Apparently my PSU has been running Fanless for 3 weeks.

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

mikoyan

Apparently my PSU has been running Fanless for 3 weeks.

Post by mikoyan » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:57 pm

I just got a new Seasonic Super Tornado and was impressed with the lower noise than my old enermax. This complemented my two 5v L1As and Zalman CNPS7000Alcu and Zalman zm80-HP and Nb47J passive coolers nicely.
At one point my PSU started to buzz, the case vibrating and making more noise. So like the good user I am, I smacked my case, the noise stopped and all was good.
My temps were a little high however after putting in the new PSU, rougly 43 idle and 55+ under load. So I decided to put my panaflo's up to 7V.
I opened my case and lo and behold the RPM monitoring wire had somehow gotten into the 120mm fan in the Seasonic and had stopped the fan. This had been running like this for the better part of a month.
I'm somewhat tempted to put the wire back in, now that the seasonic's fan is spinning again, I can hear the difference (albeit small).

Or would I be tempting fate too much, and the PSU gods will smite me?

Specs:
2.4B @ 3.2
Seasonic Super Tornado A2 350W
Modded old desktop case
(2) Panaflo L1A

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:24 am

Well I have run a psu that was designed to be fanned, fanless for many months. But I had it in a case where the (120mm) case fan was intake and the psu was the main exhaust hole, so there was air flow through the psu.

However, 2 L1A @ 7V is minimal case airflow even if they are intakes. I would not be so bold as to run your Tornado with your system with no fan! A rough thumbsuck says your system is running between 100-150W DC, which means there is 25-40W of heat inside the psu itself and even I recommend some airflow for that.

aston

Re: Apparently my PSU has been running Fanless for 3 weeks.

Post by aston » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:06 pm

mikoyan wrote:Or would I be tempting fate too much, and the PSU gods will smite me?
Eventually, you will be smote.

Nice to know that the Seasonic won't die (immediately) under those conditions, though. I have a 400w Tornado and I plan on modifying it with a 5v Papst, but even then I'm apprehensive about it since the stock fan ramps up so easily. I wouldn't run it completely fanless if I were you.

al bundy

Re: Apparently my PSU has been running Fanless for 3 weeks.

Post by al bundy » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:01 pm

aston wrote: Eventually, you will be smote.

Sounds like a good bumper sticker phrase doesn't it? :D

8)

aston

Post by aston » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:21 am

Lol, yeah. Kinda like "Shit happens" but with Biblical grandeur. :)