is FANLESS PSU 250 watts ok?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

dan

is FANLESS PSU 250 watts ok?

Post by dan » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:38 pm

i have an aopen PSU 250 watts. Since my CPU uses only 14 watts, and video card 5 watts, i decided to remove the PSU fan. seems to be working ok after a year. it's only on a couple of hours a day as i surf the web, write papers, manage checks, etc.

i removed my PSU fan rather crudely. after unscrewing the PSU, i got SCISSORS and Cut-off the fan

if the current draw from a PSU is relatively modest, is removing the fan and worries about overheatting ok?

as it stands my fanless PSU is virtually dead silent.

vortex222

Post by vortex222 » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:55 pm

i would think that having no fan in the psu would make it more then vertually silent. have you got any other fans in the computer? and what are the specs of your computer?

running passive cooled can be very dangerus and cause instability. even having an 80mm L1A at minimal voltage (~4v) can make the PSU cooling upto 300% more effective then nothing at all, and emits almost nothing for noise. even if hard mounted.

it would allow your powersupply to survive some very tough conditions such as brownouts and the like. it would also give some peice of mind.

dan

Post by dan » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:51 pm

hi vortex222

well, no, my pc is fanless, SOYO-TISU and undervolted tualatin celeron 1100, no cpu fan no vga fan no psu fan nothing. seems to work ok though.

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:27 pm

My god... You have the quietest computer ever... No seriously... No fans? And you didn't pay a ridiculous amount for a ridiculous case. I salute you, sir.

trodas

Post by trodas » Mon May 17, 2004 8:12 am

I modded mine PSU to run fanlessly about helf year ago and from this time it working 24/7 :lol: :P
W/O a glitch.
Except removing the fan I added there cooper heatpipes to draw the heat from the heatsinks to the case of the PSU, witch make my PSU more cool, as the case of the PSU is in direct contact with the machine case and thefore all this acting as one big heatsink :twisted:

More pictures there:
http://ax2.wz.cz/galerie.php?p=silentpc&c=7&d=1&v=v2

...and tread about the whole machine there:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=9704

:wink: