Tagan 380w or 480w?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Maurizio XP

Tagan 380w or 480w?

Post by Maurizio XP » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:08 am

In order to have silence it is better to have a "bigger" psu or a little one?

The system is a p4 2.8 with radeon 9600pro... nothing above 130w-140w...

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:22 am

Smaller ones tend to be more efficient and thus put out less heat for the same load. It would follow that the smaller ones would then be quieter.

Maurizio XP

Post by Maurizio XP » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:37 am

thank you.
I read that tagan is very hot... it is true?
Any other 8x8cm psu?

What about tsp?

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:40 am

Yes, it runs quite hot (480W version at least), unless you have extra case cooling.

Maurizio XP

Post by Maurizio XP » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:58 am

but the cpu temperature or the power supply?

thx

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:00 am

Maurizio,

well both!

If you have very high load on the PSU, it will get hot.

However, to have a very high load on the PSU you need to have components inside your case that draw a lot of current and make a lot of heat (i.e. cpu heat, gpu heat).

So, the PSU does get hot on it's own if it is loaded heavily enough.

However, almost always when it's loaded, there is extra heat from the components doing the loading!

So you have double the cooling effort needed :)

Maurizio XP

Post by Maurizio XP » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:16 am

Ok, i don't have an high load with my configuration so I think the 380w it's enough; and I also have exausth fan for the system heat

exxowire

Post by exxowire » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:22 am

Maurizio XP

I heard that the Tagan PSU is noisy compare to Seasonic or ANTEC. Even the 380w is still noisy.

Maurizio XP

Post by Maurizio XP » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:37 am

antec? antec is not true silent.. I always read in a few reviews th the tagan is more silent than the zalman too... On this forum I read some versions head problems but they told it was silence

exxowire

Post by exxowire » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:51 am

Maurizio XP,

The choice is up to you.

I personally have tried Antec True Power 380w and the Seasonic Tornado 400w. The Antec came along with the Sonata and the Seasonic Tornado I use it with my Antec P160 casing. I have no problems with noisy fans. Eventhough Seasonic Tornado uses a 120mm fan at the rear. Some members even replaced the fan with an Evercool Aluminum fan.

The best thing you can do is try as many PSU before buying the right one. Then compare the silence.

rperezlo

Post by rperezlo » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:52 am

Get this one if you can get it in Italy. I have the 400 W 2 fans model and it is absolutely silent. My load is similar to yours (P4 2.4 G + Geforce 3 + DVD Burner).

http://www.be-quiet.de/english_flash
http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/2004 ... qt_p4_370w

The reason why you don't hear about this PS in this forum is because it's only 220 V, there is no US version.

Maurizio XP

Post by Maurizio XP » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:03 am

thank you, I can get it in Italy or in UE.

They said it's identical to the tagan.

IMOM

Post by IMOM » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:34 am

Hi...I have the TG380-U01 powers supply I just received...it's a great power supply, all the voltage rails are within spec and doesn't deviate much during load. It's also very quiet power supply and I stuck a thermal sensor from my SuperFlower Fan Master Controller and it's about 100 F +/- 5F during load inside the power supply case. Ambient was about 80F in the case. There's one problem and that being the rear fan is defective and it's making some clicking noise. I know it's the rear fan, because if I stop the fan blades from moving it doesn't make anymore noise.

So I emailed Tagan and waiting for their response. I wouldn't return it to ajump.com where I bought it from because they charge 15% restocking fee for exchanged items and another $25 testing fee if they deem this clicking noise as not being defective.

My two options are to either get Tagan to replace it for me or to open up the power supply and replace the fan...it's no big deal to replace it...done it many times before...but I don't want to void my new power supply warranty.

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:53 am

Don’t know if you’re aware, but Tagan make a 330W version as well. http://www.tagan.com/main.htm

IMOM

Post by IMOM » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:26 pm

Well...it's been about 4 days now and I haven't received a response from Tagan...so I guess I will have to void my warranty and replace the fan myself. It seems that the low voltage and this particular fan is clicking a lot when it's spinning very slow. It's such a nice power supply...they used thicker than normal cables for all the power connectors, and the power supply is close to twice the weight of my ANTEC SL350S. Just an FYI for folks who consider buying a TAGAN power supply.

alglove

Post by alglove » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:46 pm

IMOM,

Like you, I also bought a Tagan power supply from Ajump. The clicking sound my power supply made was so loud, though, that there was no mistake that it was a defect. It sounded like a marble inside a can of spray paint. They waived my 15% restocking fee, but they also said it was a special case. I am not sure what would happen in your case, where it sounds more borderline.

I also e-mailed Tagan about the problem. I had pretty much given up on hearing back from them, but I did finally receive a response. I think a week had already passed, I do not remember for sure. I just know that by that time, my power supply was already on the way back to California. Their response was basically...

"We were shocked to hear about your power supply. Please return your power supply to the shop and get a new one, so you can feel the true Tagan experience."

IMOM

Post by IMOM » Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:00 pm

Alglove,
Please let me know if the unit you get back from ajump is any better. For $70...For me it's too much trouble to send the unit back and forth and see if I will get another replacement...especially when something like this gives me motivation to open up the case and change out the fans. I just hope my old 80mm adjustable enermax fans will fit and works without problems. It's even more silent than my 80mm panaflo "L" I had...but all my 80mm fans are about 2 or more years old.

For anyone else considering the Tagan power supply...it's a nice power supply...very big heatsinks, nice flat black paint job...thick cables, but can have quality control issues and lack of support from the manufacturer. I think if you are willing to void the warranty in case of any fan problems, then it may be worth it.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:04 am

I reported to Tagan that TWO separate TG480-U01 units I used both failed to start up with Radeon 9800 Pro card. Changing to another PSU or another video card, fixed the problem.

Tagan's reply: you are wrong, something else is wrong in your system. Our PSU is faultless.

Oh well, guess I'll have to try and switch the motherboard next.

<sigh>

regards,
halcyon