Just Bought a EMX-EG475P-VE SFMA that was highly recommeded

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

dukeman

Just Bought a EMX-EG475P-VE SFMA that was highly recommeded

Post by dukeman » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:55 pm

I am still in search for the quietest powersupply that i can get. I just bought this one because it was highly recommed here on this awesome sight. I am putting all my faith in your reviews for this supply.

I figure my system is drawing at a total max 300watts if everything was running full speed which will never happen. this ps was rated to be quieter then the zalman 400w.

I should be getting it next week. i will let you know what i think when i install it.

alglove

Post by alglove » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:50 pm

Dukeman,

Please don't put ALL your faith into something produced by mere mortal men, especially a power supply! Unless you want to start the Church of Enermax of something. :P

Heh, let us know how it goes.

caxis0

Post by caxis0 » Sun May 02, 2004 12:43 pm

I too took this leap of faith after researching around here and other sites pretty extensively. Unfortunately, I'm not going to know just how quiet it is until I get the other components and get it all assembled which will be a while. I look forward to hearing what you think of it!

Bruce

dukeman

Post by dukeman » Fri May 07, 2004 5:07 am

I just recieved my powersupply. the first thing i noticed was it was much smaller then my present SuperFlower. I am now able to use my top blowhole again, it really helps to lower case temps.

I shall complain about the bad stuff first. This unit doesn't have anywhere near enought molex connectors. It has one line that has your standard 2 connectors and 1 floppy connector. then it has 1 wire with 2 molex connectors. Now it gets wierd, there are 2 wires that only have 1 molex connector each on it. One is labeled extra and the other is just plain. It really needs another line of 2 molex connectors for all the crap that is in most peoples computers today. also the length of the wire could be at least 6inches longer. Plus a dedicated 5v line would not be bad either for some slow fans.

Now for the good.

I plugged the supply into my motherboard, cpu fan, and vid card to get a ideal how this thing runs. I turned the fan on low and hit the power. I nearly crapped my pants when the fans spin up to high on start up. They run for about 10-15 seconds on high then drop down to low rpm. I thought something was shorted and was drawing full power from the supply. Scared the crap out of me. I can say for sure that this supply is dead quiet. You can not hear the fans at all when on low. I turned the fans up to high and at low pull they were still silent. I then assembled my system to see how it works under real world conditions. I had to add a splitter so i could have enought connectors for my junk. I fired the computer up and everything started like a charm. You cant hear the ps at all. I am currently running 3 Panaflo L1A at 7 volts and 1 Silentx at 7volts. My cpu cooler is a coolermaster Aero 7 Lite and i have the artic silencer on my vid card.

My computer is now much quieter, but now i can hear my fans running on low speed. This weekend i am going take some pics and play with the fans to find the best solution between noise and cooling. Right now my cpu is at 43 idle and 53 full load with the fan running at 2000rpm which is just hearable. My case temps are running between 31 and 34C which is good. At the end of the summer i will have enought money saved up to go water cooled so i have to live with the noise for now.

I have found that trying to make a silent computer is like taking crack, you just cant get enought of it.

So far i rate this supply a 9, would be higher if it had longer wires and more connectors.

alglove

Post by alglove » Fri May 07, 2004 7:35 pm

Hey, Dukeman. Great! Glad to hear that it worked out for you. :)

I personally prefer the new arrangement of the cables in the Noisetakers and Coolergiants. It just seems to fit my case perfectly, but I can see how they may be too short or too few for others. Still, if buying a Y-splitter or two is the only mod you have to make to your power supply, I think you are pretty well off. ;)

caxis0

Post by caxis0 » Mon May 10, 2004 4:47 pm

That's strange...

Mine came with these leads:

1 with 2 sata
1 with ATX 20 pin
1 with P4, Molex "extra", and 6 Pin Aux
2 with 1 molex and 1 floppy
1 with 3 molex

pics @ http://www.deckadance.com/curious/pics/misc/project

mdaniel
Friend of SPCR

Post by mdaniel » Tue May 11, 2004 3:20 am

Mine will be here by Thursday, so I'll let ya'll know about my results. I won't be able to compare it to my Vantec Ion, as both of its fans have stopped working. But thing is damn silent as a result :roll:

I just don't trust it to game with. It also might be the cause for my fried backup HDD that I've had for over 5 years...or it could just be age. Gotta love the old little 16 gigger.

mdaniel
Friend of SPCR

Post by mdaniel » Wed May 12, 2004 2:56 pm

Mine came same as yours...and I admit, there are not many molex connections. I'm using all but the "extra" one. When I go to the A64 (939 chipset) later this year, I'll be getting a SATA hdd, so that will free up one of the molex connections.

DG

Post by DG » Wed May 12, 2004 5:24 pm

mdaniel wrote:Mine came same as yours...and I admit, there are not many molex connections. I'm using all but the "extra" one. When I go to the A64 (939 chipset) later this year, I'll be getting a SATA hdd, so that will free up one of the molex connections.
So, how is the "noise" of the PSU? :) Are the cables so stiff that you cannot bend them?

dukeman

Post by dukeman » Wed May 12, 2004 6:59 pm

using fan mate my powersupply rpm hovers around 800rpm at idle and up to 1000 rpm under heavy load. she is dead silent at these rpms. i can not hear the powersupply over my panaflo L1a fans.

the secret of the stiff atx cable is to heat it with a hairdryer or heatgun and then bend it the way you need to. It takes alittle time but works great. you do not want to remove the clear plastic, it is grounded sheath underneath it and will short anything out that it touches.

also my voltages are rock steady.

mdaniel
Friend of SPCR

Post by mdaniel » Thu May 13, 2004 12:51 pm

Noise is very quiet w/o mods in my opinion. I can't hear it over my CPU fan, which is an Enermax Adjustable at 2000 RPMs. I can hear it for about the first 5 seconds when turning it on, but after that, it slows the RPMs to around 1000 or so and becomes inaudible in my opinion.

mr_pickles

Post by mr_pickles » Tue May 18, 2004 7:28 am

Seeing as Seasonic is still having problems with rolling out their A3 revisions, I'm looking into one of these instead.

My main concern is that it has a bottom mounted fan drawing air in from the CPU. Anyone running this with a hot CPU (I'm running a P4 3.0 C)? Do you find it ramps up earlier than it should as a result? Anyone have any firsthand experience with the 425W model as far as ramp up?

Also, a stupid issue, but does the fan running after you power off get annoying? I just have this weird notion that when I hit off, it should turn off.

I've also noticed active PFC versions trickling out (at least for the 375W and 475W versions). From the pics I've seen, looks like they come in a darker metallic blue housing.

dukeman

Post by dukeman » Tue May 18, 2004 5:22 pm

on the fan ramping up i have not seen mine go above 1200rpm with a cpu temp of 54c and a case temp of 35c. that is under heavy load.

with the fan still running after you shut down i can not even hear it running. it runs at very low rpm, just enought to move a little air.

mr_pickles

Post by mr_pickles » Wed May 19, 2004 6:30 am

That's good to hear. Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to order one now.

Ironically, it is replacing another Enermax PSU (the so-called "Whisper") which is loud as hell. I swore off Enermax but seeing the reviews here swayed me.

I guess I'll have to get used to the full power rev-up ever time I boot. Not a big deal since my DVD-ROM drive also revs up on boot as well so now it'll have company.

adam3223

Post by adam3223 » Sat May 22, 2004 3:18 pm

Nice to know all u lot in the USA are having fun with the Enermax NoiseTaker EG475P-VE SFMA.

I want one too, but im from the UK, and i can't find anywhere that sells it.
Any ideas?

mr_pickles

Post by mr_pickles » Mon May 24, 2004 6:51 am

Installed my Noisetaker this weekend and am very pleased. The fan stays at around 800rpm and I've only caught it once hitting 1000. I was finally able to rotate out the Enermax "Whisper" PSU out of my machines.

Now, though, my airflow characteristics have changed and so it's back to tweaking fan voltages.

dukeman

Post by dukeman » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:56 am

Hey Mr Pickles,

How are you doing with your PSU. I have tried to overload mine several times and have had no luck what so ever. this supply is the best one i have ever used. It is still rock steady and doesnt make a peep. I will be going over to water cooled at the end of the summer so i should have absolute silence at last.

mr_pickles

Post by mr_pickles » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:32 am

Still doing well with it. I have not experienced it ramping up at all even under full load. RPM's are almost always at 800-900.

I suspect one odd thing which I think someone else mentioned in another thread is that some of the hot air is being blown through the front vents. Part of this may be due to me reversing one of my case exhaust fans (so fewer places for the hot air to go). I have a blowhole fan right near the front vents so it doesn't seem to affect my temps at all. The other odd thing is that max'ing the fan on the PSU (via the knob on the back) doesn't lower temps at all. I'm thinking of trying to block those vents just to see what happens.

In the end, I'll probably end up switching the back case fan back into an exhaust (I think it is causing more air turbulence noise) but all in all, I've been very happy with this PSU. Who knew that after the "Whisper," Enermax would come out with a PSU that is actually quiet.

shathal

Post by shathal » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:14 pm

I support dukeman's claim - the NoiseTaker 475 is the best PSU I've seen - stable as a mountain, certainly quiet, and generally nifty.

The only complaint about I'd have is some of the cabling sheathing Enermax used, but it's nothing I can't live with. Even if it does make Cablegami (in my case) pretty much a no-go :(.

But, oh well, the case is good enough as is :).