Bluefront-mount Alu Evercool 120 in FSP350-60PN?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

NetTechie

Bluefront-mount Alu Evercool 120 in FSP350-60PN?

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:24 pm

Would it be safe to mount a 120mm aluminum evercool fan with the Bluefront method in the Fortron Source FSP350-60PN?? The fan in mine kinda clicks. I don't even think it would void warranty, since there is no seal over the case... it can be removed and replaced w/o voiding I think.

If not this, what is the best way to silence the Fortron Source FSP350-60PN?

Thanks!

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:31 pm

I've played around with Fortron PSUs. One problem you will face when trying to de-couple a 120mm PSU fan is clearance. The fan is already very close to heatsinks and other components......so any de-couple method (even "mine") will make the clearance problem even worse. Not good.

Check out my Fortron mod in this sticky thread. I used a piece of foam to de-couple the fan (plastic-bodied Evercool). This mod is one of my favorites, because it works so well.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:30 pm

Snipping it like that to make the fan fit voids warranty :( I'd be better off just throwing in a fan that is less noisy then probly. :(

Hey, what do you think of the plastic evercool? Maybe answer that question in this thread instead:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ht=#104946

Would it be safe to mount an aluminum inside a psu? Or is that just not worth the risk..?

tay
Friend of SPCR

Post by tay » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:51 pm

NetTechie wrote:Snipping it like that to make the fan fit voids warranty :( I'd be better off just throwing in a fan that is less noisy then probly. :(

Hey, what do you think of the plastic evercool? Maybe answer that question in this thread instead:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ht=#104946

Would it be safe to mount an aluminum inside a psu? Or is that just not worth the risk..?
Changing your fan voids warranty as well. Bluefronts mod is great but not the easy for newbies. No comment on the Al fans as I dont get what the fascination with them is.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:01 pm

tay wrote:Changing your fan voids warranty as well. Bluefronts mod is great but not the easy for newbies. No comment on the Al fans as I dont get what the fascination with them is.
Well, if I put the fans back to the way there were when I got the psu... doubt they'd know. As long as no wires were cut etc.

Aluminum evercools are said to be the most silent fan available... nobody said the evercool plastic ones were as quiet that I noticed. Only aluminum.

mynameisyoung

Post by mynameisyoung » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:43 pm

I got a plastic Evercool from nexfan.com and I hate it.
It clicks on no matter what volt I give it.

It was to potentionally replace the fan in my Fortron, but scrapped that idea because of the clicking, luckily the fan is cheap.

Now I'm stuck on whether I should mod it or not. The power supply seems to be very quiet, but takes forever to ramp down after I game (I don't care about the ramping up when I'm gaming, headphones :) )

Now I'm concidering getting a Zalman and ducting it, similar to the ARM's systems.

But if anyone manages to put the Aluminum fan in there without blowing up the PSU, or themselves for that matter. I'd definetly mod it with that.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:16 pm

mynameisyoung wrote:But if anyone manages to put the Aluminum fan in there without blowing up the PSU, or themselves for that matter. I'd definetly mod it with that.
Right! That's the whole point of this topic! Anyone tried it? What are the risks? Say even if you mount it using screws, and not bluefronts method. It'd be better than stock.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:35 am

Well I have both versions of the Evercool 120mm fan, al and plastic. The numbers/markings/size of each motor are identical, and they sound the same to me. I think it's the same motor with a different housing.....maybe that makes the al version sound different....can't tell.

No way I'm puting an aluminum fan inside a PSU...... :lol:

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:10 am

Maybe I should just get a Panaflo L1A and put that in... would be better than stock fan... right?

mynameisyoung

Post by mynameisyoung » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:11 am

The 120mm Panaflo L1a will not fit in the PSU it's 35mm thick.

If you're insistent on modding it then I'd try the Papst 4412FGL.
www.siliconacoustics.com has it.

Also if you're going to mod the power supply you will have to cut the fan wires and solder and heatshrink since there is no fan connector... just incase you didn't know.

There's also the spartan way of doing it, cutting wires and just twisting them together and electric taping it (dunno how safe this is inside a PSU).

Lee Cresswell

Post by Lee Cresswell » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:53 am

I fitted an aluminium evercool in to my Fortron several months ago. I was a bit supprised at how close some of the components were to the fan and was a bit worried about shorting, but eventually after much checking decided you could just about get away with it. To be on the safe side I coved a few components with insulating tape where they were close to the aluminium fans frame. Can't remember off hand where I put the tape, but it wasn't anything which would get to hot. Anyway the PSU has been running fine for months now so I guess it is possible. I'm powering the fan from a Zalman sped controler (the built in fan control on my psu speeded up at much to low a tempertaure), and have to say it is has been prety sucseful in terms of noise reduction.

Lee Cresswell

Post by Lee Cresswell » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:55 am

I fitted an aluminium evercool in to my Fortron several months ago. I was a bit supprised at how close some of the components were to the fan and was a bit worried about shorting, but eventually after much checking decided you could just about get away with it. To be on the safe side I coved a few components with insulating tape where they were close to the aluminium fans frame. Can't remember off hand where I put the tape, but it wasn't anything which would get to hot. Anyway the PSU has been running fine for months now so I guess it is possible. I'm powering the fan from a Zalman sped controler (the built in fan control on my psu speeded up at much to low a tempertaure), and have to say it is has been prety sucseful in terms of noise reduction.

NetTechie

Post by NetTechie » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:09 am

Lee Cresswell wrote:I fitted an aluminium evercool in to my Fortron several months ago. I was a bit supprised at how close some of the components were to the fan and was a bit worried about shorting, but eventually after much checking decided you could just about get away with it. To be on the safe side I coved a few components with insulating tape where they were close to the aluminium fans frame. Can't remember off hand where I put the tape, but it wasn't anything which would get to hot. Anyway the PSU has been running fine for months now so I guess it is possible. I'm powering the fan from a Zalman sped controler (the built in fan control on my psu speeded up at much to low a tempertaure), and have to say it is has been prety sucseful in terms of noise reduction.
JUST THE ANSWER I WAS LOOKING FOR!!!! Thanks! Ok.... *writes onto todo list*.

PS. You can delete your duplicate post btw.