Water Cooled Power Supplies?

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Edwood

Water Cooled Power Supplies?

Post by Edwood » Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:02 am

Anyone have any experience with one?

The only one's I've seen are Silentmaxx's (boo) and Aqua Computer's Aqua Current. (they look remarkedly similar).

After having a Silentmaxx Prosilence 350 die on me, I am going to probably go the way of watercooling rather than passive cooling.

I would like to have a watercooled PSU, but was wondering if anyone could share their experiences, good and bad.

Thanks,
-Ed

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:49 am

Anyone?

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:54 pm

Do you really want to risk your life with a non-UL approved water-cooled PSU?

Nebor

Post by Nebor » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:18 pm

larrymoencurly wrote:Do you really want to risk your life with a non-UL approved water-cooled PSU?
You ever come up with anything new to say? Risk your LIFE? Come on...

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ight=water

Becks

Post by Becks » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:39 pm

I don't see that much of a risk, I don't know what I'm talking about tho. If it did short out somehow, the fuse in the powersupply would blow pretty darn fast.. even if you had your hand on the powersupply or the radiator, the electricity has a nice path through ground wires to the ground, youre very high resistance and most likely have no path to the ground.... hey you could do one better and use that fluidXP liquid in your system, its non-conductive right? Its bout $35/gallon which isn't that expensive, thats like going out to dinner or somethin one day :P.

Becks

Post by Becks » Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:50 pm

oops i keep hitting post too soon, i have no experience with wced powersupplies, I have looked into them but havn't really been that happy with them. If someone sold a modded seasonic powersupply (80%eff) i'd look into it... I'm not sure what my problem is really, but i have a problem buying a poweruspply that isn't antec/pcpoewrcooling/seasonic... not sure why what my prolblem is heh...

talking about the dangerous, heres something worse... seasonic's tornado ps's have the 120mm fan, inside them there are 2 basically al plates that are cut to make it look more like a heatsink... what if you went in there and flattened it out, bout zalman's videocard waterblock kit (comes with 2 waterblocks, depending on yoru gfx card), also bought some nonconductive thermal tape, put one waterblock on each piece of al... use a Y splitter on each side and runt he waterblocks in aprallel.... low resistance... 80%ef @ 200w draw is only 50w of heat, 25w per block which is less than any video card you'd need to watercvool... $60 for a 300w seasonic, $30 for the waterblock kit, $10 for a nonconductive tim.... $100 hehe and you thoguht buying a premade wced ps was unsafe :P

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:11 am

larrymoencurly wrote:Do you really want to risk your life with a non-UL approved water-cooled PSU?
Really?

You do realize that swapping out fans and modding of any electrical component in your computer voids it's UL listing?

I find it hard to believe that commercially sold water cooled power supplies are UL listed. The only one available I've seen so far is Aqua Computer's. But it looks like a dead ringer to SilentMaxx's. Ugh, I would hope not.

The only other option then is to mod a PSU and void it's UL Listing. :rolleyes:

-Ed

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:08 pm

You do realize that swapping out fans and modding of any electrical component in your computer voids it's UL listing?

A new fan will void the UL listing but probably won't really change anything, unlike a PSU water cooling mod.

I know I sound like a broken record on the subject of water cooling, but I just don't like the idea of the high voltage components being insulated from the water by nothing but .01" thick material.

Edwood

Post by Edwood » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:01 pm

OK, back on the subject, is there anyone here that is into water cooling in general that has any experience with water cooled power supplies other than theorhetical nay-sayers? :rolleyes:

-Ed

wim

Post by wim » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:50 am

larrymoencurly wrote:I know I sound like a broken record on the subject of water cooling, but I just don't like the idea of the high voltage components being insulated from the water by nothing but .01" thick material.
then you do it with a psu where the heatsinks aren't 'high voltage components' ... i still haven't come across a psu with live heatsinks

i think watercooled psu is a great idea. but i'd probably rather build one myself than buy one of the existing things..

Nebor

Post by Nebor » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:35 pm

For the record, I'm a theoretical yay-sayer. Go on man, get one!

zséé

psu mods

Post by zséé » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:36 pm

hey everyone! i just registered.
what i wanted to say is, watercooling an ATX psu isn't impossible, or very dangerous for that matter. every problem you mentioned is easy to deal with (just use the very common mica isolator pads, they are guaranteed for like 1500volts. can your wall plug say that?), feel free to ask me if you have a particular question. i just modded a 230w ATX psu, i removed the fan and added a large heatsink. it works like a charm (20celsius above ambient at 1/3 load, with an undersized heatsink. i went cheap on this one, but it was my first). i also tried another method, moving hot components to a heatsink and connecting it with wires, but it didn't work, the 5v and 3.3v voltage dropped because of the extension cable (i tried different lengths, about an inch of 1mm diam. copper was still ok, but no more. the transistors can be moved, the schottkies can't. some claim to have had better luck. i dunno) i'm thinking of watercooling the next patient, a 420w imbpf. this one won't likely run with a large heatsink, altough i'll try that too when i have spare time. the procedure i used on the 230w is the same as i would mount a waterblock. i replaced the old sinks with 2 L shaped aluminum pieces (40*25*4mm), and screwed on the large heatsink (or copper waterblock) to the flat surface they make (thermal grease everywhere!). the components then went back to their original place, with a large heatsink this time. every component is isolated from the heatsink, which can be grounded like the rest of the computer case, so there is no way that (or the waterblock) shocks you. but it can kill the psu if it leaks and soaks the pcb. that's what i fear.
anyway, i hope this discussion gets going again.

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:07 am

i still haven't come across a psu with live heatsinks

The ones I've seen were in a Powmax (much better than those made now), Delta, Antec SmartPower, and an Enermax EG365P-VD. I believe that except for the Powmax, all the transistors were insulated from the heatsink.

I worry about the insulators failing because of what I've read in sci.electronics.repair. Most of the problems seem to be with very thin transparent brown plastic insulators, but one person said that his TV or monitor kept blowing replacement transistors until he quit using mica insulators rated for too little voltage. I've had two insulator problems myself, both with micas. A transistor in a stereo receiver shorted because the threaded hole in the heatsink protruded sightly, and the transistor for a simple homemade linear PSU kept measuring roughly 500K ohms against the heatsink, even though the heatsink and transistor were flat and smooth and the mica insulators seemed perfect. Both transistors were in low voltage circuits.

apd

Post by apd » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:40 am

just for kicks. This guy hates fans and loves water cooling.

http://www.zfz.com/projects.asp?request ... 50w&page=1

The zero fan zone.

nutball
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by nutball » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:44 pm

apd wrote:just for kicks. This guy hates fans and loves water cooling.

http://www.zfz.com/projects.asp?request ... 50w&page=1

The zero fan zone.
Woo, that's some pretty l33t engineering skilz!

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:22 am

zséé, Welcome to SPCR ! 8)