs to be cooler than the PSU temp. Since hot air rises and gets trapped at the top of the case, and now there isn't a PSU fan to exhaust this air, I imagine it'll get quite toasty at the top unless you have a blow hole at the top of the case.

Or maybe the efficiency of this PSU is so good there is little waste heat.

Yeah, right.

Edit: Oh, wait, I get it. They must have that 330% efficient Japanese motor thingie inside this. It draws only 106W from the AC at full load (350W). Maybe it'll even absorb 246W of heat!

Doomer

Post by Doomer » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:23 am

Well I am definately going to try installing Phantom like MikeC did in his "External PSU PC". For that kind of money I want the unit to have long working life. I hope it is BTX compatible.

davidstone28

Post by davidstone28 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:41 am

Just got a email from Antec:-

"There is no official release date at this time."

:( I wonder if there are technical gremlins holding back the release?

loren_brothers
Location: Friday Harbor, San Juan Island, WA, USA....Just West of B.F.Egypt

Post by loren_brothers » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:51 pm

LOL

NOT Antec! :lol: :wink: Their problems in getting products to market are in no way connected to technical problems. :wink: Or so I've been informed. :wink:

Maybe one of their container ships sank somewhere off the Straights of Formosa?? Or maybe "Chinese Gremlins" swapped the shipment with a load of fireworks destined for Sydney?