Quieting a strange server power supply

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

diamondsw

Quieting a strange server power supply

Post by diamondsw » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:12 am

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2300 that I'd love to play with - it has two PII400's (not fast, but hey, it's SMP), six SCSI hotswap drives, etc. However, it's also loud as all get-out, and the main culprit is the power supply's integrated fan. The only other fans - 2 120mm case fans - are much quieter, but would probably be the logical next step.

However, this server has one heck of a strange power supply. Between the 24-pin motherboard connecter and the 16-pin SCSI backplane connector I'm thinking I won't be able to do anything short of taking apart the power supply and replacing its internal fan.

Anyone have any suggestions? Here's the specs (p17-19, sorry about the PDF):
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... /34365.pdf

Thanks - glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoys a quiet work environment. :)

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:22 am

Page 77 says there's a system setup category that "Sets the fan to full speed or a lower, noise reduction speed."

Have you tried it?

Page 18 shows the power supply has "Pin 21 — Thermal fan-speed control (TFSC) is a power-supply input signal used to control power-supply fan speed in special applications." So the setting probably works for the PSU as well.

There are three fan headers on the motherboard. Is one disconnected?

diamondsw

Post by diamondsw » Wed Jul 14, 2004 11:29 am

Thanks for helping! I tried the lower speed setting in the BIOS - negligible difference, unfortunately. As for the three connectors and two fans, FAN2 is unused for whatever reason. Then again, this motherboard has a USB-capable chipset (root hub shows up in Windows and Linux) but no actual USB ports, so it's not the most optimized design...