Thermaltake Silent PP series?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Jordan

Thermaltake Silent PP series?

Post by Jordan » Sat Jul 10, 2004 7:27 pm

Does anyone have any experiances (ggod or bad) with the Thermaltake "Silent" Pure power range? How quiet are they?

I can't wait to see a review of their W0050 fanless PSU when it is released. I have high hopes for it with it's large rear heatsink though I would prefer the heatsink at the front wasn't there so I could possible add a fan close by.

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:11 pm

I, unfortunately, have one, 480w flavor, and it's a big POS. LOUD fans, unstable output, fan control connectors that pull off of the wires. The absolute worst piece of equipment I ever bought.

It does however seem to function well as a door stop, providing the door isn't too heavy.

I suppose you could press flowers with it too.

You might review the SPCR list of recommended powersupplies.

Shadowknight

Post by Shadowknight » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:54 pm

Board consensus seems to be that TT products are inferior knock-offs of products by good companys.

By the way, Nowhere_man, did you get your name from a show that ran on UPN around 1996?

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:07 pm

Shadowknight wrote:By the way, Nowhere_man, did you get your name from a show that ran on UPN around 1996?
No, actually it's totally unrelated to anything in the media or music.

Deheinx

Post by Deheinx » Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:33 pm

I have had several Thermaltake PP PSU's and they have all been rock solid as far as voltage levels go. But they are far from silent. If you're just looking for a solid PSU and don't care about noise then go for it.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:14 pm

I also know them to be stable from the many reviews I have read. I and others also recommend them on my regular forums, all experiences have been good. I just wanted to know the noise output coz most people I deal with that have used one or I recommend to think anything is quiet if it doesn't sound like the hair dryers that they're used to.

I'm not looking for spectacularly quiet as it's not for my own PC. Just your average PC for customers like I sell here http://www.controlpc.co.uk/silence.html

I'll stick with the Sonata and it's fairly quiet PSU. Thanks for the heads up peeps.
Last edited by Jordan on Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shathal

Post by shathal » Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:48 pm

Nowhere_man wrote:
Shadowknight wrote:By the way, Nowhere_man, did you get your name from a show that ran on UPN around 1996?
No, actually it's totally unrelated to anything in the media or music.
Drats - the Beatles' song would've been my guess personally... :)

Interitus

Post by Interitus » Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:56 pm

I have the TT Silent Purepower 420w...rails are stable, not a bad PSU IMO if you're just wanting a PSU and not silence. It's not incredibly noisy, I would classify it as "whiny" more than anything. The fans have kind of a high pitched whine when everything else in my system got silenced.

In my rig I didn't notice it until I went passive on the Northbridge and went with a fanless graphics card. Only things I have running now are the Sonata 120mm fan, and a Zalman AlCu w/ decoupled fan running at 5v. I can plainly hear the whining noise over that. When I had the NF7-S NB fan running and a GF4 Ti4600 in the system I didn't notice it.

To me it's not a cheap knockoff, just not really deserving of the "Silent" title. Other than the whining when everything else is uber quiet, it's been good to me. I Imagine a few panaflos could cure it.