Strange Enermax NoiseTaker 475 Specs? Help?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Uberman1080

Strange Enermax NoiseTaker 475 Specs? Help?

Post by Uberman1080 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:55 am

Ok, no denying it seems like its the best PSU out of Enermax in a long time. But in reading the specs on Enermax's site i noticed somthing strange. It seems as if the Max current on the 12V line (both lines) is 20A.
as in the specs it says that :
Over current Protection - +12V1 & +12V2: 20A (max)
Wouldnt this mean that on the 12V line it would put out a max of 240W and not 372W @ 31A ??
Mabye someone can explain this to me, oh and also another quick question. Ive herd about the cable wrap being really stiff, is it the black stuff the clear stuff or both?

shathal

Post by shathal » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:21 am

Urm - well, the Noisetaker has two seperate 12V rails - one for the CPU/mobo, one for "the rest" (which makes a lot of sense, IMHO).

You might want to e-mail them about it, if you're unsure - they're the ones who wrote them (I apologize if I'm too lazy to open up my chassis at the moment to look. If I can, I'd get by on laziness... :P).

As for the cable stiffness - it's nothing that can't be worked on. I've fit things quite all-right. It just somewhat kills any idea of cable-gami.

You've got the following:
"one big fat silver" pipe, which is the main lead, and also the only point of most likely irritation.

They *DO* have a spare strand of cable which includes an EXTRA Molex-connector, so that'd be your high-end graphics card sorted :).

The other stuff is mostly just "black lined", and quite manageable. Just not good for cable-gami, but I can live with it. :)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:50 pm

Looks to me that 20A over current spec refers to each of the 12V lines. If it was 20A for both, my sample would probably have tripped its protection circuits during my testing. (I pulled 21A through the 12V lines at max output test.) I highly doubt you have anything to worry about -- 470W is just about impossible for any desktop system to draw, and if it did, I guarantee it could not be quiet. Think 250W max for a high power all-out dual CPU system and you'd be estimating on the high side. 200W is about as high as you'd get with a single CPU high end system.

shathal

Post by shathal » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:06 pm

Yeh - it's usually not the total wattage that gets, it's the old amps ... :)

Uberman1080

Post by Uberman1080 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:48 pm

Well I’ve sent an email off to Enermax like suggested, and will update when i get a reply. Mike didn’t the PSU trip out on you anyway when running it at full spec? Exceeding 20A could be the reason for it? How did you test it with the PSU having 2 rails (loading different ampage rails independently) could it be that their 2 12V rails are just one fancy 20A rail? I don’t know enough about PSU's to know but is interesting.

Anyway I know that 470W is by far and away overkill (I'm picky and like quality) but the specs are always good to read.

dukeman

Post by dukeman » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:27 am

i have recently bought this supply. The atx cable is really stiff but all you have to do is take either a hairdryer or a heat gun and warm it up alittle. after that it will bend any way you want it to and when it stiffens again it will never move on you.

Uberman1080

Post by Uberman1080 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:36 am

Well i said id give an update when i got a reply. And after waiting 14 Days for a reply i finally got one.

"Sorry for our late response and many thanks for your support toward Enermax's power supply.
Referring to your question, 20A is combined for both rails, +12v1&+12v2. Therefore, it could meet with UL 240VA(240w) requirment.
Finally, shall you have other questions, please feel free to contact us again. Thank you!

Best regards,
Rebecca Ma"

Well it was a nice email but im still confused. Mabye someone can enlighten me but wont this mean that the max output of the 12V rail will be 20A total? thus 240W peak? This could explain why it tripped in your review mike? By the way this 20A rating goes throughout the series too.

Im probably completely wrong and i have a feeling i am. But can someone explain this to me?

Once again i know that 240W on a 12V rail should be enough for anyone but im curious as to why this is.